Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2020, 09:02   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Winter is getting to me; 4 footits

Its 18 degrees out and I'm getting cabin fever.

We bought our boat this past summer with the specific intention that its going to be a 2-3 season boat; get some experience and then get the forever boat.

Unfortunately, I've already got 4 footits and looking to bump up to 32' from 28'

Why?
  • More living space below deck, we specifically want to have enough room to have another couple to sleep on board for one or two nights.
  • More clear deck space for ease of travel fore aft.
  • More cockpit space
  • Added peace of mind for my wife who is new to sailing

As I'm sitting here day dreaming and doing some research and I'm focusing on the Sabre 32 or the Ericson 32-3. Both in the middle 1980's range. (budget is about $25,000)

One thing I like about them is the table that slides down for the second big berth.

Both boats seem to have decent reviews for construction, with the Sabre coming out somewhat ahead.

Help me get through winter with a discussion of the merits of the above and other ideas.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 10:07   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Winter is getting to me; 4 footits

Better deals are found in the fall. Sail what you have this summer with the intent to move up in the fall. Depending on your market I would post for sale in the spring and you might have it sold before fall (in most cases) but the smaller boats do tend to move a little faster.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 12:41   #3

Does anybody know which version of the Sabre has the table that slides down for the berth?

Also I know that the Sabre is known for having rot problems where the masts rests at the keel. Any experience or comments?
Old 21-01-2020, 13:50   #4

4-footitis can be expensive, though not as much as 2-footitis. IMHO, you just don't get enough to justify the slight jump. I don't think I'd make a jump less than 6. If you're prepared to make a jump from a 28 to a 32, then a 34 isn't really that much more of a stretch.

However, I admit the time you have between jumps is almost too short to make larger jumps in size. I'd stick with the original 2-3 year plan, then move to a 34-36.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 14:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
4-footitis can be expensive, though not as much as 2-footitis. IMHO, you just don't get enough to justify the slight jump. I don't think I'd make a jump less than 6. If you're prepared to make a jump from a 28 to a 32, then a 34 isn't really that much more of a stretch.

However, I admit the time you have between jumps is almost too short to make larger jumps in size. I'd stick with the original 2-3 year plan, then move to a 34-36.
Funny you should mention that. There is a Sabre 34 two harbors up from us at a "too good to be true price". Maybe I'll go and see why its too good to be true.
Old 22-01-2020, 08:20   #6

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

For your budget you could easily step into an Ericson 35. My favorite is the 38 but prices are higher although I have two friends that bought them well below asking price.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 08:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
For your budget you could easily step into an Ericson 35. My favorite is the 38 but prices are higher although I have two friends that bought them well below asking price.
Some folks just down the dock bought one in Wisconsin late in the season and brought it over. Pretty thing! That's what got me thinking about the 32'

I haven't done the math yet, but I need to calculate the proportionally increasing costs of slip and hard costs, vs length and utility for us.

Good news is I have a year and half to consider it.
Old 22-01-2020, 09:11   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The two year, forever thing works for some, but not for me.

I'm on my forth boat (not counting kayaks and the like), and each has been close to 10 years. If I chose well, 2 years isn't nearly enough to get he fun out of it. After 10 years, I just want something different, and not just 2-footits different. Very different. The type of sailing I want to do changes.

In fact, I believe thinking in terms of "forever" is silly. Like you really know what kind of sailing you will be doing at 65. Will the long cruise happen, or will you find day sailing more fun? There is no one boat that is right for all futures.

* Beach cat. Perfect for learning and going fast.

* 27' Kevlar performance cat. Going very fast and some cruising.

* 34' cruising cat. Cruising... kinna fast but also very comfortable, with heat/AC, shower, galley etc.

* 24' trimaran. The ultimate daysailer.

I'd jump at the chance to take any of them out again. I had a Prindle 19 out the other day. Whooppee!
Old 22-01-2020, 10:25   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
Some folks just down the dock bought one in Wisconsin late in the season and brought it over. Pretty thing! That's what got me thinking about the 32'

I haven't done the math yet, but I need to calculate the proportionally increasing costs of slip and hard costs, vs length and utility for us.

Good news is I have a year and half to consider it.
Keep the one you've got for at least another season. 4 feet is not going to change the weather up there

The good news is that you're in the Great Lakes (fresh water) so any boat you buy will be in better shape than one from Florida.

After that, see how much stress selling your current boat will be and replace it with something you won't be selling for awhile. Maybe like a 36'er or bigger. Yes they cost more to maintain and store but they'll provide a lot more range in what you can comfortably do with your boat. Theoretically you could circumnavigate with your current boat but you'd need to be a masochist to do so - something I doubt your wife would be happy with. Think real shower, galley and room for two couples (maybe a center cockpit model) and perhaps HVAC and a washing machine if you want to get fancy.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 05:51   #10

Here's one to consider - of the same pedigree and caibre to Sabre and Ericson (and not too far away from Michigan - just east of Toronto) *Also remember the price is in Canadian dollars

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/osh...-35/1458822132

I was considering Sabres for a while myself, but they're more of a weekender-type boat (to my mind, anyway) not a "forever-boat" , as you said.

Good luck with your contemplations!

You know, the last 4 days of the Toronto Boat Show are on this week (goes to the 26th) www.torontoboatshow.com. For myself, I find that attendance at the show and seeing as many of their free educational seminars (with lots of stories and pictures of the Caribbean, BVIs, Bahamas and ICW) is a GREAT mitigation to our Northern cold and snow doldrums....

Perhaps an impromptu road trip?!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 06:53   #11

Thanks for the ongoing feedback. Its what I was hoping for. You are right, the weather in Michigan isn't going to change soon....sadly.

I am open to other boat ideas, sizes, etc. So fire away.

I think I need to start a more formal list for the next boat.

Big enough to legitimately sleep 4 generally more living and cooking space.
Reasonably clear deck runs to mast and prow
Cockpit for 6 (my Spirit actually sits 6 in relative comfort)
Shower (not necessarily stand alone)
Traveler either before the cabin hatch or after the helm.

Need to expand that list.

A forever boat is certainly relative. Maybe its "forever" until I decide its not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
You know, the last 4 days of the Toronto Boat Show are on this week (goes to the 26th) www.torontoboatshow.com. For myself, I find that attendance at the show and seeing as many of their free educational seminars (with lots of stories and pictures of the Caribbean, BVIs, Bahamas and ICW) is a GREAT mitigation to our Northern cold and snow doldrums....

Perhaps an impromptu road trip?!
That was such a compelling idea that I asked my son if he was working this weekend and could come. Unfortunately he is and my wife is out of town. I can only imagine the party that would happen while I'm in Toronto at a boat show.
Old 23-01-2020, 08:23   #12

Boat: Hylas 49

Look at C&C 34s and 35s. A little faster than the Sabre or Ericcson. Just be sure the deck is dry.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 13:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Look at C&C 34s and 35s. A little faster than the Sabre or Ericcson. Just be sure the deck is dry.
I just saw your location. I was in Severna Park HS class of '84. Any chance we crossed paths?
Old 23-01-2020, 18:30   #14

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

2' itis
Its a real thing and can be a bit scary. I crept up from a sunfish (14') to a 30' pearson, to a 27' hunter over a 30 year period thinking I would get the dream boat in the future and then age got in the way and I bought a 41'. All I can add is time is fleeting, it doesn't cost much more to move up in LOA, larger boats are easier to sail and avoid being finally with the boat you always dreamed of and your not physically capable any longer. liquidate that savings partially and do it sooner rather than later.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 06:15   #15

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
Thanks for the ongoing feedback. Its what I was hoping for. You are right, the weather in Michigan isn't going to change soon....sadly.

I am open to other boat ideas, sizes, etc. So fire away.

I think I need to start a more formal list for the next boat.

Big enough to legitimately sleep 4 generally more living and cooking space.
Reasonably clear deck runs to mast and prow
Cockpit for 6 (my Spirit actually sits 6 in relative comfort)
Shower (not necessarily stand alone)
Traveler either before the cabin hatch or after the helm.

Need to expand that list.

A forever boat is certainly relative. Maybe its "forever" until I decide its not.

That was such a compelling idea that I asked my son if he was working this weekend and could come. Unfortunately he is and my wife is out of town. I can only imagine the party that would happen while I'm in Toronto at a boat show.
Focus on things you can't change as your buying criterion. Stuff like travelers can usually be added later but you'd be hard pressed to make a bigger cockpit or stand alone shower.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote