Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 08:25   #16

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5
Re: Why Not a C&C ?

In my research on used boats I have come to really appreciate and respect the many reviews that are available that were written by Jack Hornor, marine architect, SAMS certified surveyor and former chairman of the American Boat and Yacht Council. Over 90 of his reviews of some of the most well-known boats appear on the SpinSheet dot com website. He says that some C&C boats had iron ballast and some had lead. He says that the boats with steel keel bolts and iron ballast need to be checked very closely for rust and many will have to be completely rebuilt to make them safe and seaworthy.

I was very sorry to find out that he died last year at 68 or I would have very likely used him to survey any boat I might look at along the East Coast.
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:29   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

OK, I managed to stay out of this one as long as I could but the temptation was too much.
I had a C&C 38 for many years and loved it, I've also sailed on a couple different models, 37+, 41 and they all had the same characteristics that made them so much fun for me. Good sailing manners, great upwind performance, well balanced helm, tremendous tactile feedback, etc, etc.
Although most were built to IOR rules they didn't take them to the extreme like many others, they tended toward more balanced designs. I will say though that the 38 I had did tend to be a bit sqirrely downwind in a big following sea if you had all the canvas up, but that's doing 10-11 knots surfing it with lots of canvas out, it required a steady hand on the wheel, but when sailed more conservatively not much of a problem. I sailed that boat in dicey conditions and never felt unsafe due to the ability of the boat, more from my own lack of capability at the time.
Limited tankage, definitely, but there are ways around that, large sail area to displacement, sure, but you can reef early and have no issues. You can make a fast boat slower, but you cant make a slow boat faster.
Mine was comfortable enough and well built, steady in a seaway and just too much fun to sail.
As for what to look for in issues or possible problems there are several other threads here from the past that address those. Many of those issues are dependent on how well maintained the previous owners kept it, cored decks and hulls on any model can suffer if not taken care of.
If not for the expanding nature of my family cruising crew I'd probably still be sailing it.
I little research and a good surveyor will go a long way toward getting a good boat.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:57   #18

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I have a 27 mk3 and like you am 61, I solo mine all the time. Like its just me and i find the c&c's to be easy sailing boats. I prefer it's sailing characteristics over a mid 30s hunter, which admittedly is not a performance boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-01-2016, 17:55   #19

Boat: C&C 34
Why Not a C&C ?

I have a C & C 34 built in 1978. It was sailed across the Pacific a few years ago and I purchased it in Fremantle in 2014.

The rigging had been changed to wire and the original motor replaced with a diesel Volvo.

When looking for a yacht to upgrade from Hobie Cats and Lasers (it was time to grow up and get my bum out of the water,) I wanted a larger volume boat that would be safe and easy to sail single handed. It had to look sufficiently sturdy enough that my recalcitrant family would get on!

I (we) looked at Coles, UFO, Swansons etc and a couple of hundred S & S 34's ( including all of the moderately good, the bad and the really awful.) for budget it was a case of newer and smaller or older and larger.

The C & C was one of the first we looked at and the more we looked at other boats the more we liked the C & C because of the space available, the higher enclosed cockpit with good seating, comfortable steering position etc. The boat just felt more stable and comfortable. The cabin is ok with enough space and the both the front berth and quarter birth are very comfortable. We were fortunate they the previous owners had done a very good job of upgrading the creature comforts with new cushions on the seats, new gas stove, new fridge and LED lighting. I would like a hatch in the main cabin roof to increase ventilation (42c in Perth last week,) but other than that the general layout works well.

There was no keel smile but we re torque the bolts whenever the boat is out of the water.

The surveyor said the hull was good with a small blister or two. I asked was it anything to worry about and he just shrugged and said "it hasn't sunk yet and it's not going to"

The sailing has been great. We have done a number of longer passages and sail 2-3 times a week locally. We have taken 5 teenage girls away for a weekend without too much squabbling and had a couple of weeks on board for holidays without any problems. It sits on a mooring n comfort whilst the fishers of the family do their thing.

The boat handles really well, is easy to sail and keep upright. It points reasonably well to wind ( good for JaM racing on Saturday afternoons,) and goes ok downwind. We added a whisker pole last month so we can get the headsail pole out and that added a couple of knots downwind. If Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1452909323.015032.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	116798it had couple of self tailing winches my life would be (almost) complete.

So that's what we bought and it's been great.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mandurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 08:48   #20

fyi, here are some new pics of my 73' C&C-30

Boat Story by Jim Colman (jcolman_photo) | Photobucket
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:19   #21

Boat: rodman 1250 adv

Hi-all members,

I looking to buy aluminum yachts and I have found one it is Garcia 57 built 200/8 . I have seen the yachts it looks new but it is out of the water in boat yard over 7 years it only sailed very little. I am not familiar with aluminum hull Any comment or advice very much appreciated.

Allin
Mohallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 15:57   #22

I don't know, why not?

I've owned three of them over the past 20 years. All excellent. Lived aboard and extensively cruised a 51.

Not much discussion here as (1) they aren't made any longer and (2) most C&C owners are on the photo album list. Very knowledgeable group.

Not aware of any "bad" years that should be avoided. The later years saw better interior finish (like most builders). Most hulls are cored which isn't an issue unless it is.

Good luck

John
Penceler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 20:39   #23

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

C&C is alive and well, just google C&C, you'll see the new companies models, not your dad's C&C, but then again what is? I don't see a boat that fills the void left by the traditional C&C line, a racer cruiser that delivers a family boat that can win Wednesday night beer can races, cruise on family vacations comfortably, compete in offshore racing confidently, like the Newport/ Bermuda race and supply an all around level of owner satisfaction.
I've crewed on J's and found them spartan, great boats but not necessarily an all around, family boat, great for racing but..... Benetau has produced some good performing boats but I've found the ones I've skippered kind of cold and numb to the feel, with the cruising models a bit slow but comfortable and the racing models a bit numb to the feel. All good boats, but lacking in all around versatility. I'm not knocking them but feel they didn't scratch that itch.
I haven't skippered one of the new models, but would sure like to, just to see if they "got it".
In the mean time, it's tough to go wrong with one of the older models, as long as it's been well taken care of. Cruising one? A bit spartan for long distance cruising but can be made livable with some modification and will make up for it's short comings with sailing satisfaction. For an all around boat? Right on the mark.
Of course my long term cruising boat is a 40,000 lb center cockpit barge, but i still miss my C&C, if I were single or with a significant other and no kids it would be a different story.......
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 21:10   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

There were many C&C boats in the race fleets on the Great Lakes in the 70's & 80's when I raced there. I always thought they sailed well in all conditions. With light air sails, they even performed pretty well in low wind conditions. If you want to consider a boat of this vintage, I suggest you look here. Fresh water, short seasons, less UV damage, no blister issues. Most boats only go out on nice weekends. Even a race boat will be in better shape than a salt-water boat.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 13:30   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Current C&C 29 mk2 owner here. Have sailed and raced the 27MkIII and MkV, the 33 34 and 36. Also the Jacket Tartan 99. ( different boat and builder altogether.)

As everyone has said, they are a great sailing boat and I just love rolling 35 and 40 footers in my 29 on a light air day. I also have a newer Jeanneau 36 and the 29 will easily giver her a run for the money on any point of sail.

Every boat has it's achilles heel and for the pre 90's C&C's I would say it is the balsa cored decks. During the fabrication, deck hardware was simply installed by drilling through the deck and bedding the hardware. No epoxy to protect the core. ( not unlike today ) Over the years, many owners have moved hardware around or installed new hardware and did the same thing. Bedding compound has limited life and subsequently, by the time a leak was discovered and dealt with, the core was already wet.

If you find a yard with 10 C&C's you will likely find 7 wet decks. Every single C&C I have sailed has had elevated moisture in the decks along with the rudder.

I re cored three areas on the deck of my 29 when I bought it and I was expecting that going in. If you find a dry one, I would pull the hardware and oversize the holes then fill with epoxy and re drill at the smaller size, leaving an epoxy barrier protecting the core.

Big bang for the buck sailing wise, even if you need to do some work.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 14:30   #26

Boat: Hylas 49

I have a 1983 35. I'm doing my second Annapolis to Bermuda race on her in June. She may be up for sale after that. She has been a great boat. We took third in class in Annapolis to Newport last summer

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 14:32   #27

Old thread, but lots of posts.
I just had my bid accepted on a 1988 C&C 30 MkII. It is in really really great shape visually and has had a lot of updates, etc, maintenance, and well cared for. I'm having a survey in a week or so.
I plan to live aboard it and love the two cabins with doors on a 30' boat. The only down side is the small fuel tank, but I can carry more. Holding is pretty good for a 30' boat. Many I looked at were 9-15 with 15gal being common.

I need to install A/C on mine.
Anyone done this on a C&C 30MkII want to share where you put it and where you ducted it? Not much room to do that on a 30'. I will put a refrigerator in the ice box, but that seems easy and I'll do an air cooled one to keep costs down. I will be sailing 1 year on the Chesapeake and then 3 years in Corpus Christi, TX before selling for a larger boat. This is to get my feet wet in sailing.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 15:02   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Balsa bottoms over 32' and most are nearing the end of their lives.
There are two types of 33's .... those with rebuilt mast steps (big job)and those that need them.
Old 29-04-2016, 19:01   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner View Post
In my research on used boats I have come to really appreciate and respect the many reviews that are available that were written by Jack Hornor, marine architect, SAMS certified surveyor and former chairman of the American Boat and Yacht Council. Over 90 of his reviews of some of the most well-known boats appear on the SpinSheet dot com website. He says that some C&C boats had iron ballast and some had lead. He says that the boats with steel keel bolts and iron ballast need to be checked very closely for rust and many will have to be completely rebuilt to make them safe and seaworthy.

I was very sorry to find out that he died last year at 68 or I would have very likely used him to survey any boat I might look at along the East Coast.
I've surveyed somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 C&C's, never seen one with an iron keel. Which models do you know to have iron ?
Old 29-04-2016, 21:20   #30

I agree with I think they are fine boats and a good value. Friend of ours picked up C&C 36 on the Chesapeake Bay for $15K last year, then put some sweat and about $10-15K in it. He's already taken it down the ICW to the Keys for the winter and returned. Not bad for less than $30K invested.

_____
kapal

Tags
c&c