Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 21:27   #31

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58
Re: Why Not a C&C ?

few things to be aware of wit C&C.

1. they are balsa cored hull, which scares off many cruisers. that being said however I've heard of very few C&C's having wet core issues due to construction problems, every "wet core" C&C I've come across has been due to a collision of one kind of anther. also like many boats they have a balsa cored deck/cabin trunk. don't be scared off by this. just be sure to have a thorough survey done.

2. with the exception of a few models these are boats that were designed as a racer/cruisers with a strong bias towards racing. as such you will find that they tend to have small tankage and they also are more picky in regards to sail trim and some can be a bit tender. also with racing in mind many of them have a traveler across the cockpit.

3. again getting back to their racing inclinations some of them have rather powered up rigs which can make them a handful if you wait to long to shorten sail. on the flip side however with a powered up rig they tend to sail much better in light air than many similarly sized cruising boats.

4. understand that these are boats of the IOR racing era and as a result of the hull shapes that were garnered favorable IOR ratings they can be pretty squirelly downwind.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 06:28   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

I don't know why people make blanket statements of C&C's having cored hulls. This is simply not true. It depends on the actual boat. I have had three different C&C boats in my life, none of which had cored hulls.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 16:20   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
few things to be aware of wit C&C.

1. they are balsa cored hull, which scares off many cruisers. that being said however I've heard of very few C&C's having wet core issues due to construction problems, every "wet core" C&C I've come across has been due to a collision of one kind of anther. also like many boats they have a balsa cored deck/cabin trunk. don't be scared off by this. just be sure to have a thorough survey done.

2. with the exception of a few models these are boats that were designed as a racer/cruisers with a strong bias towards racing. as such you will find that they tend to have small tankage and they also are more picky in regards to sail trim and some can be a bit tender. also with racing in mind many of them have a traveler across the cockpit.

3. again getting back to their racing inclinations some of them have rather powered up rigs which can make them a handful if you wait to long to shorten sail. on the flip side however with a powered up rig they tend to sail much better in light air than many similarly sized cruising boats.

4. understand that these are boats of the IOR racing era and as a result of the hull shapes that were garnered favorable IOR ratings they can be pretty squirelly downwind.
I agree on the light air capability, but like any boat you can reef early and avoid being overpowered, even if you do leave too much sail up they still handle it without being out of control. They still handle well when overpowered , it's just more work r than it needs to be.
As for the IOR shape, C&C took a rather conservative approach and leaned more toward overall sailing capability and not towards the ultimate rule beater, true, some boats of that era could be a handful, but the C&C's I've sailed and owned had good all around sailing manners. The only time I've had any squirrely handling was with way too big a spinaker for the conditions with a good sized following sea, the boat was surfing at 11-12 knots hull speed and needed a bit more attention at the wheel than usual, but that's what happens when the crew is all guys, offshore, out of range of their smarter other halves.
Every boat has coring in one place or another, I've never had an issue with any hull core in the C&C's I've been around, but, like any boat with a cored deck, which is pretty much 90% of the sailboats out there, it's a good idea to check the deck for wet spots. The health of the deck core is directly related to the care and maintenance it received during it's life. I tend to find that the deck hardware needs to be rebedded every 5 -7 years, some high use, high stress pieces more often if you want to maintain a good dry deck core. It's doubtful most owners do that.
Previous hull damage is a whole different animal, but that's the same for every boat, the quality of the repair is the
determining factor.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 18:31   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

For information on C&C's here is a website with all of the original brochures of most models. It will tell you which ones have cored hulls. For the most part, first and second generation models were built with solid hulls. The later models were cored. This is generally referring to performance boats, not Landfalls. Therefore, if you are looking at a C&C ** Mk11, it is likely a solid hull. If it is a C&C ** MkIII, it is likely cored. The majority are solid.

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

There were three factories, Niagara Ontario, Middletown, Rhode Island and one in Germany. Some C&C's were built under license such as the Trapper in the UK and some were kit boats, such as the Viking 22's 28's and 33's.

Most will have elevated moisture levels in the deck as would any 30 to 40 year old boat. Some owners, myself included, have re cored the decks and sealed the core from all penetrations with epoxy.

Generally, with few exceptions, they sail very well.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c