Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2021, 10:18   #1

Why Do I Have Two Jib Fairleads Per Side?

My sloop comes from the factory with a single jib winch and fairlead on either side but my boat has two winches and fairleads per side as well as a spinnaker block on either corner of the stern. Not sure what it's all for. A previous owner raced the boat rather successfully so I guess he added the equipment for good reason.

My cap shrouds are are only a few inches inside the toe-rail so it's not a vey close-winded boat. I'm wondering if the second winch/fairlead is to sheet a jib inside the cap-shrouds for better pointing ability.

Last time I cruised the boat there were mostly light winds but the one time I got stuck in heavier weather I found the sheeting angle on the #4 jib to be unsuitable for going upwind. Unfortunately, the last time I sailed the boat was over 16 months ago so details are hazy. Anyone know what the extra gear is for?
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Why Do I Have Two Jib Fairleads Per Side?

My boat has two tracks for headsail leads. The 100% sheets to inboard track and sheet runs inside the cap shroud. The overlapping jibs sheets run to the track on the rail and outside the cap shroud.

The second winch on the coaming is for trimming the spinnaker. It's a racer thing.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 15:28   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

What kind of boat is this? I'm a little skeptical that running the lead inside of the shrouds will yield much advantage unless it is a fairly high performance boat. Or is it pretty beamy?

The second winch is for the spinnaker. After the sheet leaves the block on the deck (coming aft) it doesn't change the lead to send it to a different winch.

Are the 2 fairleads blocks on a single track? If so, one is for jib and the other genoa.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 17:43   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

The second winch has two purposes: the first purpose is for the spinnaker, as are the cheek blocks on the stern. The second purpose is for you when you're single handling. I run my jib sheet through the jib car, then through the cheek block, then to the second winch so I can much easier trim the jib while single handling. I don't have to leave the helm to trim the jib.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 18:04   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Are the 2 fairleads blocks on a single track? If so, one is for jib and the other genoa.
Good question. The OP didn't specify and I've sailed some boats with two blocks on one track and some with two separate tracks.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 19:51   #6

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Why Do I Have Two Jib Fairleads Per Side?

I typically have two blocks on the toe rail track and one on the inner track.

When I’ve flown a symmetrical chute with separate sheets and guys the guys are led to the rail.
This gives a better lead angle for more down force on the pole. It also lets you crank in both guys with the pole off to stabilize the chute while jibing in heavy breeze.

The other toe rail block is used for a jib sheet hooked on for reaching. This allows the lead to be outboard and forward for more power.
The car (block) on the inner track is mostly for upwind.
A second block in any case makes flying headsail changes easier while racing.
Say you are on starboard tack. The jib is in the port luff groove. Put the new jib in the starboard luff groove with the new jib sheet led to the second block on the starboard side. Hoist the new jib inside the old jib. Tack and trim in the new jib. Now drop the old jib on deck inside the new jib. Move the lazy sheet and you are all set.
If by chance you find you must tack while in the middle of all this (two jibs, one halfway up) you will be on port tack with sheets for both the inside and outside jibs. So no troubles.

I have found that many of the maneuvers and skills I learned from full crew racing are valuable while short handed cruising. Just take your time.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 05:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

With 2 winches and fair leads I am assuming they are separate tracks.

As others posted- it is for sail shape. Contrary to what others said it is NOT a racer thing! It is good sailing.

A sail is an airfoil (ie wing) placed on end. So if the wind is aft of the beam, the job starts to develop a hook. That hook reduces the power delivered by the sail.

If I am delivering ab FP cat, and will be on a broad reach for some time- I will rig a barber haul to move the job sheet outwards.

On you boat, I would rig a second job sheet- or walk the lazy sheet around, run it through the second fairlead and onto the second winch. This would (if outboard) open up the jib’s tack- or if moved to the inboard fairlead, move the sheet inboard and let her sail closer to the wind.

Whew! Hope that makes sense. If not PM
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 09:55   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

1. Sheeting headsail in two different angles, using two sheets per side.
2. Two different sized headsail. Each on the track that suits its leech position.
Old 15-01-2021, 11:56   #9

Boat: Westerly Konsort 29'

Most yachts lead the genoa sheets outside the shrouds, and then to a fairlead. Some yachts have a second fairlead for when a small jib is used in stronger winds. The allows the jib sheets to be lead inside the shrouds.
RogerLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 14:03   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Obvious if there are two tracks on each side thus you need a car on each track. However, handy for quite a few reasons as mentioned by others.
If the cars are pin stop blocks then the second car with the lazy sheet or another sheet temporarily run through it to the second winch can take the weight of the headsail to adjust the primary car position if stuck on along tack whist racing. I can think of many reasons for two cars. The more I think about it the more I like the idea. I sail on a few with two cars but they have two tracks. I think I will put an extra car on my boat even though it only has one winch and one track. Really good as I said to take the weight of the headsail so the pin stop car can be adjusted.
philcun50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 14:47   #11

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I have found that many of the maneuvers and skills I learned from full crew racing are valuable while short handed cruising. Just take your time.

In past posts I endorsed crewing on club style races, as a means of learning much faster and cheaper than doing all the learning on your own boat. Others have replied that they learned nothing on a racecourse that would have helped them to be a better cruiser. If that was their experience then then perhaps they weren't paying attention.

Of course you can begin by racing your own boat if you feel comfortable with that, depending on your experience level.
If the OP has a boat that can race in class association or as PHRF, and can find a little temporary help from a more experienced sailor/racer, he will learn lots about his boat very quickly.

Tags
jib