Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 02:07   #31

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Why are the Amel Super Maramu SO ugly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Ever try to get the starter motor off the Yanmar powered model ? Major un-plumbing and un-wiring job.Real PITA.
Blue Stocking....Congratulations! How long did it take you to find the one part on the boat that's tough to get at to work on. Replaced my starter last week in a couple of hours. I'll take that though, given the ridiculously good access to pretty much every other main system.

Steady Hand.....Minor point, but a couple of the exterior photos are actually of an older Mango or a Maramu. In addition to some hull, equipment and layout differences, visually there are a number of differences, but the main one is the stern. Regarding the floor boards.......pre-2000 Super Maramu's didn't have the blue floorboards.

To the OP. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. While you're dreaming and superficially kicking tires, I'll go back to cruising full time with my family on a boat that's taken us halfway around the world so far and makes us smile every time we come back to her. Best of luck in your hunt.

Now, off to find which one of the 50 cabinets my wife put the good rum from Martinique in. Hey look at that sunset...and both fridges have ice cubes in them! All's good.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:36   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Henri Amel died in 2005.
Roche Marine - HISTORY

I don’t see any blue floors, nor yellow sinks, in their current offering.
Roche Marine - GALLERY

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:59   #33

Boat: Only dreams so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Henri Amel died in 2005.
Roche Marine - HISTORY

I don’t see any blue floors, nor yellow sinks, in their current offering.
Roche Marine - GALLERY
Well that's just beautiful. They got it right, finally.
Nellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:00   #34

Boat: Only dreams so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
To the OP. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. While you're dreaming and superficially kicking tires, I'll go back to cruising full time with my family on a boat that's taken us halfway around the world so far and makes us smile every time we come back to her. Best of luck in your hunt.
I'm happy for you

I'm not kicking tires. I'm saving up and doing research and studying for the ship exam over the winter.
Ready to sail and learn in 2016.
Ready for bigger and longer sail in 2017, I hope.
Nellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:10   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTanned View Post
The answer is simple, the designer, builder, is legally blind. ...
Beat me too it! The interior looked fine to him!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:26   #36

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:33   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
Blue Stocking....Congratulations! How long did it take you to find the one part on the boat that's tough to get at to work on. Replaced my starter last week in a couple of hours. I'll take that though, given the ridiculously good access to pretty much every other main system.

Steady Hand.....Minor point, but a couple of the exterior photos are actually of an older Mango or a Maramu. In addition to some hull, equipment and layout differences, visually there are a number of differences, but the main one is the stern. Regarding the floor boards.......pre-2000 Super Maramu's didn't have the blue floorboards.

Now, off to find which one of the 50 cabinets my wife put the good rum from Martinique in. Hey look at that sunset...and both fridges have ice cubes in them! All's good.
I enjoyed reading your post above.
Good points!

Yes, the photos I posted were from my Amel Maramu file, which does have mostly photos from the boats built in the 1990s mixed models. I did not tag those photos by specific model or year, so kept them in my mixed file on Amel
Maramu.

I would enjoy any of them.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:38   #38

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Our SM looks very good after our refit. We have a new modern boat with a nearly new Volvo TMD 22 (<700 hrs), A Onan genset of <400 hrs, new standing and running rigging, teak flooring, Corian galley, modern appliances.

A refit will cure the "dated" items on an SM. She still remains a superb blue water boat which is what we wanted. Far better value for money than HR/Oysters etc... IMO of course.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:42   #39
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone have a photo of the "blue floor (sole" mentioned earlier?

I have seen two boats with a blue floor (rubber nonskid) and neither was an Amel.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:13   #40

I dont really mind the yellow..or really even the blue..BUT the heavily grainy looking "wood" does put me off a bit. Could be just the one I have seen..I am sure there are options. I prefer a lighter interior to give the space more of an open feel..you know, small spaces should never be dark colors, etc. Maybe the blue was meant to give you the impression that you are actually on the water when you are inside rather than just when in the cockpit. Dont know. I do know that if I had the money to buy this boat I would not let the floor color deter me.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 14:21   #41

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A few weeks ago we were anchored in Baie Kuto on the Ile de Pins in New Caledonia. There was an Amel Santorini there as well, and it looked pretty good... and suddenly I realized that it was rigged as a sloop, not a ketch! I was astonished, for I had thought ALL Amels were ketches. Has anyone else seen such a vessel? I was hoping to have a word with the owner, but before I could make contact they departed the anchorage.

I thought it looked better than the ketch rigged ones, but that is a personal thing.

Jim
Old 06-10-2015, 14:53   #42

Boat: IP 40

Before we bought our boat, we where looking at boats in the 2-3x price range and actually looked at two Super Maramus. I love the overall focus on Go-anywhere-ness and low maintenance. I found the more I read about them the more I liked them.

However, when we went and checked them out in person, the interior layout made the boat feel much smaller than most others in that size range. I also just couldn't get used to the aesthetics, which I know in my heart is a stupid reason to buy or not buy a boat, but....

Anyway for the money there are other boats we liked much better and in the end we decided to go smaller, cheaper, and much sooner than we originally intended.
Old 06-10-2015, 14:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A few weeks ago we were anchored in Baie Kuto on the Ile de Pins in New Caledonia. There was an Amel Santorini there as well, and it looked pretty good... and suddenly I realized that it was rigged as a sloop, not a ketch! I was astonished, for I had thought ALL Amels were ketches. Has anyone else seen such a vessel? I was hoping to have a word with the owner, but before I could make contact they departed the anchorage.

I thought it looked better than the ketch rigged ones, but that is a personal thing.

Jim
Googling Amel Santorini images shows several sloops.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 15:47   #44

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellos View Post
OMG you didn't just compare that to Scandinavian design!?
It's on!

Scandinavian design??
What ?... Like IKEA??

I strayed aboard a Hanse at a boat show recently... it looked like an IKEA interior.....
Old 06-10-2015, 16:03   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I agree with your premise -- yes, ugly as sin. Remarkably unaesthetic boats.

But to answer your question -- no, there's no good substitute, as far as I know. They are real cruising machines. With more years and miles of experience, I appreciate the design approach more and more.

With the years and miles I have become increasingly dissatisfied with series-made boats for my particular needs, and so if I ever have another boat, I will most likely custom build something.

If you can close your eyes and swallow the aesthetics, the Amels are outstanding devices for cruising and at a knock-down price.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote