Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 09:09   #181

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Why Are Bavaria Yachts Not Well-Liked Here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
My earlier comment was very much tongue in cheek as I owned a very nice 97 Bav 46 Exclusive for many years. She was quick, comfortable and mostly dry and she was well built with hardware selected to go the distance. Its rudder is blade and it was much more efficient than the Amel. However, our plan is to RTW and we wished more comfort and safety afforded by a specific "cruiser designed" Amel. We are getting "long in the tooth" and we expect 7-10 years at sea... Amel made more sense.
Hi! I cannot lose the opportunity to have a better insight on something: I have heard many times on forum that the pointing ability of Amel is not great. Of course this does not mean nothing since there are plenty of Amel from many different vintages and they are substantially different sailboats in what regards hull and appendices.

You have a Amel Super Maramu that is a fairly recent model, previous to the actual ones (that are substantially different in what regards hull design).

The question is: Regarding your actual boat and the Bavaria 46 (what was the year?) how do you compare the pointing ability with flat water and on more heavy seas (with considerable haves).

I have owned also a Bavaria and sailed others so about that I can have an idea.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:24   #182

A friend who works at the sailing club which has a few newish Bavarias, 36 and 37 and may be a 41 or 42, says they're OK for the price i.e. you not getting anything better in their price range, not even close. He also says that the latest Benes are not worth their prices (about 25-30% over Bavs' prices), especially compared to Bavarias.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:32   #183

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Hi! I cannot lose the opportunity to have a better insight on something: I have heard many times on forum that the pointing ability of Amel is not great. Of course this does not mean nothing since there are plenty of Amel from many different vintages and they are substantially different sailboats in what regards hull and appendices.

You have a Amel Super Maramu that is a fairly recent model, previous to the actual ones (that are substantially different in what regards hull design).

The question is: Regarding your actual boat and the Bavaria 46 (what was the year?) how do you compare the pointing ability with flat water and on more heavy seas (with considerable haves).

I have owned also a Bavaria and sailed others so about that I can have an idea.

My Bavaria ha membrane sails and carried a 160% genoa... (Med sailing) We would pinch at 32 degrees but always went well at 35 degrees. On the other hand, even with new sails, we can only get to 55 degrees... they are meant for gentlemanly cruising... downwind. They do fine in that mode. :-)

Compromise!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:55   #184

Quote:
My Bavaria ha membrane sails and carried a 160% genoa... (Med sailing) We would pinch at 32 degrees but always went well at 35 degrees. On the other hand, even with new sails, we can only get to 55 degrees... they are meant for gentlemanly cruising... downwind. They do fine in that mode. :-)

Compromise!
and with the Amel?
Old 11-04-2015, 20:42   #185

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:

Compromise!

OOOPS! ... should read... "on the other hand, the Amel, even with new cruising sails....
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:35   #186

Quote:
OOOPS! ... should read... "on the other hand, the Amel, even with new cruising sails....
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2024, 07:40   #187

We've had about 7 Bavarias through our RYA sailing school over the last 27 years. They work about 40 weeks of the year in all conditions and are abused by students doing endless exercises and mile builders. They have all performed admirably and I cant praise them enough. There's a definite snob issue with Jeanneau and Beneteau owners but personally I think the Bavarias are more robust and last longer. I get to sail on quite a few different yachts as an instructor and a 5 year old Bavaria compared to a 5 year old Jeanneau or Beneteau is usually in much better shape.
Jimmy Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria