Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2014, 13:19   #46
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Who is your Favorite Boating Manufacturer

Hobie, hands down. One of the finest companies I've ever dealt with, without even restricting it to boating.
Old 26-07-2014, 18:17   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Is this a boat maker listing thread?

46 posts and 35+ different favorites...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 02:41   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Palmer Johnson, builder of so many elegant one-off yachts and m/v.

And the Joel White yard in Maine (can't remember what it is officially called).

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-07-2014, 08:19   #49

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

My favorites in no particular order:

Dream: Oyster, Morris

Pretty and well built: Hinckley, Bristol, Southern Cross

Coastal and around the cans: S2
SC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 08:47   #50

Boat: Grand Banks 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Is this a boat maker listing thread?

46 posts and 35+ different favorites...
This is an interesting point, and it's worth thinking about this way.

If I asked you for your favorite car, it would have four wheels, a steering wheel and brakes. It would be designed to fit in a very specific amount of space, and so its length would be within a few feet of all other cars.

Your favorite boat might be 20' tiny or 80' huge; it might cost a few thousands of dollars or multiple millions; and it might have a top speed anywhere between 5 knots and 50.

This is why there are so many different boat manufacturers - they all work to different niches so relatively few are direct competitors. And as a result if you ask 50 different people for their favorite one, it's probable that you'll get 50 different answers.

(Mine is Grand Banks, my boat is a Grand Banks 42, and now I'll be thrown out of the club because I'm a stinkpotter ).

David
David Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 09:42   #51
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

i note the question is about who is your favorite boating manufacturer. not what is your favorite boat. They might not be at all the same.

Should it be required that you actually have had some business relationship with a manufacturer as a supplier or customer, or is it sufficient that you just like one of their products and it doesn't matter if they're run by a psychotic Nazi war criminal who uses underage slave labor?
Old 27-07-2014, 10:01   #52

Boat: Grand Banks 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
they made and maintained so many great boats that they put their sail division out of business... too many great used models to buy...oh well... I'll buy another someday... looking at a B40 yawl in retirement?
I was a little surprised to hear this, so I visited Hinckley's web site.

They have a very nice looking Bermuda 50 about to enter production, so it looks like the death of their sailing division has been exaggerated ...
David Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 11:29   #53

Boat: Allied Seawind 32

Concordia Yawl gets my vote for pure nautical eye candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seawindii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 12:45   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i like my formosa boat builders formosa just fine, thankyou.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 11:05   #55

Boat: Boereal 44

I think David Dennis said it right in his above post that many boat manufactures work to different niches which means a lot of the time less competition for their product. It also means that they specialize in their product and can do the building for the exact needs of their clients.

Example, Hinkley who in the past made what I consider one of the most beautiful boats of all time in the Southwester 42. To me they were made for the beauty of East coast cruising, sailing from port to port on the New England coast enjoying anchorages and the company of other Hinkley owners most of the time. Their boats were made for those who had only so much time in a busy life style and not for those who were thinking to sail around the world for seven years or so or even adventure into the South Pacific. They are a great boat to even travel down to the Eastern Caribbean, seaworthy yes. But their boats do not have the water tank or fuel volume that better fits the long passages of over 20 days or so. Remember many of these boats were made before the watermaker found its way on board boats. I know some do it in Hinkleys but there are other boats like the design of Hinkley that are made for long distance cruising like the Mason 44 and others mentioned above in other posts.

Before buying a new or used boat folks should do a DEEP SEARCH into what a certain manufacturer expects how his boat design will work in the type of sailing they want out of their boat. Remember some manufactures can be a bit deceptive so one really needs to dig deep. We have seen the failures of many boats this year crossing the great ponds of our earth. I wonder how many cruisers really checked on the manufacturers thoughts on how those boats were intended to sail and the materials they used to build such a boat. I think all boats out their will do what the manufacturer really intended it for just fine.

Cheers
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 11:52   #56

Fun thread but how can one really know? Lots pr well built pretty boats out there... I've been to only a 3 or 4 boat builders... Conyplex who built Shiva, Hinkley and Tom Morris...

I like the Tom Morris Yachts approach and size of their operation and quality. But I am sure that there are many excellent boat builders... like David Walters... J boats... This is an impossible question with no answer.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 12:18   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post

Before buying a new or used boat folks should do a DEEP SEARCH into what a certain manufacturer expects how his boat design will work in the type of sailing they want out of their boat.
You are absolutely correct.

However, given the number of questions on this and other boating forums that begin with: "I know this has been asked before and answered, but..." don't hold your hopes up.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 16:23   #58

Boat: Boereal 44

I agree Stu.

I don't want to steal the thread of who is your favorite manufacturer but I have met so many who once thought the manufacturer that built their boat was their favorite only to be disappointed after a short while.

When I say a deep search of what the manufacture want their boat to do. One must understand that the designer may have had different intentions for the boat. And what I mean by that is when a designer signs a contract he knows that the builder will change certain things within the design to save money. Maybe the designer designed a 4 inch SS rudder post but the company decided that they could change it over to a 3.5 inch figerglass rudder post and save money. Or maybe the designer had easy to get to pipes in the head galley by just removing 4 screws and out comes the panel but again the designer wanted to save money and puts a pre made unit in the head with no way of getting to the pipes. A great NA once told me that when he signed a contract to build the boat he designed for the company it was in the contract that the manufacture could chance up to 6% of the design to their liking. He then said discouragingly that how can I tell what is 6% and what is 20 %. A manufacturer may hire an NA to design a boat for lets say crossing an ocean once or twice in the designs lifetime. But the end product is something totally different than what the designer was hired for, it is really the manufactures end design.

I was just looking at one certain boat manufacturers website and they play the game of weather their boat is really made for open ocean or coastal cruising. Nice pictures of their boats in the tropics but not saying those boats should really cross oceans to get there.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 15:15   #59

Boat: O'Day 28

One word ... All you need to know: Hunter

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 15:29   #60

Ulstein Group
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags