Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 15:50   #1

White Elephant disposal

How does one dispose of a 32 ft. fiberglass white elephant? The boat is unsaleable. Engine, rigging, other parts, and a 7 ton iron keel, can be sold, but what happens to the hulk? Thinking of donation to the local fire department for practice fire, but might there be other options?
ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 15:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: White Elephant disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
How does one dispose of a 32 ft. fiberglass white elephant? The boat is unsaleable. Engine, rigging, other parts, and a 7 ton iron keel, can be sold, but what happens to the hulk? Thinking of donation to the local fire department for practice fire, but might there be other options?
there is a member KISS on the forum that is looking for a boat to test his 90lb anchor from.

it would greatly please many members if KISS could take it off your hands.......we might even have a whip round here to cover expenses
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:00   #3

What I've seen done is... Strip the hull down then cut it up with chainsaws and throw it into a dumpster to be hauled. Burning it would produce some pretty toxic fumes I would think.
Old 06-10-2014, 16:15   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Happen to have a wood chipper handy?

Honestly the only time I have disposed of a hull we just trucked it to the dump and dropped it off. We loaded it on a flat bed trailer at the yard, and when we got to the dump tied it to a post and just drove away.

Of course it scraped the heck out of it but then they drove over it with a grader so the scratches didn't matter much.

Figure it will run about $100/tonn or so. You probably will have to remove to fuel tank (environmental regulations) but otherwise they didn't really worry about much.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:21   #5

Boat: Monk 36

When I want to get rid of something, anything, I put it out front with a FREE sign on it. The one thing I had to dispose of was an old roll up movie screen. That one puzzled me.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:23   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
there is a member KISS on the forum that is looking for a boat to test his 90lb anchor from.

it would greatly please many members if KISS could take it off your hands.......we might even have a whip round here to cover expenses

I think many shall be willing to support Your (generous) idea, Atoll!
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:29   #7

Boat: Rinker 24

As mentioned, if it is legal where you are to burn it you'll be left with several trash bags of fiberglass strands and that will be about it. Cut it into pieces and make a fire to toss them in (they can be big pieces) but absolutely do not try to burn the boat in one piece as some crew member on the ISS will probably be able to see the flames from space....
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:31   #8

Quote:

Doh! I almost split a gut...

OP: I've seen them disposed of by yards, they pay someone to cut them up until the chunks are small enough for the dumpster. But you could be like the people who leave them at the yard. have it hauled and abandon it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 17:15   #9

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Leave him alone atoll! You naughty boy, and besides he wants a STEEL boat if you were paying attention..

As for getting rid of fiberglass boats, strip them and take them to the landfill, I think it is $50 for up to some length here. Or the trailer I bought from a guy who got a 'free boat', that guy just chainsawed the hull into pieces that fit into the trash, I think he told me they wanted a title to dispose of it, so check on that issue.

Quote:

Old 07-10-2014, 01:16   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Donate it to you local dive club. Tow it out to sea and scuttle. Make a nice artificial reef.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31   #11

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
Donate it to you local dive club. Tow it out to sea and scuttle. Make a nice artificial reef.
Don't you dare!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:39   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If it floats...it sinks. Near an ocean?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:17   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

It all depends on where you live.
Most states won't allow you to burn it due to environmental issues, first there's toxic fumes, then of course ground pollution that can come from any stuff that fails to burn but has turned to liquid or powder form, and of course, like stated in a previous post you don't want Homeland Security knocking on the door when they spot it from the ISS. Hazardous waste issues are something you really don't want to get into, those guys at Environmental Management have no sense of humor.
At the least you need to remove the fuel and waste tanks, those can usually be disposed of at your local waste site.
Last time I did it was on a smaller boat in another galaxy far, far away, I removed the waste tank, all the stainless (it's worth scrap or can be sold to others who need it), fuel tank and lines, motor, all the wiring(it's worth scrap too) then cut it up with a chain saw and tossed it all in a dumpster.
Motor went for scrap, wire went for scrap. Any of the teak worth saving from the interior was sold at the marine resale shop, mast was cut up and sold for scrap when I didn't have any takers for a complete mast, which surprised me since I had previously bought an insurance boat totaled due to a rig loss and had the hardest time finding one used(pre-Craigslist).
I'd check with the dumpster supplier first though before jumping in, it's been a long time since I did that and I was surprised last year when I rented a 15 yard dumpster to get rid of some building material dumped on a property I bought. The regulations in my part of the country had changed and the list of what you can't put in a dumpster was pretty extensive, again, it all depends on what part of the country you live in.
I have my wife's old 28 footer in my backyard now and it's right on the edge of whether to scrap or redo, it would cost as much to redo it as it is worth so I'm on the fence here, she seems to have lost her sentimental attachment once she figured out how much labor is involved to bring it back.
Let us know what you decide to do, and how it works out, I'd be curious to see what's required these days to dispose of it.
I'm thinking of cutting the stern off and converting it into a bar for my party room.......I'll cut off the first two feet of the bow and mount it on the wall with the running lights functioning.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:20   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Cut it into pieces and make a fire to toss them in (they can be big pieces) but absolutely do not try to burn the boat in one piece as some crew member on the ISS will probably be able to see the flames from space....
LMFAO, I ain't heard the "see if from space" line since I was Real fond of using it 5yrs back. Thanks for the laugh!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:35   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: White Elephant disposal

insure it and sail for Berumda then call the ASR and scuttle as they loom over the horizon..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote