Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 02:07   #31

Re: Whitby 42: Bringing her back from the grave?

The free deals are tough to walk away from, currently know of a free C&C 27 and another of the same model available asking 2000$ probably get it for undr 1000 in the spring. 2 C&C 27s for about a grand.
For the person with the time, space, skills and money I bet you could make one nice boat from the two, then scrap one and sell the lead keel to get some money back.
Problem is you can get a nice C&C 27 ready to sail for about 10 000 almost turn key.
This one hurts because it's a pair of one of my favorite boat!
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:46   #32
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiffriller View Post
Hello I have recently come across a Whitby 42 for sale for next to nothing. She has been underwater and will need to be totally redone. Does anyone have experience doing this?

I have lived on a sailboat for a year am 22 and am fairly handy with fiberglass and mechanics.

How much would I be looking at spending on the refurb?

Is it even worth it or cost prohibitive?

Also does anyone have any personal experience good or bad with these boats?

Thank you,
Tommy

One more thing. A Whitby 42 has a balsa cored hull. If it got water in it, you will have a major job ripping the hull apart to recore.

Ramblin Rod
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:53   #33

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
One more thing. A Whitby 42 has a balsa cored hull. If it got water in it, you will have a major job ripping the hull apart to recore.

Ramblin Rod
About Sheen Marine
The balsa core is a major issue, not just on the hull but also on the cabin tops. If any water gets in it can be a significant problem. It happens a lot on the aft cabin top around the mizzen mast. The mast is inadequately supported (deck stepped) through the aft head walls. Those are not adequately supported under the cabin sole (over the prop shaft) and the mast can "tin can" - pogo up and down. You can't really see it but it works on the deck and can cause cracks letting water in . Also any deck penetrations for hardware can allow water in if not routinely maintained. I had to repair a large part of the aft cabin core during my refit. Never had a problem with the hull core though but may have been lucky, or just wasn't aware of it.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:16   #34

Boat: Downeaster 38

Don't do it.
The person who said double it then triple it was correct. You'll spend much more time and money then you could possibly, possibly imagine and all that time and money will be spent while you're not sailing! And if you keep looking, at some point in the project you'll find a boat for sale that is an incredibly good deal, has everything on it you want and is ready to go.
Don't do it. Wait for a better deal and go sailing.
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:22   #35

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiffriller View Post
Hello I have recently come across a Whitby 42 for sale for next to nothing. She has been underwater and will need to be totally redone. Does anyone have experience doing this?

I have lived on a sailboat for a year am 22 and am fairly handy with fiberglass and mechanics.

How much would I be looking at spending on the refurb?

Is it even worth it or cost prohibitive?

Also does anyone have any personal experience good or bad with these boats?

Thank you,
Tommy

If you want to work on a boat and never go sailing then go for it.

Even if you were to restore it the math doesn't stack up. If we were talking about a very special boat then maybe you could justify it.

Buy a boat in good condition that is well equipped. You'll still have plenty of work to do and you'll also get to go sailing.

It might be a good parts boat...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:03   #36

Boat: Lots of boats.

I keep my current boat north of Annapolis. I would be interested in seeing the Whitby. Doesn't look like it sank, it looks like the cabin filled with rain water. If the decks and flooring aren't soft, it might be salvaged. The Cat 27 I have has had cabin water in it on several occasions up about 4 inches and has the stains to show for it. But the flooring is still solid and has no leakage through the hull. Please contact me with a CF message. I would also be available to look at the boat with you if you have the time.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote