Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 17:21   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Which to Choose?

I like those thoughts from Jim Cate above. If this is going to be a transition boat for just your time in Bainbridge, then buy for expedient comfort now! Still, take full advantage of the buyers's market. My nephew just bought a decent Soverign 23' for $200!
Old 01-10-2014, 20:17   #32

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
No personal experience, however, IIRC, they don't have opening ports. Makes ventilation a truly bad issue. Check carefully.

Also, if they were built in the UK, make sure the wiring has been upsized to handle USA electrical.
Konsort has 2 opening ports in the V-berth. Visible in photo.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 20:48   #33

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
There is a small but nice Marina in Bainbridge GA where slips are $200 a month including power, wifi, showers and grills. There are also laundry facilities .
Where exactly in Bainbridge? Looks like you will be living on the river from Google maps, specifically the Bainbridge Marina. Their website says their slips are covered, ie not so good for boats with masts. Something extra to pester them about.

Assuming they have uncovered slips, you will still be living on a river which means shoals, current and lots of short tacking.

Have you considered keeping the car and getting a spot at the Wingate Lodge, Trails end resort and marina or Seminole Lodge and marina all of which are on Lake Seminole? I don't know if you could arrange livaboard at any of them, but sailing a river, especially a small one is tough and tedious after a while.

Given the location of Bainbridge, a trailerable boat is probably a necessity after all. Delivery by water would be most of a week from anywhere close. It looks like Lk Seminole is 100nm or so upstream on the Apalachicola River. And another 10-20 to Bainbridge.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:35   #34

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Biker,

With respect to Hudson's latest advice, consider this: his advice is correct for someone choosing a boat to go cruising in, and for a long time at that. It seems to me that what you are looking for is first a "home on the water", second a boat to learn to sail locally in and third, something that you can sell on when you are through with this phase of your life.

The choice of keel shape (fin vs full), rudder location, means of attaching the keel and so on don't really enter into your calculations very much. Any of the boats that you have mentioned (at least the ones with which I am familiar) all would pass the basic requirements, and few of them would be a good choice for serious long term cruising, for that is a different world entirely!.

Obviously, a clapped out Atomic 4 will make it a bit harder to sell the boat on in a few years... but it will also drive down the price that you will have to pay for it. Whether it will suffice for your learning sailing should be determined by a competent mechanic, but the same advice holds for a younger diesel.

So, my thoughts are:

Buy a boat that is comfortable for you physically.

Buy a boat that passes a survey, and negotiate the price with the knowledge gained by the survey. This should get you a boat whose price actually reflects its value, and this in turn means that you shouldn't get hurt badly when you sell her onward as you plan to do.

Don't obsess about things like tiller vs wheel, sloop vs cutter, gas vs diesel. In the long run they will not be all that big a deal. Remember, there are thousands of folks who have purchased and loved vessels on either side of each of those arguments... it is mostly a personal thing, not do or die significance.

As others have said, finding a boat that is within your budget, that you can live on as you yourself find adequately comfortable, and that is able to be sailed as is without too much additional work/additions... this is your goal as I see it.

Good luck in your search and your life afloat.

Jim
Yes, you've hit it on the head, a liveable learner boat that I can sell in a couple years. I was afraid I was over thinking it all and you've confirmed it for. Thank you for getting me off the circle path and back in line.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote