Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2021, 19:14   #31

Re: Which boat would you get for 1-2 year RTW cruise on a $900k budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ndreas View Post
Hi there

I'm exploring boat options for a 1-2 year cruise round the world. The total budget is USD $900k +/-.
The crew would mainly be my girlfriend and I (aged 27/35) but ideally the boat could comfortably fit 2-6 guests for extended periods.

Weíve grown up doing inshore racing and cruising on various dinghies and monohulls 30′ - 45′.

Given these circumstances, what would be your considerations when it comes to:

1) Price. Out of the $900k budget how much would you spend on the boat itself? Would you consider a boat loan to get the dream boat? (Canít get over how beautiful that Beneteau First 53 is)

2) Size. What would be the sweet spot that is easy to handle for a couple, yet offers space enough for friends and family? How much would draft play into this decision?

3) Any suggestions? Any specific models youíd recommend looking at?

Thanks for any advice!

Andreas
I would buy a Outremer 51-55 -then hire a young lady captain cook....to do the "leg work" .
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 19:15   #32

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
What a lovely boat. Are you going to crew it just the two of you for the World ARC?

Have been looking at the World ARC too, and that is where i got the rough RTW time estimate from. It seems like many people on here find that routing to be quite rushed. Did you have any concerns about that when signing up for the rally?

We'll have additional crew for the longer passages. It is a fast schedule, but that's okay. We'll go around fast and then around again more slowly (repeating as often as it suits us).
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 19:34   #33

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Did you read this thread?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=254028

Laughing Buddha -- an Exceptional Hans Christian 41T
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 20:01   #34

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

You indicated that you wanted enough room for family/guests, and also that draft may be an issue.
Given those requirements a single-masted boat will be getting pretty big for easy handling.
So, I'm going to step outside the box that many think in.
Without getting into all kinds of electric contraptions and devices for sail work, the easiest split-rig to handle is a staysail schooner.
The sails are easy to work with, and the largest one is aft, where the hull is wide and the motion is less,, and close to the cockpit.
Those without experience can poo-poo them all they want, but with the typical paths that RTW sailors follow it's a great rig for a small crew.
I would have a hard time walking away from a Cherubini 48, given your wants.
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...ooner-7031350/
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 20:03   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Imho, six guests at once are too much work. However, any 3 cabin boat will do you, depending on how said guests are configured. Owners move out to the saloon, for sleeping, and forfeit their berth for the comfort of the guests. Land based people who visit need to be taught about how to help in the galley, how to conserve water. Parents and kids is different from adults without kids. People who bring kids have less to offer in the way of help at mealtimes and cleanup because they have to caretake the kids. Kids require special planning, too, because they think they are up for more than they actually may be. You can teach them a lot about how to be in the water for swimming and skin diving, if you both realize it's what they need. Putting their head under the water in the bathtub and blowing bubbles doesn't mean they're ready. Salty water was quite a shock to a 10 yr. old who visited us. We made the mistake of starting him too high.

Just about any 3 cabin 40 foot or more boat will do the job for you. You'll want to not drive the boat hard like racing, because stuff breaks, and then your in port time will be spend making repairs. The low priced contemporary monohulls are not really built to withstand bad conditions when you encounter them (nor are many cats). In any event, you will need light air sails, as well as heavy.

We knew some folks with a Sundeer, who circumnavigated in 18 months: a last vacation for their high school daughter before she went off to university. They, too stopped at some of the places the Cornell group did. 4 stops all told. Not long enough anywhere to "do" the place, but enough for the girl to get a tiny taste.

Another couple did a 1 yr. circumnavigation of the Pacific, mostly the north Pacific. They had a good time living to a strict schedule. For others, that would be a form of hell. It is so lovely to go back to places where they remember you with pleasure. An 8 yr. plan may let you do that. Wouldn't try shorter.

So, people are extremely varied in what they enjoy about cruising, and a strict schedule means you will not get in depth experiences of foreign cultures. For us, it has been the in depth experiences that have been most valuable. Ymmv.

Ann
Old 16-12-2021, 20:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
I'm signed up for the Workd ARC 2023 with my wife on our Hylas 54. Can't think of a better boat for this purpose, or any of the Hylas 46-57 models.
Iíve crewed around a fair bit and hands down my favorite
of all the boats Iíve sailed on
was a Hylas 56. Sailed like a train on rails.
Didnít mention it because I donít think you could get
a good condition, well fitted one and have money to
cruise RTW for the OPís budget
Cheers
Neil
PS: If you need crew, drop me a line
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 06:37   #37

Boat: Oyster 49

Why not get an older Oyster 56 and join the next Oyster World Rally

https://oysteryachts.com/oyster-world-rally/

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 06:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCatLife View Post
ARC route is 26,000 miles in 15 months. 15 months is approx 365 + 91 days. 456 days. That works out to 57 NM / day. Average speed 6 knots... that's essentially sailing 10 hours a day... every day. Of course there will be many long 24/day passages,... but the average hours / day is eye watering to me.

While you're correct that it averages to about 57nmday, let's look at some of the legs:

First leg is 1100 miles at 6 knots, that's about 183 hours, or about 8 days. You now have 11 days of recuperation time and still have managed to keep up your 57 miles/day average.

Second leg is only 850 miles, so not a big deal, but the third leg is 2980 miles. At 6 knots, that's about 21 days, which leaves you 31 days at the destination to see sights, cruise, repair, etc., and still be on schedule to maintain the 57nm per day.

Those long passages really boost your average, which allows you a chance to relax at the end of the leg for quite a bit before having to set out again.

Note that my numbers are somewhat off, but not by a large amount.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 06:42   #39

Boat: Amel 50

Andres I started my venture just as you did. My initial budget was less than yours and was enamored with the First 53. However, when I really looked at what type of sailing I was going to do and with whom I realized the Beneteau was not a good fit. Neither was my budget. After lots of research and head scratching I ordered an Amel 50 as it suited my needs. Sometimes what looks good may not be the best fit.
Habana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 06:52   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

With a 900k budget, I would allocate at least a small portion, about $30k to hire two Filipino sailors to help with the 24 hour sailings, cleaning, and shore trips. They will provide so much support to the trip.

I would not depend upon a young girlfriend to provide this work.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 06:52   #41

If your interest lies more in seeing the world than sailing fast you might consider a Nordhavn 46! Well within your budget, comfortable, safe, proven and easy. At least some of the time you will be in less than perfect weather. Hard to beat a dry enclosed, heated or cooled, pilothouse then. Get one with a flybridge for those perfect days and the extra space to get away from your guests when you need to.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 07:00   #42

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Have been eying cats too Just never sailed one bigger than a Hobie so it's a bit foreign. The Seawind 1370 looks v nice but probably out of budget.

Are they that much faster than a 45-50' modern monohull cruiser though?

I'm making a contentious comment, and the details count in any general comment. But, in general, dollar for dollar, a monohull is faster than a catamaran. Sure, there are high performance cats, and they are fast. And there are high performance monos, and they are fast. But in the 100-200K rang (maybe even to 300K), the cats are all slow and you can start getting "fast cruisers" that are faster. For lots of money, you can get a fast cruising cat.

Go pull up the results for various ARC passages and look at general crossing times for sizes and types of boats. It's informative.

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 07:08   #43

Boat: Catalina 350

I agree with others in that 1-2 years is very fast. Hurricane, cyclone and typhoon seasons will effect your travels. Your abilities are another. Before plunking huge amounts down into a boat charter a season somewhere and see if you even like it. Watch some YouTube of some vessels out there and check out the lifestyle and their travels. Also check out their boats and what it takes to keep them going on a multi year adventure. Many of them have been out there for over 4 years and you need to be knowledgeable on the basics at least. Read and plan well and have a great adventure.
rick bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 07:19   #44
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Personally Iíd buy a cheaper boat and take 4-5 years. Money can be made time cannot
Old 20-12-2021, 07:21   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Max Oertz, Finn, Star

Freedom 45
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...%26sortby%3D17
CaribbeesYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, budget, cruise