Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 23:06   #1

Boat: Moody 376 & San Juan 7.7
Which Boat ?

So to frame the question,

Available spend:

$300.000 USD inc. all cruising set up (new running rigging if req'd etc..)
Accommodation:
2 adults, 3 kids, 2 full time live aboard,1# 3 year old and 1# 5 year old, 1# 17 year old (part time aboard, maybe full time aboard depending on current attitude)
cruising for 1 year in Caribbean, and area (moving to avoid storm season etc..) live aboard, may extend 1 year stay dependent on how it goes, may even go for a trip down to Polynesia

we are looking at:

1988 Hallberg-Rassy 49 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1987 Hylas Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2007 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 41 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

What would you choose?
wryanddry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 23:55   #2

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
It's a pretty broad question you're putting out there, and lots of people would like to flame you for it. But for my part, I'd go with the '88 H-R. I've always liked their layouts, and that one looks to be in pretty great shape.

The Wauquiez looks sweet, but it's just not my type of boat, I guess. I like to feel stable out on the water, and it sometimes gets hard to do that in a lighter boat. If I'm going with something sleek and light, I'd look at a cat in the same size range.

So yeah, for whatever it's worth, I'd go with the 1988 Hallberg-Rassy. Leaves a bit more budget for trimmings (solar panels, wind generator, batteries, etc..).
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 00:16   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
I'd go with the Hylas cutter. It is a more flexible rig (easier to shorten sail) and jibs can be smaller (since there are two of them) for easier handling. Also, running backstays on the Hallberg would be a pain. I'd be looking for a workhorse and not a lightweight thoroughbred.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:21   #4

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mate. How about giving serious consideration to a Mason 53. Excellent layout for your family. A well built vessel that will take you, the family and all the gear safely where you want to go. You can even start the dream down here in New Zealand. French Polynesia is only 10 to 14 days to the NE. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:27   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
If your question was about picking between the 3 boats you listed forget the rest of this post.

If you are interested in other options read on.

Each of the following boats has at least 4 excellent or good sea-berths (pilot berths or quarter berths), one for each person off watch. Underway you will want that, on the hook in a rough anchorage you will also want that.

The 2 larger boats each have two heads, though not a true necessity.

Both makers have good pedigrees. At least 1 Col50 has been RTW. I don't know about the Cal48, but numerous smaller Cal's have been RTW.

None of these boats is a cutter which would be optimal. Buying used you would have cash on hand to have the conversion done.

CAL 48 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
1967 Cal/Jensen Cal 48 sailboat for sale in California

COLUMBIA 43 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
COLUMBIA 50 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

Lastly you might consider a new Cascade 44. They come as cutters and have excellent reputations, the earlier 42' version has been RTW. I am not sure about interiors or prices. I belive you might be able to get the interior done to suit.

Cascade Yachts

Luck
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:36   #6

We have a Hylas 47 which works out great for us and our two teens who need to be separate at times. The layout would work out well for your teen and two little ones. It's a solid boat that's easy to sail.

You may also want to look at the Stevens 47s, which are an older version of the same hull. Hylas 47 review
Winter River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I'd buy the new one. A 2007 will be far better than the 20 year old jobs.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:27   #8

Boat: Rhodes 32
That is kind of an odd grouping of yachts...

1. I have been aboard the HR 49 in Fort Lauderdale. She is in great condition. The teak deck has a nice, fresh color. Her 6' 9" draft is holding her back. That draft is quite a bit to carry around in South Florida and the Bahamas.

2. Instead of that 47, look for a Hylas 49 at that price. You should read JK's review.

3. Like MarkJ, I prefer newer models. Go with the Wauquiez in this list. She looks like a fun boat.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:40   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
1988 Hallberg-Rassy 49 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1987 Hylas Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

These are 20 year old + boats, They need careful inspection, they can look perfect on an initial inspection, but you could be looking at spar and or rigging replacement, sail replacement, engine replacement, tank leaks, plumbing, cutlass and or rudder bearings etc. I spent a lot of time redoing some older "quality" boats. Go new (newer) if you can.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 17:27   #10

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
I think that 2007 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 41 looks like a fun boat. I have no idea how they sail, but would like to hear more about them. Anyone know about older models?
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote