Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2019, 09:11   #1

Boat: Catalina 425
Where to stop after East River going outside L.I.

Coming down the sound ebb at Hell’s Gate is 10:18. Considering options.
Just continue non-stop to Montauk
Stop East Rockaway or Jones Beach
Some other stop.
It will be 2 people in a Catalina 425 with a 5ft. draft.
Tia
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 10:28   #2

Re: Where to stop after East River going outside L.I.

Raritan Bay on the west side of
Sandy Hook has some nice anchoring spots
Very nice trip you have planned
wave to the Statue of Liberty
Lots and Lots of ferry traffic
Keep a sharp eye
Cheers
neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 11:29   #3

I'm confused. Montauk is up the sound.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 14:51   #4

Once you get to the Eastern end a quick left brings you around and eventually to Montauk Lake.
Old 19-06-2019, 15:28   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423

Manhasset Bay is a great spot if wind are not N or at least over 10kt from N. Oyster Bay is very nice and protected. Excellent stop for fuel too. We stopped at Morris Cove / New Haven waiting out a
NE. Port Jefferson is a good stop before continuing onto Shelter Island.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 15:37   #6

I'd say Liberty State Park just behind the Statue of Liberty. Nice calm anchorage.
coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 06:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Manhasset Bay is a great spot if wind are not N or at least over 10kt from N. Oyster Bay is very nice and protected. Excellent stop for fuel too. We stopped at Morris Cove / New Haven waiting out a
NE. Port Jefferson is a good stop before continuing onto Shelter Island.
All of those might be nice stops if we were going up the sound. They don'tork too well if you are on the outside.
Old 20-06-2019, 09:03   #8

Boat: Beneteau 323

That's the reason many people go up the Sound. Not many places to stop with any kind of draft at all. The Coast Pilot says that almost everyone of the inlets should not be attempted without local knowledge.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 13:49   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The Coast Pilot says that almost everyone of the inlets should not be attempted without local knowledge."
And even then, especially in heavy wx the current in the inlets can really rip. Once you are past Coney Island and Rockaway inlet, you need fairly calm water to try any of them even in daylight.

Wizoc, I'm not sure what you call "East" Rockaway but the Rockaway Inlet can be deceptive and staying in deep water requires a chart and attention. Even then you've got limited anchoring options. Tonight's weathercast makes me hope you haven't come down to the south shore yet. Sometimes NOAA gets it wronger than others and slogging all the way out to Montauk can be a very long "day". And night. If you are inshore, there's a lot of current to play. A little further out, and you start to run into the fisherman and Ambrose traffic, and they're often navigating by Braille. Heads up.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 13:55   #10

Wizoc, I'm not sure what you call "East" Rockaway but the Rockaway Inlet can be deceptive and staying in deep water requires a chart and attention. Even then you've got limited anchoring options. Tonight's weathercast makes me hope you haven't come down to the south shore yet. Sometimes NOAA gets it wronger than others and slogging all the way out to Montauk can be a very long "day". And night. If you are inshore, there's a lot of current to play. A little further out, and you start to run into the fisherman and Ambrose traffic, and they're often navigating by Braille. Heads up.[/QUOTE]

No definitely not tonight. If predictwind forecast looks good then leave from Rye area on July 1. If not Ptown looks good.
Old 20-06-2019, 14:29   #11

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Just go the whole way around, none of the inlets along the south shore of Long Island are advisable, the currents rip, the sand bars shift constantly, and if you do get in without running aground the water is pretty skinny everywhere, all sand so soft landings if you bump bottom but not really someplace I'd want to be in anything with a good bit of draft and no local knowledge, even in broad daylight. The north shore through the sound has far more options for overnight stays, the easiest from that area would be Port Jefferson, you would likely be there before dark and it's a nice secure anchorage to spend a night.

If you do the outside you can head in between the forks and anchor up in Lake Montauk or head a little further west and you have Cocles Harbor in Shelter Island or 3 mile harbor on the south fork or you can go a little further north and anchor up in Orient Harbor just south of Bug Light, there is good holding in there and it is usually pretty calm, just watch out for the fish weir toward the western tip of Long Beach, it is on the chart but not always easy to see but this one would be the easiest at night as the other options all have tricky inlets to navigate if you are not familiar with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizoc View Post
Coming down the sound ebb at Hell’s Gate is 10:18. Considering options.
Just continue non-stop to Montauk
Stop East Rockaway or Jones Beach
Some other stop.
It will be 2 people in a Catalina 425 with a 5ft. draft.
Tia
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote