Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 06:15   #1

Where to buy a sailboat in Europe?

Hi,

Over the next few years, I will be buying a sailboat to explore the Med for about 6 months every year.

I already sail, and I have been doing quite a bit of research of what boats to targets.

My question here is not about the brand/type, but rather about where I should ideally look for that boat. I have heard a lot of stories about how some sailboats are cared for (or not) in the Med, and some people are recommending to look at Northern Europe to actually purchase the boat. The rationale being that these boats are not cooked by the sun all year long, and that they typically only spend half the year in the water.

Any truth to that? Thoughts on the 'ideal' location to find the right sailboat?

Thanks,

Steph
Stephan V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 06:32   #2

Re: Where to buy a sailboat in Europe?

Depends on what you want.

Germans love their boats a lot and enjoy caring for them. If you find a well loved boat in the baltic sea, go for it. THose can also be found in Croatia and Spain.

In Croatia (and probably Greece, not sure) you have big charter fleets. So lot of these boats available.

Spain, Portugal you have many Brits suffering from 90-day-Schengen-frustration. More than one is trying to move his boat. You should be careful about the VAT-problems due to Brexit.

For small and medium boats (sub 33') the Netherlands have a very active market in day-sailers and pocket cruisers.

In France, specially the Atlantic coast, you find a lot of French boats. So if you're into aluminium boats, it's worth having a look there.

To sum it up, look on yachtworld for what you want all across Europe and you'll quickly get a feeling for which places are worth checking.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 06:49   #3

Thanks!

I am not too sure about charter boats. I know that some of them are well taken of, but most of them have the 3-cabin set-up. Given it will be just my wife and I (with the occasional guest), I want a 2-cabin boat (as well as the storage space that comes with it) with an L-shaped galley (not the ones along the beam...).

I see more 'owners' versions on Yachtworld in various parts of Europe other than in the Med. For obvious reasons I think. That might steer me that way. But I know good boats could be anywhere, so I'll keep a wide range of possibilities open.

I appreciate your feedback!
Old 14-09-2021, 07:32   #4

As the Baltic Sea and the Atlantic coast doesn't have much charter going on and in general are less popular with the Sail-and-Swim crowd, you have more owner versions in this area. At the same time in marinas in the Mediterranean, you also find those. They're just a little lost amid the many charter boats.

I wouldn't discount charter boats out of hand, there are many fine one on the market. Sure, a owner version has a bigger head instead of two, but besides that, repurposing one cabin for storage goes a long way to solve the space problem.

It would also help to know what size of boat you're looking for. It's a difference whether you want a 35' or a 51'.
Old 14-09-2021, 07:50   #5

Hi again,

I am looking at something between 35' and 39'.

Given my (approximative, as I could go a tad higher if needed) budget of 100,000 Euros, I'll be realistically looking at a 5-10 years-old production boat (Jeanneau, Beneteau, Bavaria, Hanse, Dufour, Elan, etc.).
Old 14-09-2021, 08:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan V View Post
Hi again,

I am looking at something between 35' and 39'.
L-shaped galley (not the ones along the beam...).

Given my (approximative, as I could go a tad higher if needed) budget of 100,000 Euros, I'll be realistically looking at a 5-10 years-old production boat (Jeanneau, Beneteau, Bavaria, Hanse, Dufour, Elan, etc.).
hard to find in all your need. special in small sailboat L-shaped galley
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 08:15   #7

Given those requirements, I'd start in Croatia looking for a Salona or an Elan that was in light charter. But then I like those two brands.
Old 14-09-2021, 08:16   #8

Agreed there are not 1000 boats, but they exist. I saw a few for sale. It is just that I am not buying right now, I have time.....
Old 14-09-2021, 08:20   #9

Best season to buy is November / December in Europe. Start looking now that the season is winding down.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:12   #10

Palma de Mallorca has more boats than anywhere I have seen in the world. Plenty brokers too. I would start there. That apart the island is lovely and the old city is fantastic to walk through. You can stay on the Paseo Maritimo and look out on hundreds of yachts. The local food is fantastic. Try Cellar Supremsa whilst you are there.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 09:12   #11

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan V View Post
My question here is not about the brand/type, but rather about where I should ideally look for that boat. I have heard a lot of stories about how some sailboats are cared for (or not) in the Med, and some people are recommending to look at Northern Europe to actually purchase the boat. The rationale being that these boats are not cooked by the sun all year long, and that they typically only spend half the year in the water.

Any truth to that? Thoughts on the 'ideal' location to find the right sailboat?
Very much so. Up here in the north where the sea freezes each winter the boats (generally) come up in Oct-Nov and go in again in Apr-Jun. I guess they receive less UV damage, but they're also kept in much less saline water (for less time).

All in all, we've been told for ages, that due to these reasons our boats are (generally) in better condition than their siblings in the Med.

The individual boats will differ, of course, as all boats need maintenance to keep fit. Also, there are lots of ways to store the boats in the winter, some more degrading than others. (People usually mention it as a bonus if a boat has been stored in a "warm" storage, ie hasn't been subjected to a wet and mold-inducing environment, freezing temperatures, temperatures cycling between freezing-thawing, etc)
Old 14-09-2021, 09:26   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Palma de Mallorca has more boats than anywhere I have seen in the world. Plenty brokers too. I would start there. That apart the island is lovely and the old city is fantastic to walk through. You can stay on the Paseo Maritimo and look out on hundreds of yachts. The local food is fantastic. Try Cellar Supremsa whilst you are there.
relative close to me is marina
Berthing capacity: 1,200 (Superyacht berth up to 70m at a transit pier)
The marina can support vessels with a draft of 7m.
You can walk milenium year in dock and dont find 1 boat for sale but all time is minimum 200 +boat in sale in every moment.
best way is www.yachtworld.com and other portal.

whay i know.? because i know is one Bavaria 56 for sale i recognized marina,
this boat is relative rare,fuuuuck over 20 this bavaria 55-56 in marina and i return to Split. i talk with everbody, reception have data-name boat and size. i must go with broker again. and iam local,, talk local language,, in 1 second i come in conversation with worker .
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 10:41   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Where to buy a sailboat in Europe?

I bought a 2009 bav36 last year in Greece very traditional saloon , two 6,5” long straight settees , L galley , full size sit down chart table. Never chartered two owners

My view is buy near where you intend to sail. Boats in Med tend to have biminis , solar etc. Which Northern European boats often don’t have.

Right now choice is scare and asking prices are rising big scarity in Holland and Germany.

Sun or wind and rain take your pick both attack boats.
Old 14-09-2021, 11:38   #14

Any reason in particular you like these two brands?
Old 14-09-2021, 12:46   #15

Boat: Hanse 430e

Malta
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Europe, rope, sail, sailboat