Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 16:35   #31

Boat: Westsail 32
Do I look unhappy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB Smiling After Deck Seam Work.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2164  
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 16:49   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If that picture was taken in, say, St. Barths, it could be captioned "cburger in paradise."

TaoJones
Old 05-12-2007, 16:57   #33

Not to try to "out do" anyone here, I actually met a guy in the Auckland, NZ port that was living full time and cruised everywhere on a boat that was about 12 feet. Every time I walked by that boat, I was and still am amazed that a single person could be that comfortable on something that small.

It really looked like a monohull in miniature, a toy almost. Very weather beaten and the guy couldn't be happier! He was a true SeaMan!! Very hardcore living on near to nothing with very small and cozy surroundings.

AMAZING!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 20:39   #34

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I just recently had the opportunity to step aboard a 37 footer. Geez was that thing HUGE. It was comparable to a friend of mine's old one bedroom apartment. It was nice, however I now think I would almost never want something that big. Too much to handle, too much to maintain, too much to deal with if I wanted to go out on a simple day sail. Fine as a floating apartment but I'd hate to have to pay the bills to repair anything on it.

It was around noon, and even the owner said something along the lines of "We wanted to go out today, but we need to be back early tomorrow and it's just not worth it to take it out unless you're gonna spend the night."
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 20:48   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Follow Your Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Not to try to "out do" anyone here, I actually met a guy in the Auckland, NZ port that was living full time and cruised everywhere on a boat that was about 12 feet.
I'll post this again as it really sets a perspective. This "boat" was sailed from Vladivostok by a couple. I suppose it depends on where you start as to how willing you are to sacrifice a little comfort to be somewhere else - LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	2165  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 20:59   #36

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Can anyone tell please how to post the pics . Been trying hard without success .
Thanks
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 21:14   #37
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I'll post this again as it really sets a perspective. This "boat" was sailed from Vladivostok by a couple. I suppose it depends on where you start as to how willing you are to sacrifice a little comfort to be somewhere else - LOL.
Sheesh, I didn't realize they'd refloated and sold off the - which one is that, the Merrimac or the Monitor?

TaoJones
Old 05-12-2007, 21:26   #38

Looks like an old transformed mini-sub. At least that looks solid as hell and can take a direct hit from a missile. The boat that I kept seeing was a typical monohull, but add 35 years, 12 feet long, most of the paint was already chipped and peeling off or was off, the wood looked so dry and porous that it resembled more like fire wood kindling.

If I didn't know better, I thought it was more of a gag gift then someone's actual home and global transport. I really wish I took pictures but the guy was always on deck sleeping or reading. At night you could see the light on through those miniature hatches and port holes.

CRAZY!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 21:32   #39
Rez

[QUOTE=Raven;72186]Consider this.
  • In 1950, the average size of the new single-family home in America was 983 sq ft (National Association of Home Builders).
  • In 1970, the average size was 1500 sq ft
  • In 1990, it was 2080 sq ft
  • In 2004, the average size of a new single-family home in America was 2349 sq ft.
Over the same period, the average size of an American family has fallen by over 25 percent. What that
means is that, in just over 50 years, the number of square feet per person in an average American home has more than tripled.

During this same period, several studies indicated that 1 person needs 750 sq ft (on land)
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:54   #40

Boat: Catalina 30
Agreed everything gets bigger...I remember in Northern Michigan and all marinas on Lake Michigan when the "classic" 50' Chris Craft was the end of the line in size for power yachts, the "mega yacht" of it's day. I also remember on the Great Salt Lake (2,000 square miles) wondering why someone would possibly ever need a sailboat as large as a Catalina 30?!?! Now I have a Catalina 30 on a lake only 6 miles long. (But I wish it were on the Intercoastal)
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote