Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 08:48   #1

Boat: Hunter, 1984, 25.5
Where is the best place to buy new sails?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of sprucing up my first boat and am looking for a new head sail. Luckily the boat came with a second main and storm jib in great condition, however the head sail needs replacement. The boat is a 1984 Hunter 25.5 and currently has a 110% genoa jib with hanks. The sail is in poor shape (multiple areas that have torn, covered in sail tape). I've been scouring the internet trying to find a replacement. The best site I found was shop.hunterowners.com, same exact sail new for $1100. Is that a normal/decent price? Should I be looking at gently used as well? If the web isn't the answer, does anyone have recommendations in Southern California?

Your help is appreciated!
islandrose808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:53   #2

Re: Where is the best place to buy new sails?

Not a ton of options for 'gently used sails'. Possible, but typically sails are replaced for the same reason you're replacing. Why replace a functioning sail? (with the exception of salvages). Often finding exactly what you want from a salvage is like a needle in a haystack. Plenty out there, but tough to find one that will fit your setup exactly.

Any sail loft should be able to make you a new sail.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:21   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

$1100 sounds pricey for a genoa on a 25' boat. North and UK both have lofts in LA.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:55   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Where is the best place to buy new sails?

If you are interested in a used sail check with Minney’s yacht surplus in Newport Beach.

http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:00   #5

Try "South East Asia Sails", I think it is run by one of the son of Rolly Tasker.
Far east sails have good price as well, but I heard mixed review and no personal experience.
I usually have 2 sets of headsails for a set of main, for they last about half the longevity of a main given what they out exposed to.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 15:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Go to your local loft. They will use an "offshore" sailmaker, most likely. But they will measure and install your sails, and make sure that they fit well, and make any necessary alterations. The sail usually arrives at their loft finished, and then they add "touches" and reinforcement where they think it makes sense. It will cost you a few hundred $ more, but it's worth it.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 16:03   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Not a ton of options for 'gently used sails'. Possible, but typically sails are replaced for the same reason you're replacing. Why replace a functioning sail? (with the exception of salvages). Often finding exactly what you want from a salvage is like a needle in a haystack. Plenty out there, but tough to find one that will fit your setup exactly.

Any sail loft should be able to make you a new sail.
I must disagree with this, Shrew. There are several big used sail vendors in the USA, including Minney's (if they have reopened by now) and Bacon in Annapolis. They have vast inventories of used sails, ranging in condition from fair (barely usable) to like new. I dunno where they source them, but they are there and the descriptions are accurate.

For a headsail, exact fits are not so important and it is quite likely that the OP can find a suitable replacement for a fraction of the cost of even a "mail order" new sail. This is a good option when the budget is strained.

So, for the OP I'd suggest getting a quote or two for a new sail and then searching the data base of the used sail vendors for a comparison. Your pocket book will determine which way to go.

Jim
Old 11-09-2020, 20:30   #8

Bacon sells new sails - a 110% jib for a Hunter 25.5 is $941.00

https://baconsails.com/
slap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 00:40   #9

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Oliver at UK sails in Marina del Rey is great. Keep in mind “sails” is a generic term, the price of what you want may far exceed the cheapest option. There are many variables when it comes to choosing a sail, they get very pricy, very quickly.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:31   #10

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

You might also want to have a look at:

www.rollytasker.com

&

www.sailselect.com

We have main and headsails in their "offshore quality" range from them and think they are very reasonable priced without sacrifice to quality.

The large used sail sales outfit in Annapolis, mentioned earlier by Jim, sounds great too.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:10   #11

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

I've been satisfied with Far East Sails. They respond quickly, produce, and ship sails more quickly than many local lofts, and for less money. The challenge is that you have do do all the measuring yourself, guided by their detailed questionnaire. After having done that, I can see why some people might pay to have a local sailmaker come take a measure from your boat and do it right.
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:37   #12

You may find a used headsail for a small boat like that which is like new. Places buy up out of business boat makers stock etc at auctions. Certain boat designs are abandoned with new sails in stock. A few inches either way for luff or foot can get you a bargain.

$1100 may be a good price but it depends on who is making the sail. What the details are? Whose price is it?

Pressed in cringles or sewn?
Leathered corners?
What kind of hanks and size?
Leech and foot adjustments?
Cable luff or not?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:51   #13

Boat: Leopard 45

I thought I had found a great bargain with FX sails on the east coast (I'm in Portland Or) and they sent me my new sails for less than half of the local lofts. Then we found that they needed to be cut down (twice) and the final cost came in at more than the local lofts would have charged for their new sails. I think in the long run it will save you time and money to have a local loft measure and make the sails. They will stand behind their product and make sure you get what you want. Not that FX doesn't make a great product. You just need to make sure the sizes are exact before they make them as is true with any of the off shore lofts.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:14   #14

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfisher View Post
Oliver at UK sails in Marina del Rey is great. Keep in mind “sails” is a generic term, the price of what you want may far exceed the cheapest option. There are many variables when it comes to choosing a sail, they get very pricy, very quickly.

Our rolling furling UK tape drive genoa is first rate. Probably worth the cost if you can swing it.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:49   #15

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I would avoid a local loft as they are the most expensive option and measuring for a genny is easy, if you even have to. Most sail lofts will have the dimensions for your boat... i was happy with my rolly Tasker, I think the loft in FL that supplies the US is National Sail... Precision Sail is another loft i almost went with. Both were about half the cost of the local Doyal and North lofts. Jamie from the boat Totem also sells sails. I bought one from Zoom sails in Shrelanka and it was very good quality.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails