Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 06:45   #16

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
People who have high-quality boats, boat's they spend an reasonably high percentage of purchase price on in maintenance and continuous upgrades, are looking at the current market, shaking their heads, and taking their marbles home....
I think you've hit on one of the reasons... During the past week I've met with several different brokers and the consensus seems to be that while there are still boats available, most have been out there for quite a while - and usually for good reason. Another factor (I'm told) is that the strong Euro a couple years ago depleted the inventory of sailboats in the southeast in particular. Some gems are still out there, and always will be. My job is to find the one that's not a dog and not over-priced.

And lastly, boat money is hard(er) to come by. Rates are hovering around 7% for those who can still qualify. I'm told LOTS of people have gotten fed up, cashed in their 401(k)s and want the brokers to find a cruising sailboat in great condition for $50 - $100K. That would explain (to me at least) why the inventory of higher priced boats is larger than that near our price point (lucky us....).

This whole thread started with my perception that there were far fewer good boats listed for sale now than was the case 5 or 6 years ago. I think that perception was and is valid, at least for boats in our price range in FL.

Many thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:52   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Mark

I wonder if the fact that the marine industry is feeling the effects of recession has anything to do with it. The feeling around my marina is not to list a boat for sale now as prices are depressed.

People are waiting for the market to recover a bit before trying to sell their boat.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote