Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 10:02   #16

Re: Where Are All the 'Leaky Teakies' ?

Are you looking for a real "Leaky Teaky"? (teak wood hull) or one of the ones mentioned above?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:16   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I know where a CT is in fresh water that has been negleted but is still a nice boat ..a small tree is growing from the bow sprit, guess the wood is rotten ..I belive it is a 33 or 36? dont really know for sure, but could be had for a song and a dance as the old guy is in bad health.DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:08   #18

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Hello,

I wish you the best of luck with your project. Before I can offer any advice, my first question is have you ever done boat repair before? Although you mention that you are good with your hands, the learning curve on do it yourself projects can be expensive both in time and money. Depending upon where you are and where you are going, the wood will be affected differently. The type of wood you use and how you prepare it will also make a difference. (I have seen a few people have success using Wood preservation, rot repair, and restoration using epoxy resin on boats and homes. to prep the wood.)

If you have never owned a boat, you will also need to learn the mechanics of a diesel engine and above all, electronics and in particular wiring. I used to race Alpha Romeos in the SCCA and IMSA and work on a cars and although there are many similarities there are also important differences. You do not want to have a problem when you are entering a strange port for the first time or trying to get out of the way of heavy weather. Sail repair too is important, especially if you are on a budget.

If you have never rebuilt a boat before, I recommend that in addition to these helpful forums, you also join a sailing or yacht club or find someone who is rebuilding a boat and donate some time. You will learn an awful lot of useful information. The experience isn't so much to improve your skills although any refresher is certainly helpful. You will gain a lot of insight into what sort of things typically need work, what sort of budgets are required, what works and what to look out for, etc. When it is your turn to look for a boat you'll have a better idea of what to look out for.

I wish you the greatest of success and mention these items so that you are better prepared and have as little trouble as possible. If necessary, spend a few extra months on the hard so that your vessel is capable of handling the rigors of the sea.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Cheers,

Dave
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:45   #19

Boat: William Garden CT 41 Ta Chaio

I have a boat in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. She is a CT 41.
BSV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 13:42   #20

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Check Barebone Boats, Wooden Boats and Good Old Boat sites. Usually some needy and free subjects for your project!