Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 10:19   #16

Re: When You Bought Yours First Boat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I thought I knew what I wanted, a starter boat that I could re-sell easily. That is not what I ended up buying. I looked diligently at all kinds of boats, eventually ending up after months and literally thousands of miles driving with what I have.
I initially wanted a boat to see if we liked the experience for lack of a better term, boat I have now was meant to determine that, and be sold to buy a "better" or at least newer, better equipped boat, but she sort of grew on us and it became "the" boat.
Finances and my desire to perform all the equipment installs myself drove that decision to a large extent.

Seen more than one buy more boat than they can really afford, and not being able to afford to go, keeps them at dock.

I did have a check list of features I wanted and looked for those.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks i even thought about go small, go cheap and sails on the seas in stead of the internet in the while but it's not for us...

Quote on DIY job and also check list.
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I agree about the saildrive!!!!

In order to make an educated choice without knowledge (everyone of us had to start a zero - none of was born knowing about boats) we ALL did our homework and research.

Two great sources for me were:

Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Yacht Design

and

Calder's Cruisers Handbook

Both of these books explain what works and what doesn't. If you haven't read them, you should.

Good luck.
LOL
Thanks i'll look for that boat.

P.S. many night spent reading CF helped a lot, very a lot too
Old 08-03-2016, 10:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We had lists of "must have" features, "really would prefer" features, "we could fix it with an aftermarket add-on" features, "unattractive" features, and "absolutely can't live with" features.

We compared candidate boats to that list. A few others came close enough to buy, but when we found the first that we actually did buy -- we instantly recognized that was the one. (And then we compared to the list to be sure we hadn't missed something.)

Turned out to be a really good boat. Except for the ladder to the flying bridge, we could probably live with that boat even today... although I'd be probably investigating retro-fitting a circular staircase to replace the original ladder.

-Chris
We pratically did the same as you, calculate what is a: must have-better have it but no problem-i can add it later-a bit bad- no way for this...

We had pratically already choosen the boat brand/model (Dufour 405 first choice, then Benetau oceanis 40-Grand Soleil 40) but stil not 200% sure about it (ok it's like choose a partner)
Catamaran are pratically excluded for mainteniance cost...Older boat like ketch, formosa, hr ecc really too slow and no stern sugar scoop-or bathing platform, and no big outside table, the same for center cockpit...We found all what we needed in that boat...But still don't know if we are missing something...hm...
According to us and our needed it's the best boat out of there...
Old 08-03-2016, 13:23   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post

Did you just "calculated"(meaning get a vote from 1 to 5 for all the caracteristics, get an average and match it with all the other boats you visited, the best voted by you boat win , if i like it living inside i'll buy it) wich boat is for you, get it, visited it like it would be yours then made an offer?
Pfft, nothing so structured for me.

First boat, half jokingly suggested a low ball offer to the owner and he said "ok". Oops.

Second boat, the wife liked it and the price was right.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 13:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Pfft, nothing so structured for me.

First boat, half jokingly suggested a low ball offer to the owner and he said "ok". Oops.

Second boat, the wife liked it and the price was right.
Get it.
Old 08-03-2016, 16:12   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We had lists of "must have" features, "really would prefer" features, "we could fix it with an aftermarket add-on" features, "unattractive" features, and "absolutely can't live with" features.
That just about sums it up.

If it ticks all the boxes in the first and last categories, it then comes down to weighing up the other three.

But no matter how much you plan them before you start looking, you will find that you need to keep adding features to those lists as you start to look at boats.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 16:37   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Are you talking about first boat or second? I'd guess it is the rare soul who knows exactly how to pick the right boat the first time out. The first boat I wanted was a center cockpit, 26 footer with a centerboard and cutter rigged. Interesting boat, but glad I didn't get it. A family friend had a Columbia 24 and told me what a great boat it was. At first sight I thought it was pretty ugly, but it was in great shape and the price was right. I was lucky I got the ugly boat I did not want! It turned out I discovered he was right, it was a great boat as a pocket cruiser which for me, at 19 years old, was just what the doctor ordered. 10 fun years with that boat! My SECOND boat purchase was more informed, and even better.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That just about sums it up.

If it ticks all the boxes in the first and last categories, it then comes down to weighing up the other three.

But no matter how much you plan them before you start looking, you will find that you need to keep adding features to those lists as you start to look at boats.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:08   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Are you talking about first boat or second? I'd guess it is the rare soul who knows exactly how to pick the right boat the first time out. The first boat I wanted was a center cockpit, 26 footer with a centerboard and cutter rigged. Interesting boat, but glad I didn't get it. A family friend had a Columbia 24 and told me what a great boat it was. At first sight I thought it was pretty ugly, but it was in great shape and the price was right. I was lucky I got the ugly boat I did not want! It turned out I discovered he was right, it was a great boat as a pocket cruiser which for me, at 19 years old, was just what the doctor ordered. 10 fun years with that boat! My SECOND boat purchase was more informed, and even better.
First boat...

Why did you choose/thought the 26ft CC? Wich were your needs?
Why are you happy because you get a different boat?
Did you discover later that it would had been wrong for you?, For wich characteristics?

Excuse me for many question, just to understand
Old 09-03-2016, 04:21   #25

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Only look obviously no, but i'm talking about thinking like: this one is ok but smal cockpit table and mainsail's rails just in fron of the helm, but maybe another one that has german sheeting on the roof that is good for comfort has sail area/displ of 17, while the other was 20, or while the other has a boat of better quality/brand but maybe has a volvo saildrive or even a in mast furling mainsails...one better and bigger heads, the other less vertical stair to get inside...one has better looking interior but uncomfortable galley or saloon...
Trade-offs ... Part of buying a boat. Every boat will have thinks you love, like and dislike. The trick is to know what you need, want and don't mind

For instance, the Dufour 405 GL has, if I'm not mistaken, one of those long galleys along the side of the boat. For me, that would be a no-no since I prefer a U or L shaped galley for any boat that's not usually in a marina.

The 'vertical stairs' are probably easy to change into something a little less steep, so that would be much less of an issue for me.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:40   #26

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

Quote:
Hi all

I'm in the moment that after saw many different boat i'm getting my idea on what i really want/need/preference/characteristics, ecc even i still need/want to visit much many more boat...

What made you decide ok i want this boat?
It means, how did you decide that THAT boat was your next-first boat?
You know when you look at so many boat that you wanted it all for a month and then (maybe) decide? But you know it will be worst

Did you just "calculated"(meaning get a vote from 1 to 5 for all the caracteristics, get an average and match it with all the other boats you visited, the best voted by you boat win , if i like it living inside i'll buy it) wich boat is for you, get it, visited it like it would be yours then made an offer?

Thanks all
Stef
For me it was the price of the boat and the overall condition. It wasn't exactly the boat that I wanted but since it is my first sailboat and it needed a relatively small amount of work, which I will be doing over the next couple of months, it's a great little boat to learn on before moving up to something a little bigger in a couple of years and I live on it rather comfortably.
chadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:03   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Like falling in love... You'll know the right boat it when it happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryD View Post
I picked the first one that was seaworthy and that I could afford.
Except it wasn't and I couldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
HAHA... Great first post!
Welcome to CF RoryD...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Trade-offs ... Part of buying a boat. Every boat will have thinks you love, like and dislike. The trick is to know what you need, want and don't mind

For instance, the Dufour 405 GL has, if I'm not mistaken, one of those long galleys along the side of the boat. For me, that would be a no-no since I prefer a U or L shaped galley for any boat that's not usually in a marina.

The 'vertical stairs' are probably easy to change into something a little less steep, so that would be much less of an issue for me.
Yep that's right.

Yes, i'm looking for boat just with along the side galley...I don't like the folding table that you always or almost, fold to pass to the bow cabin, a long side galley, according to me is far way more spacious-confortable to walk and pass along, imagine have setted up everything for lunch, you need to pass to bow cabin...everybody stand up, get on a side, you walk settle down along the sofa...

About stairs it depends on how much space is available in front of them, but in many boat modify the steps to be longer and further means everytime you will walk near the bottom of the stair you will get the last step into you leg's bone
Old 09-03-2016, 06:31   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc View Post
For me it was the price of the boat and the overall condition. It wasn't exactly the boat that I wanted but since it is my first sailboat and it needed a relatively small amount of work, which I will be doing over the next couple of months, it's a great little boat to learn on before moving up to something a little bigger in a couple of years and I live on it rather comfortably.
I also think the same about general condition and only little work to be done, i try to avoid upper fixer...otherwise i will go sailing in 2030...

About size, begin with a 30 ft, buy a 39-40 or even a 42 it's not such a big difference like learn on a 25 and then buy a 55 ft...or am i missing something?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Like falling in love... You'll know the right boat it when it happens...

HAHA... Great first post!
Welcome to CF RoryD...

LOL