Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 09:31   #46

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: When You Bought Yours First Boat....

After looking for a few months I chose the model I was most familiar with and had experience sailing even though it was a bit smaller than what I really wanted.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:15   #47

There is an old saying; "Paralysis by analysis".

Some people spend years looking and never buy. Turns out that they are happy with just having a dream.

To answer your question; in my case I waited until I had the ability to buy before I asked people to show me boats or take me on a sea trial.

My first purchase was a false start involving a wooden boat and a gas engine that I bought completely on a whim and didn't keep long.

Moving forward I knew that I wanted a fiberglass boat around 30' with a diesel and wheel steering that was a decent performer.

For me that ended up being a 1979 Pearson 30 that I paid $25,000 for back in the late 80's.

A year or so later I moved up to a Pearson 424 and moved aboard.

Had a lot of great times with that boat.

Frankly, I didn't spend a lot of time doing spreadsheets and multi comparisons based on numerous criteria. There will always be something else down the road and you will spend your time, as you say, on the internet and not sailing.

Later and after my liveaboard days I ended up with another Pearson 30 because I liked and knew them.

As has been said, a decent deal on a boat that suits you and that has broad market appeal when you resell has a lot of advantages.

Good luck.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:53   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

May I?

;-)

I am as a rule against buying a starter boat then stepping up WHEN YOUR AIM IS TO GO SAILING. Alas, a starter boat (say something small like a 30'er Bavaria) can be a great way to judge how big a boat we want and what the associated costs are IN THE ACTUAL use most boats get - 99% time tied to the dock. It actually helps to scale our requirements and get thru the first boat fever.

Buy small(-er), go never.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:56   #49

Boat: Rafiki 37

It was the first one I saw and had ever been on...

...not really the recommended method
Old 09-03-2016, 12:35   #50

The "perfect" boat like the "acceptable" boat are at best moving targets.
Grew up sailing sunfish. Then Catalina 2xs. Then stumbled into an Ocean Breeze cat about 30' and cheap (family squabble, broken leg...it needed a new home quick).
Sold It a couple years later. Five years go by and got a 38' TRI. Then an Iroquois now a Prout.

Each was perfect.... the best I could afford at the time.... and each taught me a lesson or six. As time went on speed became less important and knees more important. Headroom goes up, sleeping comfort goes up....comfort goes up.

Bullet proofness goes down constuction quality goes up. And on each boat, after I acquired the Admiral 36 years ago, it had to be pretty.

Most of the wisdom comes from hanging upside down in some small place with something digging into you back while you wonder why in the world anybody would put that there.... and if how you are going to wiggle back out.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 13:16   #51

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I love my boat, but it's not the boat I would have purchased if I had more knowledge. The boat I did purchase was based on what I could afford (what my wife would let me spend ) and then on what I could find. As I live on an Island all the boats on the Island were much dearer than on the mainland, so I went looking there. I sort of discounted boats that were too far to bring back within a two week period.

When I did finalise it, my choice was on what I liked the look of, price and distance to bring it home.

If I had my time again, I'd spend the 12 months I was looking actually visiting other peoples boats and probably would have leaned towards pilot house, possibly centre cockpit vessels.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 15:31   #52

I have own the same boat for 25 years

I raced and cruised on one for many years before so I knew that I wanted THAT boat

simple
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 16:14   #53
vjm

I am in the process of buying my first boat, and a big priority for me was finding one that I could sell immediately and not lose a bunch of money on. There seems to be a very tiny number of people whose first boat is their long term boat, so I while I wanted a boat that I loved and that ticked all my boxes, I also wanted one I could turn around and sell if I had to/wanted to. So no major projects, no overpaying, and no one offs/steel/ Ferro with limited buyer pools.

I love the boat I am going to see, I will probably buy her, and if I made a mistake out of my newness to sailing and boat ownership it won't be a fatal one to recover from.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 17:07   #54

Great question. I just bought my first sailboat, a 1980 C&C design Lancer 30. I've owned more than a few power boats. This was very different experience for me. For some reason it had a very personal feel to me, maybe because it was a life long dream of mine, too live aboard my own sailboat and sail my home waters. I knew what features I wanted in a boat, then started researching on line. I made a list, then a good friend of mine and I set off looking at the boats that made the list. One of the boats was actually 18 miles from where I was born and raised, moored not 4 miles from my daughters house. She was a few boats down the list, some 400 miles from where my hunt began. I talked to the owner Jon on the phone, a world class sailor who has sailed all his life, found myself liking this guy on the phone, I trust my instincts. We met at the marina where the boats moored and he say's, look her over, take as long as you like. Then he say's, Lets sit down for a bit here in the cockpit and talk for awhile, see if she's the boat for you. I guess what was/is different about this is I made a friend and sailing mentor, which now seems to make buying the boat secondary in a way. Her name is Full Circle, and thats what this whole thing of buy a sailboat was to me. A return to home waters after 30 years of being landlocked and a return to being close to my daughter, grandchildren, and now a 18 month old great grandchild. Full Circle Indeed! So to sum it up, a relationship of trust was formed between Jon and I, and I don't think he would have sold her to without that. Funny, when I handed him a rather fat envelope (we all like cash, right?) of fresh $100 bill's, he never even looked in it, and when he handed me an envelope with the title, I didn't look in it, just slipped it in a pocket. Jon was selling what may have been his last sailboat (health) after a life at sea, I was buying my first. I knew Full Circle was to be mine and so did Jon. Destiny? Fate? I don't know, but it was one of the best experience's of my life. Thank you Capt Jon!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 17:15   #55

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

See now Stinky, that's exactly the kind of story that tells you THAT is the right boat! Excellent! Kinda like my story, I looked up and down the coast for a C 29 and it turned out to be in my nearest harbor, but it sold before I could get it! My wife said I looked crushed. I called the former owner and told him that if the new owner backed out, give me a call. A month later I got the call... Pretty silly how happy a little boat can make you, huh?
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 17:26   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
See now Stinky, that's exactly the kind of story that tells you THAT is the right boat! Excellent! Kinda like my story, I looked up and down the coast for a C 29 and it turned out to be in my nearest harbor, but it sold before I could get it! My wife said I looked crushed. I called the former owner and told him that if the new owner backed out, give me a call. A month later I got the call... Pretty silly how happy a little boat can make you, huh?
I know perfectly what your saying, It is rather amazing! I'm really happy that you also ended up on THE boat you were meant to be on! It's a grand life we have, is it not?
Fair winds Brother!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:24   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Some of our key criteria were:
- solid and safe boat (cruising orientation)
- good visibility to the surrounding views and comfort in all weather, pilothouse style preferred over cellar style
- interior must be homelike, good functional design and wood preferred over plastics
- good sailing capabilities but no interest in racing level capabilities
Yep also this matter...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:30   #58

Thanks all for the answer
Old 10-03-2016, 03:48   #59

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
I also think the same about general condition and only little work to be done, i try to avoid upper fixer...otherwise i will go sailing in 2030...

About size, begin with a 30 ft, buy a 39-40 or even a 42 it's not such a big difference like learn on a 25 and then buy a 55 ft...or am i missing something?
I have a 27' right now that I'm learning on, and living on, with the plan of moving up to a 35'-40' in five years and that boat will be one like I want and will be my retirement/cruising home.
chadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:50   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc View Post
I have a 27' right now that I'm learning on, and living on, with the plan of moving up to a 35'-40' in five years and that boat will be one like I want and will be my retirement/cruising home.
Thanks