Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 06:38   #31

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: When You Bought Yours First Boat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Yes, i'm looking for boat just with along the side galley...I don't like the folding table that you always or almost, fold to pass to the bow cabin,
I've never been on a boat (over 26') where you can't walk past the table when it's 'unfolded' (don't know how to call it in English), but on some boats, it is narrow.

I have cooked in those galleys on rolling / heeling boats; wasn't really doable. Which is why they rank high on my 'avoid' list
Old 09-03-2016, 07:03   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

The boat we have simply ticked all of the boxes but one. At that point, it was THE perfect boat. It still is an excellent boat fourteen years down the road.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:29   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I've never been on a boat (over 26') where you can't walk past the table when it's 'unfolded' (don't know how to call it in English), but on some boats, it is narrow.

I have cooked in those galleys on rolling / heeling boats; wasn't really doable. Which is why they rank high on my 'avoid' list
Mh, in that case it means you have a "sofa" quite away from the table, if there is space to walk between the sofa and the table...

Just to know on wich boat brand models you tried to cook? During cruise or at anchor?
Thanks
Stef
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:31   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The boat we have simply ticked all of the boxes but one. At that point, it was THE perfect boat. It still is an excellent boat fourteen years down the road.

b.

Thanks pratically is what we are trying to do

Ticked all the boxes (thanks for new term LOL Google is my friend)
Old 09-03-2016, 08:07   #35

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

Find what pleases the eyes, budget, options, for you comfort. Include estimated insurance, storage fees, repairs--I figure repairs at 10-30% cost of vessel in yearly to properly maintain craft to safe factory specs. boating, if not used for commercial business is a luxury, up and and over your normal budget. choose wisely, and good luck on your quest. "Live the life!"
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:17   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Looked at lots of boats, lived on one for a year, so had a list of deal breakers and must haves. From there, it was pure chemistry. I LOVE my boat (in the way one can love a thing). IMHO, this is important. A boat requires unconditional commitment, sacrifice, maintenance, loving care, a nice upgrade gift from time to time, and quality time together on the water. In short, it's a Relationship.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:18   #37

Boat: Nauticat 32

Some of our key criteria were:
- solid and safe boat (cruising orientation)
- good visibility to the surrounding views and comfort in all weather, pilothouse style preferred over cellar style
- interior must be homelike, good functional design and wood preferred over plastics
- good sailing capabilities but no interest in racing level capabilities
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidSheeleen View Post
Find what pleases the eyes, budget, options, for you comfort. Include estimated insurance, storage fees, repairs--I figure repairs at 10-30% cost of vessel in yearly to properly maintain craft to safe factory specs. boating, if not used for commercial business is a luxury, up and and over your normal budget. choose wisely, and good luck on your quest. "Live the life!"
Thanks for the advice Especially the last sentence

P.s. just to know, in italy full kasko insurance for a fiat panda used (value about 5.000 euro, new model just 2014) is 1200 euro a year, while for a 199 feeling 39, full kasko, insured for 80.000 euro is 1.700 euro a year ahahah

I love italy so much
END OT
Old 09-03-2016, 08:35   #39

Boat: Boatless

Scroll down to "Hunter, really?" "The Table" | sailingohana

For us it always been narrowing down the basics then looking. The "right one" has always popped up in that process.

Good luck!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:46   #40

Someone once told me: " Choosing a boat is somewhat like choosing a wife, " ! LOL
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:58   #41

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

Buying is an emotional decision, selling is a financial decision. True with any thing, whether boat, or house or car or whatever. Realize this and embrace it. If you are not emotionally attached to your purchase, you'll never be happy with your decision.

That said, I looked almost a year for my boat. I knew I wanted to eventually live aboard, but had a hard time determining Motor vs Sailboat. Love the sailing idea and experiece, but do not like either being out in the elements or in a cave. Love the spaciousness of a motor yacht, but not the fact that the engines are always running in order for me to move. This was an ongoing dilemma, changing every day 49%-51% on which I preferred.

I also knew I wanted to start with the end in mind, rather than buying and selling up and up to the eventual size. I like to work on things, so investing sweat equity into something I knew would be temporary was less appealing.

I evenutally settled on a spacious Motorsailer, as it has the engine power (x2) and indoor salon of a cruiser and the sailing options (albeit paltry) of a sailboat. I don't plan on winning any sailing races, but I have multiple options for locomotion. Most importantly, I love it! It suits my needs, and though a fixer upper, it's become not only a labor of love, but also a great learning journey.

Good luck!
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:00   #42

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
First boat...

Why did you choose/thought the 26ft CC? Wich were your needs?
Why are you happy because you get a different boat?
Did you discover later that it would had been wrong for you?, For wich characteristics?

Excuse me for many question, just to understand
I was choosing the wrong boat because I did not know enough about where I was going, how that particular design would handle it and what I really wanted to do with the boat. That first boat had very little room, not very stable and would have been very wet, for where I wanted to cruise. HOWEVER at 19 I am SURE I still would have had a lot of fun with that boat too, just not as much as my Columbia 24. Sometimes arranged marriages can work out very well!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:06   #43

I am in the process of finding and buying my first 'cruising / live aboard' boat.

I have found the relative new book: 'Bluewater Sailing on a Budget' by Captain Jim Effers to be very helpful...
laurindodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:11   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

If you completely "unfold" the table on an IP, you cant walk past it, but it easily seats 7 people unfolded that way, half unfolded you can walk past it easily, but it only seats 4
I don't know when I'd ever try to seat 7 people for dinner, but when the kids are with us, we unfold completely so the teenagers have plenty of room and seem to fight less
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:20   #45

Boat: Catalina 30

I'd been borrowing my friend's C-25 for a couple of years when I saw a similar C-25 for sale and made the plunge... 40 years ago. Been through a Ericson 27, Tartan 30, HT-41 and now back to a C-28-II in the time since....
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote