Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2022, 07:56   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII
Re: when to replace rigging

two years ago, bought a 1987 C&C 33MKII Rod Rigging. During the inspection before the sale, the rigging was checked, but only at the deck level. Took the mast off that winter and had my rigger inspect. Although the rigging was ok, the "nubs" at the spreaders were very worn. This was only seen at a detailed inspection with the mast down, I was with the rigger during the inspection.
We replaced the rigging that winter.

I would recommend taking the mast down and doing an inspection.

In any case, you will probably need to replace the rigging after 20 yrs. Better to do it now, it's a safety issue. Having the rigging break while sailing is very dangerous.

Fair Winds
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:11   #17

I have re rigged my own boat before. Kept the mast up and did it one or 2 wires at a time. I used staylocs on the bottom and had rigger sewage the tops as they receive MUCH less salt and abuse aloft. Was not overly difficult, and safe using back up harlyars or prussic slings. Saved a few thousand. Have done 2 of my boats now, a Kelly Peterson 44 cutter and a Cal ll-46 ketch.

Make sure that you have a good COMFORTABLE bosons chair! And it’s also good to have an easier way to “crank” you way up like a power winch or windlass, or wincher. As there is a fair amount of up and down
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:36   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

Alternatively you could replace it with Dyneema Dux which has no problems with crevice corrosion etc.

And while you are at it, replace the terminal fittings with titanium.

Check out Coligo Marine for the parts etc. No affiliation with them, just a happy customer. Call up John Franta, mention my name, and he will help you out.

And you can do all the work yourself with the mast still standing. We did that twice.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:44   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

We have a Catalina 30 that is 37 years old, most of which has been on a freshwater lake. To our knowledge the standing rigging had never been replaced so we replaced it this year during a major refit. I did the work myself using the Trim-2-Fit kit from Catalina Direct. I really like the Hi-Mod compression fittings. If I were to do it again, I would make my own stays and shrouds
so I could have the compression fittings on the top as well. (The Catalina kit comes with factory swagged fittings for the mast head and the Hayn Hi-Mod (Like Stay-loc) for the deck ends.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:41   #20

Boat: Bavaria 36'

The issue with any metal under varying loads is fatigue. Continual stretching and release quietly inflicts hidden cumulative damage. The damage is not visible by eye or even x-rays or other such techniques. The heavier and more prolonged the more the metal fatigues. But even tied up with a slight swell moving the mast back and forward adds up. Lots of sailing in big waves in strong winds build the fatigue quicker.

I sailed a 55 foot sailboat with new rigging. The forestay was let go by a broken fork end fitting which had not been replaced with the wire. The one inch diameter stainless steel fitting showed no evidence of previous cracking, it appeared to have just broken across. We were not in heavy weather at the time.

Twenty year old rigging- I’d have replaced it ten years ago.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:15   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I was on a construction job once where I've seen "stainless steel" wire come out of China that started rusting a week later..
Off course, it's less expensive, which is why the contractor chose it..bad choice...as he had to replace all of it..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Giles View Post
The issue with any metal under varying loads is fatigue. Continual stretching and release quietly inflicts hidden cumulative damage. The damage is not visible by eye or even x-rays or other such techniques. The heavier and more prolonged the more the metal fatigues. But even tied up with a slight swell moving the mast back and forward adds up. Lots of sailing in big waves in strong winds build the fatigue quicker.

I sailed a 55 foot sailboat with new rigging. The forestay was let go by a broken fork end fitting which had not been replaced with the wire. The one inch diameter stainless steel fitting showed no evidence of previous cracking, it appeared to have just broken across. We were not in heavy weather at the time.

Twenty year old rigging- I’d have replaced it ten years ago.
+++1

An old cruiser friend of mine bought a 1966 Pearson Triton in the late 1960s and immediately sailed and cruised the Bahamas for 6 months each year into the late 1970s. The boat sat in a Ft Lauderdale canal the rest of the year. He replaced the rigging in 1973-4 for general maintenance but everything looked good. When he coiled the old wire it was super brittle and started breaking strands everywhere. Fatigue took the toll and it didn't make 10 yrs. under his sailing conditions.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:28   #23

Inspection time includes driving, setup climbing equipment, doing the report, etc.

After 20 years replace it. Do it yourself save money
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:37   #24

I've lost two masts but neither due to rigging failure (inversion and hit by port boat). I am a bit skeptical about the 10 year rule and note that it's usually a friend of a friend who has the problems, never someone with direct experience of a loss.

That satellite dish (the James Bond one) was up for almost 60 years before it went and we don't know whether the design factors included the hurricanes and earthquakes that it suffered during that period of usage.

Engineers could replace everything on a 'just to be safe' basis, but it would make the world a very expensive place.
PhilipL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 15:16   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 30 MkII

You guys are amazing! This forum is amazing! I've learned so much reading these posts; savored every word. Time to take a MUCH closer look at my rig.
Khaos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 17:27   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We replaced our chainplates and rigging on our 1985 Kaufman 47 in 2019. We have no idea if the shrouds were original, but I'm confident that the chainplates were. We found a crack in the backstay chainplate and a crack in the starboard cap shroud tang. All of the wires and turnbuckles were found in good condition. Professional riggers quoted $20K for the shrouds alone. I did all of the work with the rig standing including the chainplates for about $8K. It took about two months from start to finish. It was a labor intensive and time consuming project. Questions???
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:59   #27

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
We replaced our chainplates and rigging on our 1985 Kaufman 47 in 2019. We have no idea if the shrouds were original, but I'm confident that the chainplates were. We found a crack in the backstay chainplate and a crack in the starboard cap shroud tang. All of the wires and turnbuckles were found in good condition. Professional riggers quoted $20K for the shrouds alone. I did all of the work with the rig standing including the chainplates for about $8K. It took about two months from start to finish. It was a labor intensive and time consuming project. Questions???
20k for rigging replacement in a kaufman 47 it's a theft... even if they charge 3000k for crane work.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipL View Post
I've lost two masts but neither due to rigging failure (inversion and hit by port boat). I am a bit skeptical about the 10 year rule and note that it's usually a friend of a friend who has the problems, never someone with direct experience of a loss.

That satellite dish (the James Bond one) was up for almost 60 years before it went and we don't know whether the design factors included the hurricanes and earthquakes that it suffered during that period of usage.

Engineers could replace everything on a 'just to be safe' basis, but it would make the world a very expensive place.
It happens and if you aren't active enough might not see it personally. I had a backstay let go on a Hobie cat and the mast came down but the mainsail made like a parachute and the mast floated down without breaking...boat was less than 10 yrs old. On a Pennant 29 with 7/8 rig a jumper stay terminal swage let go while running in 30kts but no other damage...don't know the age but it was probably old. Last but not least I purchased a 12yr old 34' Islander completely sans rig from rigging failure.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging