Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2014, 18:35   #31

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: When is Musty, Moldy, and/or Water in the Bilge a yes/no for Boat Buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
The vast majority of boats I've been looking at are asking at least 30% - 40% over what they are likely to get...
Why are you wasting your time on these if they're so over-priced.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 21:59   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Why are you wasting your time on these if they're so over-priced.
I don't think I'm wasting my time. I"m becoming very familiar with some of the models that are on my list. Getting a sense of what issues are common to what models. Getting better at spotting boats that have been neglected and then spruced up for sale. But much of the time "looking" just means going through listings, maybe firing off a few questions to a broker, comparing similar boats. I'm in no hurry. It just seems like a lot of owners are banking on that guy who is going to fall so in love with their boat that he won't mind paying considerably more than it's worth. Pretty sure that ain't gonna be me.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 05:55   #33

Yes....but how does anyone know what it's worth? I keep hearing, "a boat is worth exactly what you choose to pay for it." Soldboats.com is only as trustworthy as the salesman who gives you the figures (did I just use the words "trustworthy" and "salesman" in the same sentence????).

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Panamax. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 10:33   #34

Boat: csy 37

Sardinebreath, you are doing exactly the right thing. Keep looking and gain the knowledge first.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 11:28   #35

My 44 footer had sat unused in the PNW for about 3 years... owner had health problems. The boat smelled terrible, it was mostly the foam and upholstery that was the problem. Washing the cushion covers even with a touch of bleach added did nothing to alleviate the mold smell on them. Ended up with all new once the boat was rebuilt. smell gone.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 11:35   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
There are a ton of places that water comes into a boat. The only boats I have ever seen dry are less than 5 years old.
you need to get out more on nice dry production boats
Old 22-08-2014, 11:39   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwill View Post
I came to search for an answer for this very question. I was seriously considering a 36' boat purchase and while inspecting, i lifted the floor panel, and I saw water in the bilge. A lot of it just swishing around in there. I am new to sailboats, so don't understand this.

I do not understand how there could/should be water in there? Basic condensation would not put that amount of water in there would it? This is a boat that the owner just leaves docked most of the time. I also saw a small leak on a hose, but even that seems like a small factor.
Unless you have a dripless shaft packing or saildrive, water enters from that.
Also, Most bilge pumps allow the water in the hose to flow back into the bilge when they shut off.
Sometimes Fridge drains go to the bilge.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 23:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamax. View Post
Yes....but how does anyone know what it's worth? I keep hearing, "a boat is worth exactly what you choose to pay for it." Soldboats.com is only as trustworthy as the salesman who gives you the figures (did I just use the words "trustworthy" and "salesman" in the same sentence????).

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I use BUC to get rough estimates. But mostly it's finding out the actual selling prices of particular boats. When a boat is listed privately, I will call the seller sometime after it sells and just explain that I'm considering that model and it would be helpful if I knew what his had sold for. They are often very forthcoming. Even when boats sell through a broker there are sometimes things you can do. I've gotten to know some brokers well and they will pass on information on boats that have sold--whether or not they represented them. Once I ran across a boat that I had been considering but that had sold and I was able to strike up a conversation with the new owner. People love to talk about their boats and when he learned that I had also been interested in his boat, he was happy to tell me about the whole transaction (offer, counter, survey, adjustments, final price). I maybe should have bought that boat. At this point, I'm much more confident about my ability to quickly value a particular boat so I'm going to be less likely to miss an opportunity by hesitating. It helps to be semi-retired: some months I do nothing but boat research.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 11:48   #39

The boat I just bought has all of the above. That was part of the deal for me. I need a good hobby project that already had good sails and rigging because I knew little about that part. I found exactly what I was looking for. Hairline cracks on the cabin top have molded the headliner, and leaky window gaskets have stained and molded a some of the plywood cabin walls. The chain locker has a hairline leak that has molded some wood in the head. There are probably 50-60 other little things I could mention along with these items.

It's a $1000.00 boat that is full of hobby work as far as I am concerned. Plenty of busy work to pass the time. I am in heaven.

I fully understand those who would like to spend their time sailing instead of tinkering like myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3664.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	87019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3673.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	87020  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	87021  
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 17:08   #40

Boat: Allied 42 XL2

I agree with "if it feels right, do it" opinion. My wife and I bought a wrecked Shannon 38 while it was still on its side in a parking lot after IKE. The boat was what we had been looking for, so we bought her from the insurance company and made it work; and we are glad we did. Oil in the bilge, water stains, mold, mildew all have solutions. We did 95% of the work ourselves and enjoyed doing it. Now we have a great boat, that we know inside and out, that we are comfortable taking anywhere.

Enjoy whatever you get!
crosswire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 16:00   #41

Boat: Currently shopping

This is what we are doing right now! Looking for one that needs some work! This way I will know things are what they are, and that will help us feel more confident about the boat and what it will be capable of! Right, wrong, if it works then it works! Of course I want to be out on the run, But at least we will know it's capable of crossing that finish line!
cappy.c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, buying, mold, water