Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 09:27   #16

Re: When is a boat a new boat?

Buy a 2020 model Bene and be done with it!
Frank 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:41   #17

Boat: X442

Out of interest, and to understand the project a bit better, is this your first boat?
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:48   #18

Boat: Bavaria C57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
Out of interest, and to understand the project a bit better, is this your first boat?
No, currently campaign a Beneteau Sense 46 around the Med. So many of the comments on cost of ownership, maintenance etc etc are well known to me.
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:00   #19

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
No, currently campaign a Beneteau Sense 46 around the Med. So many of the comments on cost of ownership, maintenance etc etc are well known to me.
Excellent, then you are in an enviable situation indeed! Plenty of experience to manage the boat, which also happens to be brand new! In terms of which to go for, I would be focused almost entirely on what you want and if that happens to be the 2018 yacht, get some money off.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:22   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
To be honest if you have that kind of money to spend one would assume that your not a silly person
Silly to assume that. All the most intelligent people I know are in no way motivated by acquiring wealth.

Quote:
I am leaning toward not buying new and go for a two year old boat that ticks all the boxes.
That would be a smarter move. Put energy into locating a good honest buyer's broker.

Avoid manufacturer and charter outfits, salesmen in general.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:20   #21

Boat: Gib sea 43

The HIN number will have a date stamp , so regardless of commissioning , it will be a 2018 boat when it comes time to sell, unless serious discount, buy new or buy 2 yr old with a big discount. My tuppence worth!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26   #22

Quote:
When is a boat a new boat?
When you're the one ripping the plastic off of the upholstered cushions and the tape off the cabinet doors.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:46   #23

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Let’s review - the Beneteau is a 2 year old boat never used. What part of that is confusing?

If you need quantitative empirical data, review sold boats which differ in age by 2 years. Your answer should then be self-evident.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:55   #24

Boat: Outbound 46

Maybe you should just buy a 2020 Beneteau? If its the same price, the only downside would be waiting for the boat to be built. And you would have it spec'd exactly as you want. I think reminding the broker of this option might get you a better quote on the 2018.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 14:25   #25

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Quote:
The original question was posed as the dealer told me that the age of the boat was based on the commissioning date and not the year of manufacture hence why he was quoting of list price of a new boat. Of course he then, as they all did, added a significant discount. Fully aware of the costs of running a boat, however, I have never bought a new boat before and am aware of initial issues but assume these would all be covered under warranty.

I could opt now for a boat more suited to a circumnavigation but this will be considerably more expensive and not offer the accommodation of a boat designed primarily for island hopping with built in BBQ, beer fridge, aircon etc etc.

Therefore I want to buy a boat that is more appropriate for my immediate needs (next 2 to 3 years and potentially longer).

I am leaning toward not buying new and go for a two year old boat that ticks all the boxes.
That's where it's at, ALL THE BOXES!!

Also look at buying the next boat now, it's not going to be much different than the "Stepping Stone Boat".

It sounds like you have enough experience to know what you want in a good solid boat, this way you get to outfit & get experience with the ultimate boat you want anyway. And I don't think a Med Cruising boat and a Round the World boat are that much different. Think about it, the med boat will be more Marina friendly, the Round the World boat more self sufficient, but self sufficiency is always a goal of mine in adventures, land or sea.

Then look at resale expectations, the the 2018 Bene will always be a2018 Bene.

Capt. Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:13   #26

Thanks All,

So from your suggestions/comments;

1 Go for the 2018 Bene but drive a hard bargain given the age. The commissioning date is not the age of the boat.
2 Order a new Bene which is exactly to my spec (no after market stuff as required for 1 above)
3 Go for a boat designed for world cruising regardless of what I end up doing.
4 Go for a two year old (Med) boat, low hours, one careful private owner etc etc with near the spec I want as possible (which also allows me to potentially look at slightly bigger floating plastic for the same budget).

As far as the question of waiting for a new build this is not a problem as I have my Sense 46 which is a perfectly good boat whilst waiting for delivery.

So decision time!

I will let you know the outcome in the next few months.

Thank you all for your insight.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
That's where it's at, ALL THE BOXES!!

but self sufficiency is always a goal of mine in adventures, land or sea.

Capt. Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Foot note to your comment. I, like you, am obsessed with self sufficiency. I have set my current boat up for months at anchor without the need to go near a marina (rip off prices in the Med).

I have installed DC watermaker, loads of solar (800 watts on fabricated arch), loads of domestic batteries (700ah), oversized ground tackle (rocna 33kg, 12mm chain), battery monitoring and even though I do have a generator I feel guilty every time I go near the on switch. I sail as much as possible. All that needs adding is beer, food and diesel (in no particular order) the latter maybe once or twice a season. Be interested to know if you have any other tips to further my self sufficiency obsession?

Haddock
Old 08-10-2019, 12:23   #28

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Let’s review - the Beneteau is a 2 year old boat never used. What part of that is confusing?

If you need quantitative empirical data, review sold boats which differ in age by 2 years. Your answer should then be self-evident.
I think there is little empirical data available about two year old boats that have never been used.

When we bought our new boat this year I was briefly considering the same thing OP is asking.

Our new boat had three different years:

1) The model year (2019)
2) The manufacturing year (2018, end of 2018)
3) The actual handover, first time in water, start of use year (2019)

I think it's probable that the actual physical degradation of the boat (of which the sails are a considerable chunk that depreciate quickly) starts at point 3.

Depending on how the boat (with engine) is stored, some degradation might obviously happen between 2 and 3 as well, but as a buyer you're allowed to expect a perfect boat at 3, and if not, it should be fixed within the warranty time.

If I'd list the boat for sale now, I'd say the more relevant year is the handover (and model) year. If a listing site specifically asks for the manufacturing year, I would try to make sure the commissioning year is visible somewhere high up in the description text.

I just had to check the B&G warranty, for instance, and they start from when the boat has been handed over to the customer, not from when it has been manufactured.

But well, yes, the manufacturing year matters, obviously. Even if the boats are exactly the same-- never used sails, never used engine, etc--, it requires some extra effort to convince the prospective buyer that they in fact are. And he/she won't completely buy it anyway
Old 08-10-2019, 14:46   #29

Boat: Leopard 39

A 2018 boat on the hard is NOT a new boat. It is a 2 year old used boat that has limited in water use. It has still been exposed to 2 years of UV degradation, airborne grit et al contaminants from the boat yard and may not have had the engines or any other systems run regularly during that time. Which means seals and belts have dried out, hoses have stiffened, fluids have not circulated/lubed interior parts, deck hardware has corroded, batteries lives have been shortened, etc. When ordered, the original buyer undoubtedly put up a meaningful deposit which was then forfeited when the order was cancelled. The broker's fee may also have been paid and was forfeited. All of these factors offer a significant opportunity for negotiating a much better price than 2020 list. A previously owned 2018 Bene 51 might be a better buy considering that many "new boat" issues have been addressed but there will always be the "now they're your problems" that exist when buying a used boat. If your budget allows I would vote for a new 2020 Beneteau fitted out to your specific requirements that you could then tweak to optimal condition while under warranty. With your current 46 at hand and having financial purchase options you are the Big Dog in the room and can call the shots. An enviable position. Have fun.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:19   #30

I have a caravan manufactured in Nov 2014 but commissioned in 2015. Sale price reflects 2014 and not 2015 much to my chagrin. When the van is sold then I’ll look for a yacht commissioned a year or two after the manufactured date!😏
Frank 101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat