Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-06-2015, 16:14   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: wheel vs. tiller steering

Quote:
Yes, the core of my cockpit sole was also totally rotten, thanks wheel!
Had nothing to do with the wheel. Had everything to do with the person who installed it and the person who let the situation get out of hand through lack of maintenance.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 16:15   #122

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: tiller all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
^^^ what he said, ten years ago^^^

Physics fanboys can explain what friction does to a feedback system.

They can also tell you the simplest test to compare the robustness of two different components or assemblies is to try to use one as a tool to render the other inoperable.

My money is on the lever. Anybody with a wheel steering system want to try and take me?
And you accused me of being emotional about the subject...

Jim
Old 14-06-2015, 16:49   #123

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I will bet most airline pilots are pissed they enclosed the cockpit too.

Bring me down...and I repeat down to any level...and I will agree to leave.

The point has been made and plenty of smart boaters and designers see the difference in the two and yet there are examples, good and bad of both, and the world still turns, wheels and tillers both cross oceans with regular problem free frequency.

Use what you like, just don't think your choice is superior in all ways.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 16:58   #124

Boat: PSC Orion 27

So, no consensus after a ten year discussion? Kind of answers the question, doesn't it.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 17:02   #125
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

well...we havent talked about anchors and guns and cathamerangs
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 17:15   #126
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I will bet most airline pilots are pissed they enclosed the cockpit too.

Bring me down...and I repeat down to any level...and I will agree to leave.

The point has been made and plenty of smart boaters and designers see the difference in the two and yet there are examples, good and bad of both, and the world still turns, wheels and tillers both cross oceans with regular problem free frequency.

Use what you like, just don't think your choice is superior in all ways.

There are many things in boating that really are dependent upon "personal choice/taste." Starting with your choice of boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 17:29   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Had nothing to do with the wheel. Had everything to do with the person who installed it and the person who let the situation get out of hand through lack of maintenance.
Well, no wheel, no pedestal. No pedestal, no three inch diameter hole through sole surrounded by three more half-inch diameter holes.

Was bed with 5200 to boot which I think did more to hold the pedestal in place than the three half-inch aluminum bolts that were used for the installation. After the fact pretty sure coulda kicked the thing and broke the bolts and tore up the gelcoat while unshipping.

Maybe they got over that one and switched to stainless. Don't know, don't care. Not my problem. I hope they did though, because those aluminum bolts were halved by the inevitable water intrusion that resulted from the pedestal being a four foot lever arm with barely a six inch base.

You know, that one prominent feature in the cockpit everybody reaches for grabs onto all the time when the boat is getting tossed about. Go figure.

Wannabes with fifteen, twenty, or thirty year old boats might be well served to not just take a surveyors word for it before they head out there, cuz you know out there is where things happen.

Show of hands for those who can say they have removed and inspected those bolts on their pedestals ever.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 18:44   #128

Quote:
Show of hands for those who can say they have removed and inspected those bolts on their pedestals ever.
I have!

Oh... that's right... I don't own a boat yet.

Well, I'm sure I would have if I had one.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 20:12   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Nope, but I have had to do repairs on my tiller (when I had a boat) and rudder head.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 21:10   #130

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Legitimate, non-rhetorical question: What is the typical way that a cruising boat's tiller is secured so that the helms-person may let go?

I have seen jam cleats and other devices permanently attached to tillers and I suppose many folks use a simple lashing. Does anyone use some sort of adjustable friction device? or clutch?

In Panope's previous incarnation 1982-2000, she had worm gear steering. Unless a big following sea necessitated constant corrections, we rarely maintained a continuous grasp of the helm. Instead, the helm was occasionally nudged (with a toe) one way or the other. It sure was nice to have free hands for eating or whatever. We always wondered how a tiller steered boat could be set up to allow this kind of freedom.

Panope now has a chain/sprocket/cable/quadrant arrangement of my own design that as very little friction. I was planning on building an adjustable friction device but I now have the sailing rig so well balanced that it is not needed. Unless the boat is waaaay over powered (rail buried), the helm does not creep.

I can sure see (now) where the pro-tiller crowd is coming from about how nice it is to have "feedback". Not that my current system would have as much feel as a tiller, but it is light years ahead of the old worm-gear system.

For me, the ability to let go of the helm instantaneously (and leave) is a tremendously valuable feature.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 21:19   #131

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraGH View Post
At the risk of reviving an old and long thread - I have seen boats with wheels that carry emergency tillers. I have never seen a boat with a tiller that had an emergency wheel.

As a Cape George 36 driver with a simple barn door rudder and tiller, count me firmly in the tiller camp.
Then why did you revive it?

Of course this thread died 3 times already so why not help it along for a couple more cylces?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 05:17   #132

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Legitimate, non-rhetorical question: What is the typical way that a cruising boat's tiller is secured so that the helms-person may let go?

I have seen jam cleats and other devices permanently attached to tillers and I suppose many folks use a simple lashing. Does anyone use some sort of adjustable friction device? or clutch?

In Panope's previous incarnation 1982-2000, she had worm gear steering. Unless a big following sea necessitated constant corrections, we rarely maintained a continuous grasp of the helm. Instead, the helm was occasionally nudged (with a toe) one way or the other. It sure was nice to have free hands for eating or whatever. We always wondered how a tiller steered boat could be set up to allow this kind of freedom.

Steve
Most folk with tillers have a simple tiller autopilot to lock down the tiller. My old Navico made a chirping sound like a bird so I used to just turn it off once on my desired heading with the tiller still attached and locked in position.

I would then read sitting in the cockpit leaning against the cabin with the main sheet across my lap (but still cleated) . If I needed to adjust the heading, I'd just ease or tighten the main just a bit. No toes involved!
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 05:45   #133

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Our boat has a method I've never seen anywhere else (although I'm sure it can't be unique). It involves the use of heavy bronze belaying pins with a range of placement holes in a track along the stern of the cockpit. This allows us to lock the tiller in a wide range of locations.

Using this system our boat, with it's full keel (15 ton, 37-foot), will maintain a course for a long time if we're properly balanced. Of course she'll steer herself when close-hauled.

The pic shows the two belaying pins that we move around as need be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiller_belaying_pins.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	103762  
Old 15-06-2015, 06:37   #134

AKA a tiller comb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tiller.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	103763   Click image for larger version

Name:	tillercomb.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	103764  

Name:	6891979857_9f4ca2a060_z.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	103765  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 06:43   #135

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
AKA a tiller comb.
Cool. Thanks . I've seen lots of tiller-tamer approaches, with clutches and lines to tie off the tiller, but I'd never seen another one like ours ... until now.