Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 12:23   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Wheel Steered 28 - 30ft yachts????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsellis View Post
HI , thanks, I intend to teach on the yacht, and i see a demand for small wheel steered, with 2:1 pupil/instructor ratio. 40ft is too large. I can't see how to edit my post though, cos only intended 1 head (not heads). thanks Paul
Paul, I see you are in the UK, are you planning teaching in the UK? because the yacht will need to coded to MCA 280 (there may be an amendment to MCA 280 as well).

Having been through coding a boat its not something to take lightly and will cost £2000 plus for a yacht. You also need a stability certificate which will dictate the area you can operate and here is the catch, yachts below about 32ft are unlikely to qualify for area category 2 therefore can't cross the English Channel.

Its over 5 years since I had to deal with this but believe a Bavaria 32 with a deep fin keel would qualify whilst a shallow keel may not. You must mention the need for coding with your surveyor before buying so he can advise the likely changes needed, some yachts will be more difficult than others.

I would start by printing off MCA 280 and spending a night reading carefully. Also worth reading this, Duncan Saunders is my surveyor and a friend:

http://www.saundersmorganharris.com/da/18577

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 12:44   #17

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

I can think of the Dehler ranger with aft cabins and wheel steering:
- 1979 Dehler Delanta 80 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
- 1980 Dehler Duetta 86 AS Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 19-02-2012, 17:12   #18

Boat: Edel Center cockpit 820
Hey Paul
I have a 820 Edel (28 footer) center cockpit so it has a completely separate aft cabin and V berth, not big cabins but cozy, has a nice size head with shower and vanity and good lay out overall , wheel steering and diesel engine very solid boat built in the eighties and sell in Canada between $15,000 and $18,000
My boat is Canadian built but they are a french boat also built in France so I'm sure there is still some around over there

Pat
Georgianbaysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 09:13   #19

Hi Pete7, thanks for the reply.
i will have a read, ta,
I have previously coded a Sadler 34 and run a school, and know its an onerous process, so am not rushing into it. Will also save your friends details . cheers
Paul
Paulsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 09:20   #20

Pete7,
i sometimes teach out of Mercury Marina, so might look up the surveyors you mentioned, ta Paul
Paulsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 09:30   #21

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

It wouldn't surprise me if more boats in that size range have wheels than tillers. My Hunter 30 is one that does. Turns very tightly. I believe some made it over to your side of the pond.

I've always been a fan of the Westerly sailboats, and know some were fitted with wheels - some a retro fit. The Konsort 29 has a design I really like with V-birth up front, rear quarter birth and settees that also convert nicely.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 18:25   #22

My Konsort duo was manufacturer-fit with hydraulic steering. The pilot berth is under the nav station port-amidships. The feet extend under the v-berth a la Crealock. Galley & pilot berth to port, just where they should be. If you buy one replace the Volvo with a betamarine and you'll be as pleased as I am. Thank PO !!
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel