Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 10:20   #31

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
Re: What's Normal Cost of Bottom Paint on 50ft like a Beneteau ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
morally unjustifiable tin-based anti fouling paints.
Here is the thing about morals they are extremely subjective. I see no paint as morally unjustifiable. However I do not worship at the church of environmentalism.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 11:18   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hmmm... I'm looking for that word "only"....dont see it...?
If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize. I do not however, subscribe to the philosophy that nothing should be done about boating pollution because the big boys still get to pollute seemingly unfettered. Yes, something should be done about that as well, but no reason boaters shouldn't do as much as they can on an individual level as well.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 11:27   #33
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
I see no paint as morally unjustifiable.
How about pouring motor oil down the storm drain? Is that morally unjustifiable? Because intentionally using a product that is not only illegal but is proven to be extremely harmful to the marine environment, ie: tributyl tin anti fouling paint, is akin to that. Doing something that harms others or the environment simply because it is cheaper or more convenient than readily accessible and effective alternatives is the definition of morally unjustifiable, in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
I do not worship at the church of environmentalism.
Clearly.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:32   #34

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
harms others or the environment simply because it is cheaper or more convenient than readily accessible and effective alternatives is the definition of morally unjustifiable, in my book.
As I said subjective.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 11:39   #35

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
Bear in mind that anti fouling techniques that work for a cruising boat may not translate well to a boat that lives in a slip or on a mooring. And I know of no anti fouling paint available in the U.S. who's manufacturer recommends applying their products as heavily as you do or claims a lifespan for their paints that you claim you get from yours (aside from Micron 66, from which you got about as much use as anybody ever does.)
Hello Fstbttms, No we don't live on a slip or mooring, but we do spend 6 months on a dock for winter. Our water temp goes from about 12 deg C to 28 odd when in the tropics. Sometimes we make lots of miles, sometimes we stay put if we like it. I am not surprised that the manufacturers in the USA do not recommend applying the product as heavily, they will sell more paint if you put on 2 coats every year, and the yards do well too. See, we don't like to haul, Gilana is steel and heavy and draws 8'6" so we are a bit limited there. We also really worry about haulout as we don't believe in insurance, the second biggest scam in history. SO....We decided to try the many coats route once, and it was a success. So now that is what we do, our anodes can be changed by diving, we do not have thru-hulls so no maintenance there. I thought that some members might benefit from a bit of lateral thinking, and escape the hold of the paint manufacturers driving our consumption of their products. We might be a bit maverick, thinking up our own solutions, but we are results driven. All of our haulouts, by the way, have been meticulously recorded on our web page. (except the last one because our dog died that week and we did not feel like taking photos)
The EU anti fouling paint regulations are much tighter than some other countries, and it goes further, in that toxic paint is not allowed even to be manufactured there for export to 3rd world countries. I know for a fact that some of the real "good" stuff containing "bad" things that you can get in 3rd world countries is manufactured in the USA, but not for sale there. (At least until Katrina flattened the factory) We do not use Tin or Copper based paint because we love the sea, and our boat is zinc coated steel and the copper would just suck that right off...
On another note, I am really keen to hear if anyone has tried Sigmaglide anti fouling. Completely non toxic, and 15 year limited guarantee.
Its a 2 x 2 part system, teflon and silicone apparently....gives your boat big titties and a slippery bottom. (google it)

We therefore paid for our last haulout 1000 euros of paint, 1005 euros for the in out and hard, divided by 6 years comes to 334 Euros a year, all inclusive. I hope this answer helps the person who asked....
Old 19-02-2012, 17:24   #36

svgiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:36   #37
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svgiacomo View Post
You've been here almost 4 years and this is the sum total of your contribution to the site?
Old 19-02-2012, 20:17   #38

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Around here the best price is 40 dollars per foot.

That includes everything from haul out to splash with all labor and materials included.

Next step for me is to find out what paint choices are available.

This is in Bon Secour, AL.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:42   #39

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
You've been here almost 4 years and this is the sum total of your contribution to the site?
Tennessee is home to more lurkers than you might think!

redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 14:52   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Interesting to see the topic evolution on sealife and bottom paint. Washington State will no longer even allow copper based. But I have to hand it to them, the Salmon runs seem to be getting better there. And if I want to dive for great pacific octipi, I know where to go.
Here's a novel thought. If you could put your boat into fresh water most of the time you are not sailing, would your hull stay clean? Mine only grows algae in the Warrenton Marina. Not that this solution works for everyone, but it does for me. If all of us considered the environment before we acted, it could be a better world. Just saying...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:27   #41

Low cost places for bottom painting?
jcbwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:50   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Interesting to see the topic evolution on sealife and bottom paint. Washington State will no longer even allow copper based. But I have to hand it to them, the Salmon runs seem to be getting better there. And if I want to dive for great pacific octipi, I know where to go.
Here's a novel thought. If you could put your boat into fresh water most of the time you are not sailing, would your hull stay clean? Mine only grows algae in the Warrenton Marina. Not that this solution works for everyone, but it does for me. If all of us considered the environment before we acted, it could be a better world. Just saying...

I think it might when I was a kid, I htink in the 60's my Father kept a boat up river in Panacea Fl, water was mostly fresh and very little grew on the hull, but its the back and forth that I think works, by that I mean if say once a month you spent a week in fresh water, then back in salt, I bet not much would grow as I think what grows in fresh, salt will kill and vice versa
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, bottom paint, paint