Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
What's in a Name . . .

We had to decide last week what to name our new boat, and decided on the name Rothschild, after the endagered Giraffe subspecies. We met one of these Giraffes years ago, and that event has special meaning to us.

We sent in the paperwork to the title company that was handling the sale. Last night, we searching the net for Rothschild, we found some rather disturbing associations with that name. I'll leave it to you to do your own search, but it won't be hard.

So now we are faced with the dilemma - to change or not. Do you think these associations are enough that we should consider another name?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:30   #2

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
whatever you can say about the Rothschilds, they got some of the coolest boats on the planet in their fleet. Also the Plastiki expedition was a Rothschild.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53   #3

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
to change or not. Do you think these associations are enough that we should consider another name?
That's a good question. One I've been giving a lot of thought this past week as I'm thinking of changing my username. But, back to you... Personally, I know of no reason the name Rothschild would bother me if I saw it on a boat. I'd probably assume it was your last name. Or maybe a tongue in cheek commentary on having a yacht? I admit I haven't done any serious research. I only glanced at the google results. Sure, it looks like the Rothschild family tree may have had some rotten apples (possibly really rotten). I apologize if I missed a huge scandal. But, that's my point. If it's not common knowledge then why assume everyone would know and associate your boat with that?

Another question would be Do you feel like you'll have to explain the name all the time? Or just occasionally. Would that bother you? Would you feel like people are looking at you funny or associating you with the bad Rothschild? Now that you know of a negative association, can you get it out of your head? Perhaps if you add a picture of the giraffe on the stern it'll make a difference?

Once I actually made an effort to change my username and tried to find a new one, I actually felt better about the old one. Nothing changed except my perception of it. Sure there are negative ways of looking at it, but that's not how I see it and I'm no longer too concerned about how other people see it.

How do YOU feel about the name Rothschild? That's really what you need to ask yourself.
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:06   #4

You could always include an image of a giraffe as part of your boat name.

Might alleviate any negative karma.

Our boat is named "Ship O' Fools" and we are affectionately known as the fools, you could be called the giraffes . . .

Cheers
Old 07-09-2010, 07:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
We spent a good hour looking at Giraffe clip art last night, for this very reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
You could always include an image of a giraffe as part of your boat name.

Might alleviate any negative karma.

Our boat is named "Ship O' Fools" and we are affectionately known as the fools, you could be called the giraffes . . .

Cheers
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
We spent a good hour looking at Giraffe clip art last night, for this very reason...
Still trying to find the clipart to use for "fools" :-)
Old 07-09-2010, 07:46   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
To be brutally honest here (hopefully not too brutal ), almost nobody is going to think of a giraffe first when they hear the name Rothschild. Were it my boat I would not go with that name.

Perhaps pick an endangered marine specie with an image of it on your transom?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:01   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Boat names need a few simple tests to pass. The too cute test is first. Small dignhy boats tyipcally have very cute names as do yachts over 90 feet. Being too cute is not an advantage for those in the middle.

It has to pass the VHF test saying it three times fast should not be a public embrassment, an insult in any language, or tounge twister. It should be easy to spell it tlike it sounds after hearing it once. Any special meaning it has to you is your own and totally acceptable. Others will go with it as it sounds and jump to the obvious conclusions.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:07   #9

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
`Lady' ages gracefully - Baltimore Sun

I think that giraffe's name we met back in 1992 or 1993 could have been 'Gretchen' ;0)
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:27   #10

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Boat names need a few simple tests to pass. The too cute test is first. Small dignhy boats tyipcally have very cute names as do yachts over 90 feet. Being too cute is not an advantage for those in the middle.

It has to pass the VHF test saying it three times fast should not be a public embrassment, an insult in any language, or tounge twister. It should be easy to spell it tlike it sounds after hearing it once. Any special meaning it has to you is your own and totally acceptable. Others will go with it as it sounds and jump to the obvious conclusions.
Yes! This is why our boat is Ceol Mor, not the husband's prefered name of Piobaireachd! In case of emergency we'd be sunk before I got out the second syllable.

Honestly, Rothschild does not conjure up images of giraffes for me. Why not just name the boat Giraffe or some adjective w/ Giraffe. I doubt you would run across many other boats named Giraffe.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:38   #11

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
Mimsy - I thought you would have a boat named Borogroves -or Brillig - or even Slithy Toves! I'm a bit disappointed it's merely Welsh (which is nearly as incomprehensible as Lear).
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:38   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
In passing the VHF test, it's also helpful if the name is spelled like it sounds. Nobody is going to misunderstand the name Giraffe. If they misspell it then that's their problem.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:40   #13

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Rou! Not Welsh, you will make my Scottish husband cry. I like to call him English though. it amuses me. (our last name is Carroll- kudos for you for getting the inside joke)

I like Giraffe as a name. I like it heaps.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:43   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
the proper subspecies name is rothschildi.

it should always be italicized and lower case, if you want to connote ssp. For me, "Rothschild" and "rothshildi' represent a world of difference.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:59   #15

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
fool clipart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
Still trying to find the clipart to use for "fools" :-)
How about

or better yet...