Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 12:15   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: What's happened to Bavaria?

I don't know what anyone could want more then our new to us boat has aboard ! It was bilt in 1984! Huge water and fuel tanks, washer/dryer, water maker, genny, air and heat ECT and hand holds every where !! HDTV LOL it's a home that SAILS Well offshore and will go where ya want when ya want ! Ive looked at and sailed some of these new water condos ! and for the money I would paid more for what we just bought then for any of those Condos ! but we Live aboard, and go places ! Give me a Solid sailing boat that will be comfortable at Sea !! But I guess Im just to Old to understand why a party at the dock is more important then sailing in comfort ?? O well
Old 28-08-2012, 12:33   #32

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
I don't know what anyone could want more then our new to us boat has aboard ! It was bilt in 1984! Huge water and fuel tanks, washer/dryer, water maker, genny, air and heat ECT and hand holds every where !! HDTV LOL it's a home that SAILS Well offshore and will go where ya want when ya want ! Ive looked at and sailed some of these new water condos ! and for the money I would paid more for what we just bought then for any of those Condos ! but we Live aboard, and go places ! Give me a Solid sailing boat that will be comfortable at Sea !! But I guess Im just to Old to understand why a party at the dock is more important then sailing in comfort ?? O well
You have a washer dryer, AC and HDTV, but think someone else's boat qualifies as a condo?!
Old 28-08-2012, 13:06   #33

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Most of these boats, Bavaria, Jeanneau, Beneteau, Dufour are lightweight crusers built for the charter market. In the South Pacific a lot of them don't stand up well to passages. Stories of bulkheads coming adrift, Furniture moving, water tanks moving, hulls flexing, etc are common. Makes me think they are not bluewater cruisers just party boats.
Still if party is what you want and safety at sea is not paramount, go for it !
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 13:12   #34

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The difference is My Condo will go to sea ANYWHERE ! ANYTIME ! Its a sea boat thats set up to live aboard at SEA ! not at a dock or on a mooring ! just saying theres a BIG difference! If ya don't know the difference I can't help ya to ! you just have to take a look at a bavaria and maybe you will start to see what Im talking about !
Old 28-08-2012, 13:58   #35

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: What's Happened To Bavaria?

If we all liked the same boat there'd only be one manufacturer. It's a bit silly disparaging others because they prefer a boat different from yours or their budget doesn't allow for a big, new boat that's built to your liking but their boat is theirs and I'm sure most like the boat they've got. To each his own. After all we're all sailors aren't we? Which boat you own only means something to you, most folks don't think about it too much. Maybe the owner of the Maltese Falcon thinks we're all little idiots. And he might be right.
Old 28-08-2012, 14:05   #36

Boat: Sailing Club and Charter Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
The difference is My Condo will go to sea ANYWHERE ! ANYTIME ! Its a sea boat thats set up to live aboard at SEA ! not at a dock or on a mooring ! just saying theres a BIG difference! If ya don't know the difference I can't help ya to ! you just have to take a look at a bavaria and maybe you will start to see what Im talking about !
Care to be a little more specific about your boat? What is it?
BWB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 14:15   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359
Most of these boats, Bavaria, Jeanneau, Beneteau, Dufour are lightweight crusers built for the charter market. In the South Pacific a lot of them don't stand up well to passages. Stories of bulkheads coming adrift, Furniture moving, water tanks moving, hulls flexing, etc are common. Makes me think they are not bluewater cruisers just party boats.
Still if party is what you want and safety at sea is not paramount, go for it !
Complete horses ass.

Dave
Old 28-08-2012, 15:01   #38

WOW, Bavaria must have changed as when I last looked at them, 8 years ago, nearly every one in the line up that we saw at the boat show had a hard time matching the wood inside. I mean, literally, the railing inside and the trim when it stopped at one piece, the next adjacent piece was a shade or 2 different, even though you knew it was supposed to be a continuous trim around the saloon, or even the cabinets.. I was totally turned off by the cheap craftmanship (if you can call it that) that I never looked at them again..

For them to get that kind of praise, I have to assume that they either got their act together or put all of their money into PR and not their product.. Who knows.. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 17:13   #39

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If we all liked the same boat there'd only be one manufacturer. It's a bit silly disparaging others because they prefer a boat different from yours or their budget doesn't allow for a big, new boat that's built to your liking but their boat is theirs and I'm sure most like the boat they've got. To each his own. After all we're all sailors aren't we? Which boat you own only means something to you, most folks don't think about it too much. Maybe the owner of the Maltese Falcon thinks we're all little idiots. And he might be right.

Finally, a voice of reason. Well put Vasco. A man or women's boat is an extension of their wants, needs, desires and finances. The world is a better place for all when you can if needed restore a good boat to an excellent cruiser or when you can afford a new boat with all the latest bells and whistles. I look at the new boat that someone has purchased or had built as an exercise in their dreams that will eventually be passed on to some in the future...
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria