Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 11:56   #31
kai

Well ive been really thinking about this hard for the past couple of days. The pearson triton really has caught my interest with its offshore sailing potential and its lines. after triton318 suggested this boat i started researching it and it seems like the boat is very safe, very forgiveable, very seaworthy, very simple to sail. ive found a pearson triton in my area that hasnt been in the water in three years, he says the hull and deck is solid and the boat is in good sailing condition right now. He wants 6k but says that its negotiable. hoping i could get it around 4k...idk if thats unreasonable.

the good:
brand new head and main sails (also has old head, main, and spiniker)
brand new windvane(never used, prof installed)
brand new roller furler
the bad:
interior needs work
floor needs to be redone
needs cusions

i dont mind the interior work, i acutally would like to redo the interior to make it nice and customize for myself. Im assuming that the new floor would be just a little harder than installing wood floors in a house, just a little costly with the price of teak and time consuming. Also with it only being a 28' boat that i could bang out the interior in about 4 solid weekends with some week nights thrown in. this is with the help of my father and also haveing someone else make the cusions.

im just looking for some input. what do you think of the boat? the price? how much work is it? should i get a marine survey? any other comments, advice, ect... would be appreciated.
-kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 13:06   #32

It's probably worth about what he's asking because it's at least potentially a nice boat - offering 4K is OK. But, with this vintage it's all about condition. And, condition is much more important than design if you plan on sailing any time soon. A good condition Catalina might be pretty much ready to go; a "needs work" Downeaster might never be ready to go unless you put lots of time and $ into it. Also, being out of the water for 3 years is generally not good for a boat. For example, what kind of engine does it have and how can you test it if the boat is out of the water? This is not a trivial question for a cruising boat.

All boats need more work than you initially think. While it may seem like an extravagant expense, I recommend a survey by a well qualified professional who can tell you exactly what this boat needs and potentially save you thousands of dollars if it turns out to need too much.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 16:27   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I think you're onto something kai. Another avenue is to ask Marina's within 200 miles of you if they auction off boats where the owners have disappeared for one reason or another. My neighbour here in Ca., where I am readying my boat, just bought a Catalina 27 for a bid of $257!!! He cleaned it, replaced a battery and got the engine running...all inside of a week. He has re-listed it on the local craigslist for $6,500 and he gets a call at least once a day. Just a thought.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 19:10   #34
kai

ok here is an update. it doesnt look like this is going to happen the way i first planned. which is fine. im just rolling with the punches. i got this plan past my mother but my father shut me down (on many attempts haha). so im gunna have to wait till im on my own to beable to do this. i like to set goals. so im planning to work for a couple of years after college, save lots of money, buy a blue water boat in a year or so, learn more on the boat, get everything working great, sail around the carribean and beyond for a year or so. Happy Fathers day to all of the fathers out there.
-kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 19:59   #35

Boat: Dufour Arpege 30
I've been to the Bahamas in my Macgregor 26X. You can find the older Mac 25's for about $6,000 or an older 26X for $14,000. We took 28 boats to the Bahamas in 2003. Conch Cruisers Sailing Club

Bermuda is expensive and not near as many nice places to sail. I would definitely recommend the Bahamas
Zephyr's Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 19:23   #36

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
Kai, 30 yrs ago When I was in Wollongong Aust. I met some swedes who were doing a round world trip in a 30ft timber Tahitian ketch, slow but sure but they made it home ok. so big is not a prerequisite for safety and it is so much better for the budget. There must have been hundreds built ,I do not know what $ they bring. Your funds I believe would be more than adequate. wish you well whatever you buy.natureboy
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 19:31   #37

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
Kai, Sounds like you may be onto a good thing! You can hook up a hose to the inlet to run the motor, not too much pressure or you'll flood it, the floors are not usually all teak, probably ply with teak overlay on top, not hard to replace, Is it a glass hull?
You'll earn a lot with it. natureboy
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 17:29   #38

If you've spent that much time in lasers you're fine. Every dinghy sailor I know kicks ass on big boats.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 17:51   #39

Boat: Cal 25 - Dalliance
It's not about how much you have to spend on a boat or how big the boat is, it's about your mindset and what you're comfortable single handing, if that's what you want to do. My Cal 25 was FREE (+$150 to have it towed 8 miles up the Chesapeake) and by the time I have her refitted she will have cost me less than $7000. This model has circumnavigated many times.

And yes, racing dinghy sailors do well on big boats. Mostly because we're used to more to do. On a straight main/genoa sailplan big boat I don't know what to do with all my free time. "Where are the barbers? And the centerboard adjustment? You cleat your mainsheet? Tiller tamer... what's that? I'll be reading on the foredeck, call if you need me..."
Old 22-09-2008, 19:36   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
If you've spent that much time in lasers you're fine. Every dinghy sailor I know kicks ass on big boats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
And yes, racing dinghy sailors do well on big boats. Mostly because we're used to more to do. On a straight main/genoa sailplan big boat I don't know what to do with all my free time.
They do great until it's time to put the big boat away. Then they head for the beach and wonder why they hit the bottom before the bow hits the sand - LOL....
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote