Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 16:18   #61

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: What To Do When There's Only Zephyrs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You need to read more carefully. My post compared sailing your "Bristol 27" to sailing a "Formosa 51" back into a harbor in "light winds." I don't own a Formosa or a full keel boat.

Yes, I am the guy who occasionally sails my boat back into port and up to the dock without an engine, have done it several times successfully without problems, but only when the engine has let us down.
Lucky for you, you have crew. Try it singlehanded.

You also need to read more carefully.

I pointed out that I had paid my Zephyr dues when racing Beach Cats during multiple 30-100 mile distance races when the wind died

Today I use my engine whenever the wind gets below 3-5 knots and especially if the tide is against me

As far as whether I'm sailing a Bristol 27 or a Formosa 51, samie same. I'd bring either of those boats in without a problem but I wouldn't try to put either in a slip as a singlehander because it simply isn't worth the risk.

And if you want to talk sailing, try holding a beach cat still 10' from the starting line in 18 knots winds for as long as a minute and a half surrounded by 20 other boats without fouling or going OCS which would ruin the race for you.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 16:43   #62

Boat: Tartan 37

I think people who use to raced have boats that sail better and the patience to deal with light air. I would and do sail in light air with a engine and working, but I have light air sails, folding prop and a sprayed on bottom. If the boat doesn't like light air, but the dingy on the hip and motor, my 8 hp at half throttle will make 3.75 kts. I also carry a emergency adjustable v-belt, could install that, SW pump requires very little tension. Could use a rope in emergency, or saltwater pump
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 16:50   #63

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I just thought of a fifth option. I don't know if it would work but if you have a snatch block you could possibly put tension on the Belt, enough to drive your water pump.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 22:51   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Lucky for you, you have crew. Try it singlehanded.

You also need to read more carefully.

I pointed out that I had paid my Zephyr dues when racing Beach Cats during multiple 30-100 mile distance races when the wind died

Today I use my engine whenever the wind gets below 3-5 knots and especially if the tide is against me

As far as whether I'm sailing a Bristol 27 or a Formosa 51, samie same. I'd bring either of those boats in without a problem but I wouldn't try to put either in a slip as a singlehander because it simply isn't worth the risk.

And if you want to talk sailing, try holding a beach cat still 10' from the starting line in 18 knots winds for as long as a minute and a half surrounded by 20 other boats without fouling or going OCS which would ruin the race for you.
I don't have crew, where did you get that idea? 50% of the time I sail alone, the other 50% with just my wife.

Please work on your reading skills.

BTW: We've sailed into slips many times, it's not that difficult. 'Used to sail our Hunter 450 back into our slip in Long Beach all the time on just the high freeboard.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:04   #65

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
I don't have crew, where did you get that idea? 50% of the time I sail alone, the other 50% with just my wife.

BTW: We've sailed into slips many times, it's not that difficult. 'Used to sail our Hunter 450 back into our slip in Long Beach all the time on just the high freeboard.
Unless your wife does nothing, your boat has two crew, you and her.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:11   #66
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

My worst nightmare would be stuck in Zephyrs with you guys bickering!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:28   #67

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post

On the other hand, when cruising in the Caribbean, we have a firm rule of being at anchor in our next destination by 3:00 pm. If that requires turning on the engine, so be it.
As a beginner, and only sailing in the Caribbean, I'm curious why. We really enjoy sailing through the night to get to out destination.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:31   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Some bitter folks (predominantly single men) love to bicker, I much prefer to sip beer and Sangria here in paradise and enjoy the entertainment.

Heading to Florence tomorrow.

Ciao
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1052.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	147339  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:30   #69

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I enjoy working on my reading skills.

With your sailing skills, that must have been a pretty easy slip to get into, and since you had crew, that makes it quite easy also.

Try it with a 20 knot wind on your stern as you go down the dock line of boats and see how that works for you

There are so many variables it's almost ridiculous to argue with folks in different areas
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:51   #70

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I really did LOL
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 20:11   #71

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
The other method to use, especially if there's little wind, but bouncy seas. Is to hoist a #3 or Windseeker jib, along with the main, & sheet them in board flat. This then allows the boat's rocking motion to create enough induced apparent wind to move you along at 1-2kts, even with the seas. This can also stop slatting.

Also, in either circumstance & sail combo, you want to move as much weight as you can as far to leeward as you can. As well as getting as much of the boat's transom (ass) out of the water as is possible, by similar methods. Such trim makes a large difference in how well you'll be able to sail or not in virtually nill breeze. We joked about this,
but both crew were needed in the cockpit. Sure used to do it where there was crew to be portable ballast.

The other thing is that you'll need to foot a lot more than usual if you're sailing upwind, as otherwise you'll just make loads of leeway, thus killing your VMG overall. And really, really pay attention to the tides & currents. I've made up 1/2 day to faster boats, in 2 hours time, by playing the tides & currents around a a harbor entrance. Absolutely necessary to foot off, especially with the current swirlies we had to get around.
--UNCIVILIZED__________________

So, for the newbies, it is easy to see that the "turn the key" option is not the only one. That's really what I was on about.

Ann
Old 11-05-2017, 05:40   #72

Boat: a sailing boat

We too use a windseeker. In our case this implies the smallest jib ;-( (which is too heavy).

I am going to order a special light dacron sail for this. I am considering a 100 or 90% stormlite 210 (3.38Oz) sail.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 17:53   #73

Boat: McIntosh 47

We have sailed backwards in our San Juan 21 on the mighty Mississippi in low wind even though SAD is 21. I think we just solved that problem. Pulled a Corsair F28 trimaran home to Iowa from Florida. SAD of 41.1. Aught to work! Another purist goes to the dark side of multihull. Maiden sail is this weekend. We may never be the same. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 22:05   #74

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hi Ann, here is what I do when there is no wind and no engine. Rather than waste time on CF, I go looking for Zephyrs.

Here are some I found. I like them, they are nice

Hi there Wotname, nice cars! Does ford have a factory in OZ or are they imports from the old sod?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote