Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 00:27   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: What To Do When There's Only Zephyrs?

I have spent MANY hours in the Lake District in Cumbria UK sailing with no breeze. The Air Force used to run their jets between the mountains on Coniston Lake and Id sit their waiting for a pass at 600 foot to use the disturbed air...

If a person has time, light air or in reality, little air sailing is relaxing as long as some forward motion is detected.

In reality, most folk have some sort of time constraint and its a pain in the patouche. For big boats, once inertia is overcome, its down to the hull and sail configuration to keep it moving...

There is nothing as nice as messing about in boats. For me being on the water is enjoyable for its own sake.... getting to the destination however is a necessity also.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 00:38   #32

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.

I don't have a problem with being at sea with no to little wind. I can usually get some momentum with jiggling of sails ( yes I'm one of those who sailed and raced dinghies). The only time it gets tricky is if you have a current pushing you towards rocks/ reef / sandbank/ kelp/ (insert nemesis here). At this point anchors, fenders, drogues may be required but I can see how motoring away from the problem is easier, or rowing and towing. There are many ways to skin this cat.
indiana_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:13   #33

Boat: Bristol 29

On my old Graymarine, there is an arm that holds the alternator up. That broke for me in a NW blow in Block Island New Harbor, where the channel runs NW-SE. Stuck for two days until the wind shifted!
CaptainGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:06   #34

Boat: Island Packet 40

Bit off topic but.

Since one uses very little amp hours in cranking an easily started diesel and once a diesel (all those pre common rail) is started it does not require electrical power the lack of an alternator should generally not prevent one from starting the engine a number of times before the battery gets too low a voltage to crank. It's even better if the engine has valve lifters and can be spun up and started on one cylinders.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:18   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Bit off topic but.

Since one uses very little amp hours in cranking an easily started diesel and once a diesel (all those pre common rail) is started it does not require electrical power the lack of an alternator should generally not prevent one from starting the engine a number of times before the battery gets too low a voltage to crank. It's even better if the engine has valve lifters and can be spun up and started on one cylinders.
While this is true, it does not apply to the OP's situation. The problem they had had a broken alternator mount which prevented the use of the alternator and water pump as they shared the same belt.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 14:02   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We cruised in a Westsail 32, a boat with an SADR considerably less than 20 so not noted for its light air performance. In more than 2 years of cruising hardly ever used the engine for other than battery charging. We went through the doldrums twice, did use the engine on one of those passages because of the miserable condtions. No wind, 90 degrees plus temps, 90% plus humidity, water temp almost as warm and a 10' plus swell rolling up from the southern ocean. Nearly impossible to sail with the almost non existent winds with the rolling and slatting. Stuck it out for 24 hours before finally turning on the engine and running for 24 hours before we found wind.

The rest of the time we sailed. Had one 12nm day and a number under 50 but we were alway moving. The key was a light air headsail and a storm trysail. Hoisted the storm trysail as a stabilizer and the biggish 2oz reacher drifter would provide enough drive to give us 1-2 knots. Recently moved a new to me Sabre 28 from Richmond to Alameda in SF Bay. The typically fickle winter winds and extremely strong ebb tide from all the rain turned a 2-3 hour sail into a 14 hour ordeal when the engine died along with the wind. It was a delivery so would have powered the whole way but was forced to rely on sail. Boat did sail quite well in the light air but the tide was so strong nearly ended up getting swept out the Gate. Finally threw in the towel about a mile from the new slip when the wind died completely. Without a dinghy had no hope of getting the boat into the slip without the motor so called for a tow. Went out the next day and bought an inflatable so I wouldn't be embarassed again. Have towed a 13,000# displacement boat in no wind condition with my trusty Avon Redcrest and oars. A good anchor and a dinghy that you can row will get you home if there is very light winds.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 14:35   #37

If you want to sail in zephrs then choose and buy a sail that will. Even a WS32 will move with a huge spinnaker... and big enough cajones! But most cruisers don't want that work.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 14:52   #38

Boat: Bristol 27

Racing a 100 mile distance race with a boat (Beach Cat) without an engine can be really frustrating when the wind dies around twilight and you still have 40 miles to go.........

You just have to stay with it and then you discover some pretty cool stuff.

I remember watching the stars while my son took his turn driving.

Watching other boats ghosting along at 12 midnight in the ICW was pretty cool also. (none of us had lights on. just flashlights and light sticks))

Dodging barges was interesting with zero wind at 11pm

Hearing bands and conversation from bars along the race course near Navarre, FL was cool

Flying a hull at 1 am and trying to see channel markers ...........

Finishing at 3 am and going to Waffle House after a shower...........

These thing are all unforgettable.......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 15:31   #39

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Because, the mount for our alternator broke, thus no charging and no water pump.
Interesting, motoring in no wind in the Pamlico Sound in North Carolina years ago, we had our alternator adjustment arm break in half. We had a 70 year old mechanical engineer aboard who had worked his whole career in a paper mill. From the onboard fasteners stash came a couple of bolts, nuts, and fender washers. From the tool box came two pairs of vise grip pliers. In ten minutes the broken parts were clamped together, the belt was almost tight, and we were underway again. The next day in Ocracoke in the parking lot of a liquor store, I petted a friendly dog through the driver's window of an unoccupied pickup truck. The truck owner coming out of the store said, "Can I help you?" It told him my alternator mount problem. He said, "I have a welder". A couple of hours later, everything was fixed, and I had to force him to take $20. Weeks later I replaced the adjustment arm, and I still carry the welded one as a spare.

Years and years before while I was in school at NC State, the generator pulley on my English Ford Cortina fell to pieces. A pair of panty hose tied in a circle over the crank and the water pump pulleys got us home.

All that said, I need a light sail.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 15:46   #40

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I have spent MANY hours in the Lake District in Cumbria UK sailing with no breeze. The Air Force used to run their jets between the mountains on Coniston Lake and Id sit their waiting for a pass at 600 foot to use the disturbed air...
We lived in Cockermouth from January of 1990 to March of 1992 (Gulf War No. 1). The RAF Tornados with their ground avoidance radar flying in the Fells broke windows in town. I've seen them flying below All Saint's Church's spire.
And, their simulated supersonic bombing runs on the rail tracks in Silloth where our plant was located were quite impressive. Oh, to be 20 years old with a 1500 mph beast to fly. Just you and your mate and an afternoon to play.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 15:57   #41

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Racing a 100 mile distance race with a boat (Beach Cat) without an engine can be really frustrating when the wind dies around twilight and you still have 40 miles to go.........

You just have to stay with it and then you discover some pretty cool stuff.

I remember watching the stars while my son took his turn driving.

Watching other boats ghosting along at 12 midnight in the ICW was pretty cool also. (none of us had lights on. just flashlights and light sticks))

Dodging barges was interesting with zero wind at 11pm

Hearing bands and conversation from bars along the race course near Navarre, FL was cool

Flying a hull at 1 am and trying to see channel markers ...........

Finishing at 3 am and going to Waffle House after a shower...........

These thing are all unforgettable.......

Ahhh - as were the First and Second "Around the Island" Races. Many memories - thanks for the reminder. Hobie Fleet 178 (16 & 18 81-83) Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 17:07   #42

Boat: 44 footer

I may have to add an adjustable link belt to the kit just for that...

Make one up to bypass the alternator.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 22:04   #43

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

the obvious answer is use your dinghy, hiptow Your Vessel, that is : secure it to your quarter. I've cruised with my 12 ton vessel at 4 knots with 8 horsepower on my dinghy. The second option is to use pantyhose if you have them, tie it around engine pulley and your water pump pulley. don't use too many RPMs. Edit you said you used your dinghy to straighten out the chain so I assume you have an outboard on it.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 23:22   #44
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
the obvious answer is use your dinghy, hiptow Your Vessel, that is : secure it to your quarter. I've cruised with my 12 ton vessel at 4 knots with 8 horsepower on my dinghy. The second option is to use pantyhose if you have them, tie it around engine pulley and your water pump pulley. don't use too many RPMs. Edit you said you used your dinghy to straighten out the chain so I assume you have an outboard on it.
And if no outboard, the third option is to kedge.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:13   #45

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post
Ahhh - as were the First and Second "Around the Island" Races. Many memories - thanks for the reminder. Hobie Fleet 178 (16 & 18 81-83) Cheers - Jim
Nice.

Those were probably good years

For us/me it was Nacra 6.0 (2 up) & Nacra F-17 w/Spinnaker (Singlehanded) 97, 98, 02, and 04.

Now days they stop at Ft Pickens after coming back in Pensacola Pass from the Gulf for the night and finish the ICW Section the following day.

Could be because everyone has gotten a bit up in years...............
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote