Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2013, 20:16   #16
cruiser

Re: What to do First?

Regarding your proposed watermaker: Our friend who's a liveaboard on a Lagoon cat installed a 75 gph unit, because he and his wife enjoy long showers and he washes the boat down everyday. On our boat we have a 17 gph along with a 200 gallon water tank which provides ample water for the two of us. The tank usually remains topped off with our usage being around 10 gallons per day for me and 20 gallons for my wife. The Spectra watermake runs two hours per day, but uses surprisingly very few amps.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 21:17   #17

Boat: Vancouver 27

If/when you decide to get a windvane, take a look at the Norvane. Good quality and rugged, but about half the price of Monitor and lighter. Good option for small boats.

I'm in the process of refitting as well and agree with what others say about not getting carried away!!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 21:46   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
If/when you decide to get a windvane, take a look at the Norvane. Good quality and rugged, but about half the price of Monitor and lighter. Good option for small boats.

I'm in the process of refitting as well and agree with what others say about not getting carried away!!
I am looking at the Norvane as well. Looks like a good vane, well built and engineered at a very good price.
mitiempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 22:55   #19

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31
What to do First?

Wow love that norvane price, wonder if it works with a swim ladder, monitor sold a mount that could be swung for swim ladder use
Old 29-12-2013, 23:12   #20

Out of all the things listed as wanted in your original post, the only thing critical to crossing an ocean is the windvane. The rest of it is nice, but if your boats engine and original charging system is well maintained, it is plenty. Electric autopilots are nice for coastal cruising, but suck way too much electrons for a long passage in a small boat. I agree completely with the comments about get it ready for coastal cruising first, since the more time spent away from the dock will be educational. One of the things that I have recommended a number of times on CF is to go out and anchor for a weekend and turn the battery switch off. That will tell you what you need for simple backups for when you have a complete electrical failure. You still need to be able to cook, get water from your tanks(foot pump), use the head (no electric head) and be able to have enough light down below to function (kerosene lamps). If you have a propane stove with the electrical cutoff, do you have the parts and tools to bypass the cutoff if needed? Back to the windvane, vanes are expensive, but come up on Ebay and craigslist often. Most will work with enough practice, but on a boat your size weight is important. I recently looked up the weight difference between an Aries(which I love) and a Monitor(which I have never used), and the monitor is almost 25lbs lighter. That makes a big difference on a boat your size. Good Luck with your plans. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 23:25   #21

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Out of all the things listed as wanted in your original post, the only thing critical to crossing an ocean is the windvane. The rest of it is nice, but if your boats engine and original charging system is well maintained, it is plenty. Electric autopilots are nice for coastal cruising, but suck way too much electrons for a long passage in a small boat. I agree completely with the comments about get it ready for coastal cruising first, since the more time spent away from the dock will be educational. One of the things that I have recommended a number of times on CF is to go out and anchor for a weekend and turn the battery switch off. That will tell you what you need for simple backups for when you have a complete electrical failure. You still need to be able to cook, get water from your tanks(foot pump), use the head (no electric head) and be able to have enough light down below to function (kerosene lamps). If you have a propane stove with the electrical cutoff, do you have the parts and tools to bypass the cutoff if needed? Back to the windvane, vanes are expensive, but come up on Ebay and craigslist often. Most will work with enough practice, but on a boat your size weight is important. I recently looked up the weight difference between an Aries(which I love) and a Monitor(which I have never used), and the monitor is almost 25lbs lighter. That makes a big difference on a boat your size. Good Luck with your plans. _____Grant.
One of the nice things about my boat is all the water is foot pump (except for shower and sprayer in the galley). The Head is also a pump. Stove is propane, not sure if it has an electrical cutoff, I don't believe it does. As far as lighting, I do have a solar/battery powered lamp that gives off plenty of light that I will most likely be using most of the time instead of cabin lights, and also have a oil lamp.

Appreciate everyone's advice, it is much welcome and am open to any and all suggestions. Also already have a bimini and dodger, so good to go there.
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 23:37   #22

Bimini and dodger are a big, big plus. I have the skin cancer to prove that I should have had them sooner. If you have an electric solinoid for your stove, you could also consider a single burner seaswing(kerosene) stove as your backup in case of electrical failure or just plain ran out of propane. When you are really exhausted, a hot meal can make the difference between function and disfunction. Good Cruising to you. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 23:43   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreastern View Post
Something that cannot be repeated enough and has been repeated on this post is to find a way to take the time to feel out what you really need. We are just beginning our refit for live aboard cruising but having cruised on our boat for many years we know what we need for anchoring, communication, sail handling and power usage to name a few. This forum is way above average for information and advice from my experience here but we all have our own needs, wants and budgets. In my opinion finding those on your own boat is priceless. Get a feel for what will make you and your crew happy on the boat you all will cruise on and much time, money and sanity will be saved.
^^^^
This is such good advice that I won't add a word!
Old 30-12-2013, 04:17   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I would add that modern well installed and specified electric AP can be more then adaquately powered by solar panels and some engine running and will happily cross oceans, 1000s can't be wrong and wind wave usage has declined remarkably in recent years as yachts and even smaller yachts can easily generate more power

Dave