Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 13:02   #16

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: What Sailboat for Atlantic crossing with family?

My 2 cents... As for length, I'd stick to the high end of your range. The longer your boat, the faster it is and generally more comfortable and more space. I cruised with a family of 4 on a Tartan 41 and it was fairly small, especially compared to the other cruising families. Remember that you will be at anchor, so storage cost for length is less of a concern. I would buy the boat as soon as possible and sail it locally/coastal for a year to get acquainted with the systems and any quirks. That also gives you time to do upgrades. If you are handy, you will have a much lager pool of boats to buy from if you can install your own systems like a water-maker, solar panels, etc. And buy under your $100k so you have money for upgrades. the production boats (Bene, hanse, etc.) are okay for world cruising but not as robust and not usually set up for living on as a builder of true Water boats">blue water boats. However, There are many who have upgraded them and do just fine... I would list the attributes (watermaker, 500W or more of solar or a generator, davits, bimini, dodger, full enclosure?, cenet cockpit, Wind vane pilot?, electonic auto pilot, 2 bow rollers?, windlass?, all chain anchor rhode, macerator, wash down pump?, etc, etc.) you want and go shopping. You may find that there are few boats that actually have what you want.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 19:03   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

gee....i wish the budget was a little higher, say couple of millions. i would strongly recommend a HR50.
Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 09:22   #18

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

At the hi end of your budget, but very stout boat here .https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...ckpit-6570516/
(with my obvious bias in full display)...
Couldnt agree more with insuring you have $$ set aside for upgrades/repair/replace on key systems (eg rigging, sails, safety, electronics).
Not certain where you are located but she is in Morocco....happy hunting.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 23:46   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Maxing out your budget on a old boat is a recipe for running out of money. It doesn’t matter if it’s a moody HR or a benny, old boats will need lots of stuff to be replaced.

Make sure you have at least 25% of your purchase budget retained for upgrades.
Old 21-10-2021, 04:48   #20

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

A friend of mine just told me his is willing to part with his GulfStar 50 ketch, if someone threw him an offer of $30K. New, hardly used sails. The only issue is that the engine has a blown head gasket, but for $28K you can have a new Beta 50 installed, give or take on that cost. Bigger than what you are looking for, but you can find deals here and there...
Old 25-10-2021, 06:37   #21

Boat: Endeavour 40

My bluewater boat, Endeavour 40, a Bob Johnson design is center cockpit, heavy displacement and sails beautifully even in light air. I also love that it has 2 heads! I retrofit one as manual flush and the other is electric with Macerator pump as it flushes. Obviously macerator pump at bottom of bowl before it goes to holding tank is more robust and the manual flush is a good back up in case of power loss. I also repowered with Beta Marine engine--so much quieter than the original Perkins. An Endeavour will fit your budget but I would have a good amount of $ (i.e., think of investing the purchase price again) for retrofits of various systems if you buy a 30 year old boat.
MegM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 08:57   #22
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Just for info:

GibSea 36 - 1997 - 2 cabins - simple specs (NEVER prepared for any trans Atl or sinilar) - private - located in Croatia.

45kE.

PM only.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 09:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
My 2 cents... As for length, I'd stick to the high end of your range. The longer your boat, the faster it is and generally more comfortable and more space. I cruised with a family of 4 on a Tartan 41 and it was fairly small, especially compared to the other cruising families. Remember that you will be at anchor, so storage cost for length is less of a concern. I would buy the boat as soon as possible and sail it locally/coastal for a year to get acquainted with the systems and any quirks. That also gives you time to do upgrades. If you are handy, you will have a much lager pool of boats to buy from if you can install your own systems like a water-maker, solar panels, etc. And buy under your $100k so you have money for upgrades. the production boats (Bene, hanse, etc.) are okay for world cruising but not as robust and not usually set up for living on as a builder of true blue water boats. However, There are many who have upgraded them and do just fine... I would list the attributes (watermaker, 500W or more of solar or a generator, davits, bimini, dodger, full enclosure?, cenet cockpit, Wind vane pilot?, electonic auto pilot, 2 bow rollers?, windlass?, all chain anchor rhode, macerator, wash down pump?, etc, etc.) you want and go shopping. You may find that there are few boats that actually have what you want.
Sorry to disagree (respectfully). We did 3 years ago a trip around the atlantic with a beneteau oceanis 43 of 6 years old. We had a really fantastic trip, our boat lived up to standards… no problem whatsoever, lots of room and storage. When we hear people talking about blue water boats we have a good laugh. For shure i would not even consider buying a 30 or 40 year old boat: everything is used and you will never stop replacing kit falling apart. We had a retired army general with a 30 year old contest in our harbour. An incredible beautifull ship. He sold it because he became disgusted about all systems to replace after only 2 years… when a ship is used, don’t underestimate the costs of re equipping !!
We are now preparing for a 5 year trip, departing next summer. As a precaution we replaced standing rigging. We also have new sails, sprayhood and bimini. We also to lithium batteries now and doubled our solar to 500 watts. Furthermore we replaced all thru hulls to bronze, placed a watermaker, a second fridge and so on. We are confident that our beneteau will bring us where we want
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 09:09   #24

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffthesailor View Post
Hi,
I am new here! I am planning to buy a sailboat in Europe this winter to eventually sail around the world with my wife and little girl (two years).
I really much like center cockpits.
Length should be between 35-42 feet max.
Comfort and safty are my most important criteria.

I really love Hallberg-Rassy and Najad.
With my budget (around 100K) in the best case I get a 35-40 year old boat.
When I decide for sth. like Bavaria, Jeanneau or Hansa I get a boat from the 2000th.
What would you recommend?
Any other boats in mind?

Thank you so much!

Joff
For safety issues, you can't beat the Amel boats - most of the older ones are ketch rigged with a center cockpit. In addition, Amels tend to have the full safety rails as opposed to the steel cable. I'm thinking your biggest hurdle is going to be your budget. You're really describing a $200,000 boat minimum. Even if you found as good older one in your budget, you could well spend another 100 grand and a year on the refit it would need. In addition, I'd consider the Tayana, Vancouver 42 or a Pacific Seacraft (both well made boats that will take you anywhere you're good enough to go). You might find one of these a bit closer to your budget.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 09:17   #25

[QUOTE=boatman61;3505067]

Like this... :https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...387530016.html
Ward Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 09:33   #26

That’s a very small size for a center cockpit. Any particular reason an aft cockpit isn’t a possibility? You get a larger living space & systems access, and there are a lot more choices.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 09:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtgemini View Post

Second .. boat age means very little... prior to embarking on any major expedition you would be doing a near complete strip down and rebuid on the boat. The only original stuff on our boat is the mast and hull... everything else from rigging, sails, heads, engine, stove, fridges etc etc are renewed.
Ross
This is plain stupid advice, why for heavens sake would you replace stuff on a recent boat if it is perfectly ok. Complete strip and rebuild on a recent boat? Why ???
Old 25-10-2021, 09:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
For safety issues, you can't beat the Amel boats - most of the older ones are ketch rigged with a center cockpit. In addition, Amels tend to have the full safety rails as opposed to the steel cable. I'm thinking your biggest hurdle is going to be your budget. You're really describing a $200,000 boat minimum. Even if you found as good older one in your budget, you could well spend another 100 grand and a year on the refit it would need. In addition, I'd consider the Tayana, Vancouver 42 or a Pacific Seacraft (both well made boats that will take you anywhere you're good enough to go). You might find one of these a bit closer to your budget.
And that is exactly where and why Beneteau, Bavaria, Hanse, … come into consideration
Old 25-10-2021, 10:45   #29

https://www.yachtall.com/de/boot/grand-soleil-40-331348

this is one of the finest European sailing vessels which will take you and your family safely anywhere if properly equipped.
andrewsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 12:31   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Keep most of the money in the bank and buy this. Update stuff as your going along and its needed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2456...vity&ref=notif
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, boat, family, sail, sailboat