Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 19:05   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 40
What other sailboats have THIS layout?

My wife and I are going to be in the market for a liveaboard sailing vessel in 2021—and I'll post in the classifieds then—but for now I wanted to ask about a belowdecks layout we've grown very fond of during our preliminary (online) searches:

Here's what we love about this layout:

-the lengthwise galley opposite the wraparound dinette
-the aft cabins (we actually only require two cabins total; it could be an aft stateroom)
-the two heads, one of which is large enough to have a separate shower compartment
-the spacious forward cabin with V-berth
-the Cuervo Gold, the Fine Colombian, etc.

We've seen this mainly on Jeanneau and Bavaria yachts between 38' and 42', which is the approximate length range we're looking in (and in case it helps, we'll be in the used market for under ~$75k). I'm wondering on what other sailboats is this layout commonly found?

Thanks!
Steely Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 19:17   #2

Re: What other sailboats have THIS layout?

Some beneteau’s also have this layout. It was a charter boat configuration so keep that in mind when looking at them. Likely to have been ridden pretty hard.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 19:18   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Check Beneteau and also Moorings/Sunsail, a lot of charter boats in the Caribbean used this layout. What is the Cuervo gold? lol
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 19:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
What is the Cuervo gold? lol

Isn’t it a song from Steely Dan?

Old 14-10-2020, 19:35   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. If you want to live aboard I suggest you talk to people who have for some time. This is a charter...pack them in...layout. The vee berth forward is ok at anchor, but so far forward the motion at sea...bring a helmet. Big vee berths are a pain to change bedding. Berths that are wide are nice if you’re on your honeymoon but you are at sea.
Check with a boatbuilder about converting the two aft cabins..there may be structural issues.
You might want to sail a traditional non racing offshore yacht or speak with owners about what they think is ideal.
Sea kindly and lightly built are opposites.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his low rider manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 20:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Isn’t it a song from Steely Dan?

Yes, I just created my account on here a day or two ago. Get ready for a lot of Steely Dan references.

And thank you, everyone, for sharing your wisdom.
Old 15-10-2020, 02:25   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you are planning passagemaking, that galley arrangement sucks. A U-shaped one where you can wedge yourself into a corner on either tack is safer and far more comfortable to work in.

Jim
Old 15-10-2020, 02:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you are planning passagemaking, that galley arrangement sucks. A U-shaped one where you can wedge yourself into a corner on either tack is safer and far more comfortable to work in.

Jim
That's the first thing I thought of myself, Jim. I loathe boats with galley layouts like that and would never go to sea in one! Very dangerous. Only takes one unexpected wave to get launched across an open cabin.

And Steely Dancer? That's why they are hard to find - or more frequently found in former Charter boats (as someone said above - but I can't confirm/deny that, as any charter boat I've been on has had a proper galley...)

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 03:39   #9

OP here—

I want to thank everyone, again, for their responses. While I'm sure everyone's specific preferences and needs tend to dictate what works best for them, it's also very interesting to learn what sort of features make sense more universally.

Our liveaboard period will not be spent in open waters; we'll be moored in a marina with perhaps only the occasional weekend day cruise. This will go on for several months and after that the boat will remain a weekend cruiser/pleasure craft. Perhaps that changes the scope of what would work for us?

Here are my main takeaways from what you've all said, so far:

-The type of layout I posted about is indicative of a charter vessel (no way I would ever have known that without asking! Wow!) and therefore the importance of checking a used boat's history is greater, because it might have added wear and not have been used as gently. Would we go as far as to say this layout is a red flag in the used market?

-The forward-aft galley layout is impractical for nearly every situation except one where the boat is stationary in a marina. I like the versatility and efficiency of a U-shaped galley anyway, but I also like my (architect) wife's point about ease of movement through an open-plan salon (saloon?) and the family-style orientation of the couches to dinette in the plan I posted about above. So, that's something I think/hope we could be flexible on.

-As we don't really expect to be spending too many nights on the open water, the V-berth issue with regard to vertical movement of the boat isn't a huge concern. Someone mentioned the difficulty in changing sheets on a wider berth and, well, my wife and I like each other enough so I think we'd be willing to put up with the extra effort.
Old 15-10-2020, 04:15   #10

Boat: Tartan 40

Catalina 42s with 3 cabin layout also have similar design though usually a Pullman berth forward
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 08:42   #11

Boat: Camano 41

Well, Steely Dancer, if you want to live aboard, you might consider living like Jimmy Buffet, there won't be much storage below. But hey, nineteen.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 08:46   #12

Boat: CSY 44

Catalina 390 has a 3 cabin layout like you've shown.
duetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 08:48   #13

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Catalina 42s with 3 cabin layout also have similar design though usually a Pullman berth forward
Also, the 2-cabin version is pretty highly regarded as a live-aboard, with generous (different) galley layout and much better storage.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 08:53   #14

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I think sets a new trend, I listened to the track while reading the post. Maybe everyone should start with a music video, not sure what Id use for my theme tune.

BTWm I agree with the layout comments, it is a charter layout but if you know that pro's and con's it all helps, whatever floats your ...... . My motorsailor has a wheelhouse / saloon so the galley is just inside from the cockpit.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 08:53   #15

Boat: Catalina 42

We have a 3-cabin Catalina 42 with pullman berth forward. Love it much and better keel to displacement ratio then most other production boats
taylormobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat