Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 19:06   #1

Boat: Tayana 37 PH
What other boats like Lancer 36?

I particularly like inner layout: big forward, isolated aft cabin, some racing capability
I plan sailing alone Mexico Pacific coastal occasionally with GF and once in a while another couple - so 4 people on board is a top.
Hunter is another option I seriously consider... Anything else?
Any advise on similar boats greatly appreciated.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 21:07   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: What other boats like Lancer 36?

So you are looking for a boat with a similar interior layout and able to provide two couples with their own cabins? Is that it? And you want racing performance, OK, now how about a shower? I am guessing that one will be important too. I am not being critical at all, just clarifying.... you'll need to provide a budget. Are you looking in San Carlos now?
Personally I agree with you about the Lancer layout, but I think there are a lot of folks who don't like to crawl into a quarter berth and may feel too cramped and claustrophobic there. I don't, but others do. And are you sure those berths provide enough room for a couple on a long term basis?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 21:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So you are looking for a boat with a similar interior layout and able to provide two couples with their own cabins? Is that it? And you want racing performance, OK, now how about a shower? I am guessing that one will be important too. I am not being critical at all, just clarifying.... you'll need to provide a budget. Are you looking in San Carlos now?
Personally I agree with you about the Lancer layout, but I think there are a lot of folks who don't like to crawl into a quarter berth and may feel too cramped and claustrophobic there. I don't, but others do. And are you sure those berths provide enough room for a couple on a long term basis?
Looking into San Carlos and La Paz. If I have to I can buy one in CA and run her to Sea of Cortez.
My GF insisting on a good shower.. Sleeping.. I prefer to sleep separately, even next to chart table. I am not claustrophobic, but sailing single-handed would like open space v-berth.
I kind of like to have some racing capability (Finglulf 34 in La Paz good example - I wish she had wire rig, not rod) with comfort.. Another interesting option is Endeavour 37 plan A but she is more cruising.. still interesting option. I am flexible on budget.. 40-50K..
Old 13-01-2019, 08:25   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Another boat you might consider is a Nonsuch 36, though it may be out of your budget range.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 10:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Another boat you might consider is a Nonsuch 36, though it may be out of your budget range.
Yeahhh, Little outside. May be on upper end. My budget allocated not only for purchase but also for after-buy repairs. And with my limited knowledge the Nonsuch 36 more like blue water boat. I am pretty far from it yet.
Old 13-01-2019, 11:07   #6

The Endeavor 37 interior plan A is similar and a better built boat. Although there are differnt layouts on the Endeavor so watch for that.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/endeavour-37

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 11:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The Endeavor 37 interior plan A is similar and a better built boat. Although there are differnt layouts on the Endeavor so watch for that.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/endeavour-37
Agree.. On my list. Problem is I am limited only with West Coast southern part and north Mexico. Shipping a boat on my budget might not be cost effective.
Old 13-01-2019, 12:50   #8

I have looked at E37's in the PNW, so there are some around on the left coast. But I must say, double quarter berths are no less claustrophobic than V berths. I like V berths myself.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lancer