Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 06:34   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Boats have a soul that lives on, with Adelie knowing the history on Wings. I just plucked the pictures from a sale's agent. You are in a great position to advise the OP on his first boat purchase. My experience was limited prior to my Cal 40 ownership, and I loved that boat. The OP appears to be a pilot, so as his first boat, would you recommend the Cal 40?
Depends on what he wants to do with it.

For someone who insisted on jumping straight into ownership with a medium-large keelboat and wasn't aiming to do anything really hairy like Cape Horn or high latitudes sure I would recommend the boat. The boat is well behaved, has a fair amount of underwater lateral area to damp out rolling, has plenty of sail area to keep going in light air, is wonderfully laid out below for cruising (except sink way off centerline), pretty well laid out deck and it is pretty well built. Personal demands for space aside, I think a Cal40 is too big for a single-hander on a budget, and probably also for a couple on a budget. If the OP really just winds up living aboard with the occasional short coastal cruise the interior layout is just OK, but for regular and long-term cruising, it is great.

I think a Cal34 would be better for a single-hander and a Cal34 or Cal36 for a couple. This issues are that in really bad weather, underway or at anchor, the smaller boats are much easier to handle with a limited crew, especially with limited experience, and they are easier and much cheaper to maintain.

Really what I would suggest is a progression of boats. Get a Laser right now and go sailing for 2-4hr every other weekend for 6-18months. After 6-12mo or so start looking for a Cal20, Catalina22 or a Holder20. Keep sailing on the same schedule but make the outings longer and do weekend trips with anchoring and navigation and all that every month or so. After a year or so then transition up again. It might be reasonable to jump from these small keelboats up the Cal34/36. If the Cal40 is the final goal, then I would transition thru a Cal27/28/29.

If the OP is a pilot then he should understand the advantages of transitioning thru a smaller craft. The boats I suggested above I chose because they should be available at a reasonable price, should have decent resale value and are decent sailing boats for beginners.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:54   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Allied Seawind II
Southern Cross 31
Sea Sprite 34
Cape Dory 25D
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
OK, so we know the budget is $40k.
How many aboard?
Where are you now?
Where do you want to go? Anywhere could mean one of the milk runs or it could mean high latitudes or it could mean traipsing thru the Carribeam. I would give different answer's.

Just me and my wife. No kids, no animals (except me if you ask her). I am not too interested in High lats except I would like to cruise Alaska once. Yes, Carribean, but also south and north America. Perhaps Australia, NZ, PNG and the sorts.

I am currently in Europe, but in a couple years I will retire and I want to sail. I am looking into taking sailing lessons while I am in Europe. Now and then I get to take a short cruise on the ocean with my job. Kind of nice.
cruiserbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Depends on what he wants to do with it.

For someone who insisted on jumping straight into ownership with a medium-large keelboat and wasn't aiming to do anything really hairy like Cape Horn or high latitudes sure I would recommend the boat. The boat is well behaved, has a fair amount of underwater lateral area to damp out rolling, has plenty of sail area to keep going in light air, is wonderfully laid out below for cruising (except sink way off centerline), pretty well laid out deck and it is pretty well built. Personal demands for space aside, I think a Cal40 is too big for a single-hander on a budget, and probably also for a couple on a budget. If the OP really just winds up living aboard with the occasional short coastal cruise the interior layout is just OK, but for regular and long-term cruising, it is great.

I think a Cal34 would be better for a single-hander and a Cal34 or Cal36 for a couple. This issues are that in really bad weather, underway or at anchor, the smaller boats are much easier to handle with a limited crew, especially with limited experience, and they are easier and much cheaper to maintain.

Really what I would suggest is a progression of boats. Get a Laser right now and go sailing for 2-4hr every other weekend for 6-18months. After 6-12mo or so start looking for a Cal20, Catalina22 or a Holder20. Keep sailing on the same schedule but make the outings longer and do weekend trips with anchoring and navigation and all that every month or so. After a year or so then transition up again. It might be reasonable to jump from these small keelboats up the Cal34/36. If the Cal40 is the final goal, then I would transition thru a Cal27/28/29.

If the OP is a pilot then he should understand the advantages of transitioning thru a smaller craft. The boats I suggested above I chose because they should be available at a reasonable price, should have decent resale value and are decent sailing boats for beginners.

I am a private pilot and enjoy it greatly. My wife and I had a discussion about that. I figure I will be able to have one or the other - a plane or a boat. I chose the boat. Frankly, I am tired of the rat race, tired of vane ambitions in the workplace and just want to have a life that is less stress. I am not afraid of hard work and have the skills to fix/repair almost anything I need to. What I don't know comes from Google, books, and places like this awesome forum! So, when retirement comes in a just a couple more years, I hope to be at least lightly seasoned with sailing lessons and a few nautical miles under my belt. Then I can pull the trigger and get my own vessle.

Yes, I do respect the progression of flying different aircraft. I wasn't planning on buying the first blue water cruiser I found and sail off into the sunset forever. I figure a few hours at a time, then work up to an over nighter or three and then maybe from FL to the Carribean a few times learning and living along the way.

You guys are awesome and I thank you for the experienced advice!

CB
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Allied Seawind II
Southern Cross 31
Sea Sprite 34
Cape Dory 25D

I have looked the Southern Cross. Nice boat!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28   #21

Boat: Tartan 30

My new favorite boat, and just happens to be right around $40k. the Tartan TOCK:

1976 Tartan TOCK Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

(edited) It's on ebay right now for $49k, I'd suspect if it doesn't sell, they'll be accepting offers....
http://bit.ly/Hmu1Tq
Old 07-04-2012, 09:56   #22

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
I have looked the Southern Cross. Nice boat!
Yes, too bad you cant afford a Southern Cross 35-- or a Wauquiez Pretorien.You'd probably need another $20K at least.

On your budget you are not going to be able to afford fancy crusing equipment like a watermaker, although you can probably afford a portable generator.

Just make sure the basics are good: sails, rigging (standing and running), ground tackle (anchors etc.), thru hulls. An autopilot that works. And if you plan to cruise in the tropics you will want sun protection (at least a dodger)and insect screens for the hatches (easy enough to make yourself).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:10   #23

Boat: PETERSON 44
Tartan is good also would look at allied princess.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:14   #24

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
I am a private pilot and enjoy it greatly. My wife and I had a discussion about that. I figure I will be able to have one or the other - a plane or a boat. I chose the boat. Frankly, I am tired of the rat race, tired of vane ambitions in the workplace and just want to have a life that is less stress. I am not afraid of hard work and have the skills to fix/repair almost anything I need to. What I don't know comes from Google, books, and places like this awesome forum! So, when retirement comes in a just a couple more years, I hope to be at least lightly seasoned with sailing lessons and a few nautical miles under my belt. Then I can pull the trigger and get my own vessle.

Yes, I do respect the progression of flying different aircraft. I wasn't planning on buying the first blue water cruiser I found and sail off into the sunset forever. I figure a few hours at a time, then work up to an over nighter or three and then maybe from FL to the Carribean a few times learning and living along the way.

You guys are awesome and I thank you for the experienced advice!

CB
Well my job is done. I at least put the idea of a Cal 40 into your head. My previous experience was only a Flying Junior and a Rhodes 19 before the Cal 40 and I can tell you going in I was thinking "What am I doing here?" after the purchase. During a mostly down wind sail to Mexico, I was pinching myself, is this for real, did I really own such a fast and fun boat? You know that certain feeling of satisfaction when you thought outside the box on a major decision and come to realize you couldn't have made a better choice for yourself? That is how I felt.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18   #25

I dont know about my favorite..... but there is an Alaquela 38 that I think is still on ebay for that money. Reportedly sweet boats much more loved than the Ingrid 38. If I remember right this was not a project boat either....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:27   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the boat i have and sail---lol
got her for 10k, added 5k, or just less and am sailingher as we speak--am in la cruz de huanacaxtle, nayarit, mexico, and i did NOT fly here..i SAILED(and motored)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33   #27

Zee,

What is your Lat and Long right now? Don't worry, I won't be crashing the party, just want to Google Earth ya girl.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Zee,

What is your Lat and Long right now? Don't worry, I won't be crashing the party, just want to Google Earth ya girl.
don't know lat n long at this time, as i am not able to get wifi on my boat-- but i am in la cruz de huanacaxtle, nayarit, mexico, which is 14 miles north of puerto vallarta,jalisco, mexico.....

and is ok if ye do crash the party--we have a place set for ye...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:40   #29

Quote:
Zee,

Yeah..... just to confirm you haven't been sending all these posts from some cheesy apartment in San Diego.!!...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
don't know lat n long at this time, as i am not able to get wifi on my boat-- but i am in la cruz de huanacaxtle, nayarit, mexico, which is 14 miles north of puerto vallarta,jalisco, mexico.....
Your sailing without GPS? Your my kinda girl, bravo.

I found you.