Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 09:28   #46

Boat: Swanson 38" 'SWANSONG 1'
Of truth and sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow View Post
The feeling, howsoever illusory, of freedom. Being master of one's own territory. Being in charge of something tangible in a pretty chaotic world. Just sitting there in the sunshine cleaning out an old toilet stopcock with the sea breeze on your face. Someone from the boat on the other side of the pontoon coming aboard with two mugs of coffee. Just sitting there enjoying what is beautiful, what is true in this world.

Escapism? Yeah, a bit. Adventure? Yup. Achievement when the lightship you were looking for comes up fine on the bow? The sense of snugness and comfort of a quiet anchorage after a lumpy crossing.

It's sometimes different things to different people. It's all these things, and much much more.

Beautifully expressed.

Maybe 'escapism' is really 'escape', from not only chaos, but also from the artificiallty of city life, and routines amd anxieties over intangibles.

At sea it's all real: concrete risks, that one needs not take but chooses; and competition is mostly with one's own character and skill, over wind and wave and fear.

Rafting with just-met people after a passage, receiving and giving the mugs of coffee and sharing tales, are after all versions of other rituals, but without the necessity (although, the old toilet stopcock...). Nobody compels but wind and wave. There is truth there.

Paolo
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:14   #47

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If you don't like fixing boats I would suggest you find a different hobby/lifestyle or stick with a smaller, simpler boat.
Surely you have heard the old adage that "cruising is just doing boat repair in exotic places"?
Having someone else do the fixing can get very expensive and will not be very fulfilling.
Knowing your boat inside out is a safety item.
Even a new boat will require a lot of work to make it seaworthy.

For me I think Frz has it on the head.
You can't relate boats and cars, to different things IMO. At least for me. You can't live in a car, its just a transporter, from one place to another. You cant really upgrade a car. You can't put in new safty features like anti lock breaks, air bags and sonar like the new cars have.

You can do that with a boat. No problem. Just takes time and money.
Now you don't have that you say, then I say don't buy a boat. Even the little ones costs and maintaince add up. New or old, no difference. So whats the difference between a newer and older boat....
Well theres the rigging, but of course you will change that and now have newer rigging that the newer boat........................
Then theres the Head, plumping et. all. but of course you can do the same.
The tanks can be replaced and all the rest.
Hull in rough shape, repair it. Need a new spar, replace it. Wire bad, replace that to while your at it.
Don't mean to sound like its easy. Its not. Haven't gone sailing in a year, while my boat is being repaired. But i'm on a several year journey.
Could I have done it with a newer boat. NO.
Heres why.
I purchased this Endeavour 40 last year. Paid to much for her, cause the PO, whas poor at managing his money and paid to much for her, but a lot more than me.. .so in a way I got a good deal... relativlyl speaking. I paid 15-20% at MOST what a new 40 footer would cost, if that. And then there is the outfitting fees. They add up. Even If I had gone with a newer preowned boat that took a big hit in depreciation, I am still ahead by a wide margin.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1

In looking at boats in the 40-42' range on yachtworld, 2000-2008 I am struck with how many there are, and the prices. plus many of them imo, and not very attractive to me. In fact, they are kinda ugly. but thats just me.
So why are so many boats for sale in that range, and whats been happening to them during this time. Probablly sitting in a marina, not being cared for and deterierating. So that means money to you.
Then you buy one of these, and pay 4 times more a month than I do. Why? for a boat that is newer, but is heading for a large refit anyway just down the road I bet. I don't believe the newer boats are built better than the older ones. More efficently. That means less money paid out and more in the builders pocket with less claims during the warrently. But maybe not the best for long term. There are boats going stong from the 40's to 60's and will still be around if there are owners to care for them in 100 years.
You think a 2006 catalina, hunter or benetau will be in that same shape....

So I paid not to much for my boat and over the next few years plan on putting in double what I paid. She fits us well, and will be around for a good while. When we finally set off for the retirement cruise in 12 years after the kids are gone, I WILL KNOW every inch of here, every system, bolt nut, fiting, clamp, and piece of gear. I will be able to repair it where ever I am. What is that worth to me? Priceless.

So good luck in your search, but remember that if all you want to do is sail, just rent and charter. In the long run you will be much better off.

Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 22:55   #48

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
There's a guy at the marina with a 30year old boat . He's 83 and goes out every day. His boat looks dated but good!
Last summer I was solo sailing on the Saint Lawrence on a sunny afternoon. For about 3 hours the wind remained a constant SW at around 12 knots, the tide was going the right way, the temperature was about 75f, both sails were trimmed just right, I was sailing on a fairly even keel, stretched out on the starboard cockpit bench with a book in one hand and a finger on the wheel....for 3 hours I felt like I was in Heaven!!!!
Happy Easter
p.s.
Then I came in as the sun went down and the water turned to gold, docked, had a snifter of cognac watched a streaming movie on the laptop courtesy of the marina,put the bug screen on the forward hatch and fell asleep in the V berth watching the stars.
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 18:13   #49

Boat: Columbia 22
Well My 2 cents worth I guess. Some of us would love a new boat Frankly I cant affoard one I have a lot of Time and Little Money so that was the deciding Factor for me go used and put in some sweat equity or stay on the dock . I have a total of $950 invested in a a 1968 22 ft columbia with trailer Ill probably have another Grand or so in it before its sea worthy Ie new standing and running rigging Sails Keel bolts etc. But i can do all that over time as i can afford to do it . So far I dont regret my decision but ask me again in a year and i may have a different answer
Columbia22 is offline   Reply With Quote