Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 09:09   #16

Re: What is so great about the Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Better in what sense?
What would make one model better then the other -- at least, in your opinion?
I am simply referring to the market prices of the two very similar boats as they usually reflect fairly well how the sailing community is valuing them. A previous model of the subject boat (Oceanis 473) is valued significantly higher than the following model (46) relative to their age. It is value for money that makes one model better than the other in my opinion.
Spermwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
I have a 2-cabin version 473. I'm very happy with it. I would, however, be willing to trade, straight up, for a brand new 46.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Start looking and you just might be able to do it. If not for a new one, but for a 5 years newer boat. I am starting to think 473's are overpriced.
Old 18-03-2016, 09:17   #18

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spermwhale View Post
It is value for money that makes one model better than the other in my opinion.
I agree - but what 'value for money' is for me, could be different for you.

It really is just a matter of opinion, so the best thing to do is focus on YOUR priorities and which boat / model gives YOU the most value for money.

The asking prices are very close for both models - are the actual sale prices too?

(PS: just look for a boat with a skeg hung rudder )
Old 18-03-2016, 09:18   #19

Boat: Nauticat 32

I don't know the different Beneteau models well enough to comment them. Beneteau boats probably meet all the official blue water requirements. But if you compare Beneteau to other blue water boat manufacturers, the general understanding seems to be that Beneteau tends to build nice but rather light weight budget boats. If your blue water criterion is to get the strongest boats that can handle any weather and all moderate crashes, then Beneteaus may not be for you. But if you want a nice big boat at a nice price point, for peaceful sailing, with not that stringent strength requirements, then some of the Beneteaus could be a good choice.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:22   #20

Boat: Beneteau 46

I have a Beneteau 46, 2008, three cabin model. We like the boat a lot. Have put over 15,000 NM on her so far, with no issues. Driest boat we ever owned, with not a drop of water in the bilge after a full season.
We put in a second fuel tank (swapped out the aft, port side water tank for a fuel tank) to increase the capacity to 106 gallons, and put in simple running backstays to stabilize the mast in heavy weather.
The boat is fairly fast, handles heavy weather well, comfortable to live on and I think it is a solid boat. I have not sailed the 473, but I would guess it is a very good boat as well.

Here is a link to a video of the Ben 46 in some heavy weather in the 2012 Salty Dawg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nwto08zb4...wg%20.avi?dl=0
newtonsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
I don't know the different Beneteau models well enough to comment them. Beneteau boats probably meet all the official blue water requirements. But if you compare Beneteau to other blue water boat manufacturers, the general understanding seems to be that Beneteau tends to build nice but rather light weight budget boats. If your blue water criterion is to get the strongest boats that can handle any weather and all moderate crashes, then Beneteaus may not be for you. But if you want a nice big boat at a nice price point, for peaceful sailing, with not that stringent strength requirements, then some of the Beneteaus could be a good choice.
My question is primarily about the differences of the Oceanis 473 and Oceanis 46 and their market values. The boats are so similar that comparing them should a reasonable enough without ending up in the endless subject of opinions. The question is not at all about the criterion of what is a bluewater boat.
Old 18-03-2016, 09:41   #22

Quote:
comparing them should a reasonable enough without ending up in the endless subject of opinions.
The prices are based on opinions ...
Old 18-03-2016, 10:01   #23

The 473 and her smaller sister ships built in similar years are built like most Beneteau 's ie: liners glued to the hull. I think the self righting moments on these designs were more appropriate for offshore sailing. They drag their rear end even sitting at anchor but I don't expect it would hurt the performance in anything but the lightest winds. One of the nicer looking boats of that time, at least to my eye.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 10:05   #24

Boat: Tartan 4100

I don't have the time to do this right now for you, but I would examine the specs: Displacement, sail area, ballast etc of the two models and run the ratios, comfort motion etc.... that would give you a pretty good idea how they compare to each other. Discount water tankage since the reliability of water makers makes this an issue of less importance, although more tankage gives you more options. Which one has better handholds when the seas get rough, think about being tossed around down below.....what is stopping you from slamming into things? Where are you planning on going? Is draft an issue? Mast height for ICW?
Here's a helpful website: Sailboatdata.com

Cheers,
Tom
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 10:23   #25

Maybe you are comparing a private owners model with a newer ex charter boat.
Old 18-03-2016, 10:31   #26

Quote:
The prices are based on opinions ...
Not true. The price difference is based on actual offers made by me for several individuals of both models.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:24   #27

Boat: Turkish Gulet, 19m

Quote:
Hello,
What's the thing with the Beneteau Oceanis 473? It is often advertised as a blue water cruiser and also often priced accordingly. Only thing I know of that makes it stand out, is a keel stepped mast and a 800 liter water capacity . It is also often priced priced about the same as the Beneteau Oceanis 46, which is the following model after 473. Why would I buy Oceanis 473 instead of the lot newer Oceanis 46 for the same money? All knowledge about the subject would be highly appreciated.
I believe any boat has blue water capabilities providing the crew is capable.
In Olhao, Portugal is the caique Bom Sucesso. 18x5.5 m with 2 latin sails. It sailed in 1808 from Olhao to Brazil to inform the king that the French had been kicked out and he could return. My boat, a Turkish Gulet of about the same size, ketch rigged, I believe has blue water capabilities, yes under sail, because of my small capable Turkish crew and wife, watermaker, dishwasher and solar panels.
We should not underestimate the Mediterranian Sea.
ColonelWima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 11:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelWima View Post
I believe has blue water capabilities, yes under sail, because of my small capable Turkish crew and wife, watermaker, dishwasher and solar panels.
Taking a boat without a dishwasher offshore is just completely irresponsible and bad seamanship.

Just look at the numbers: most boats that get into serious trouble or even sink did not have a dishwasher installed.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:41   #29

From what I see the newer Benni is built lighter with more sail area. I expect it would be better in lighter winds.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:43   #30

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Taking a boat without a dishwasher offshore is just completely irresponsible and bad seamanship.

Just look at the numbers: most boats that get into serious trouble or even sink did not have a dishwasher installed.
Funny!

I wish there was a smilie for laughing my butt off!
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oceanis