Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2021, 09:35   #421

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: What EXACTLY is a "blue water boat"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Nor mine. I wouldn't expect it.

Still, the list seems rather arbitrary. Without knowing the criteria I tend to discount it.

I believe it was John Neale’s personal opinions based on 45-50yr sailing professionally and otherwise.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:09   #422
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Yeah, and looking for a weather window they dare to do that. So basicly they are capable for ocean crossings but so are some row boats, rafts and reed boats..
I’ve taken a Jenny 42DS through an Atlantic F11 , Conditions most “ blue water “ boats will never see.

She did just fine ,

This is a BS sterile argument largely from armchair sailors. I’d prefer a 50 foot AWB any day to a 32 foot contessa etc.

Modern well prepared AWBs can take a competent sailor anywhere within reason , 100s of people demonstrate this every year. This debate seems to almost exclusive to North America.( which dominates in the sports boat mobo market place!! ) But then the rest of the sailing world is just out there sailing production yachts.

These stupid threads have being going on on CF for years with the same nonsense spouted about keels or X feature or Y feature as if the boa5t can save an inexperienced sailor. Hint : it can’t.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:15   #423

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I’ve taken a Jenny 42DS through an Atlantic F11 , Conditions most “ blue water “ boats will never see.

She did just fine ,

This is a BS sterile argument largely from armchair sailors. I’d prefer a 50 foot AWB any day to a 32 foot contessa etc.

Modern well prepared AWBs can take a competent sailor anywhere within reason , 100s of people demonstrate this every year. This debate seems to almost exclusive to North America.( which dominates in the sports boat mobo market place!! ) But then the rest of the sailing world is just out there sailing production yachts.

These stupid threads have being going on on CF for years with the same nonsense spouted about keels or X feature or Y feature as if the boa5t can save an inexperienced sailor. Hint : it can’t.
Tell that to guy with Beneteau falling apart after sailing to Tahiti. Yard answering him the boat is not intended for such use..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:28   #424

Boat: C&C 30

Quote:

She did just fine ,

Not to mention there’s a pretty big liability problem if these boats weren’t consistently capable offshore cruisers since the companies market them as such.

Quote:
Tell that to guy with Beneteau falling apart after sailing to Tahiti. Yard answering him the boat is not intended for such use..
Interesting. Do you have a name/link?
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:29   #425

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:

She did just fine ,

AWB??
Old 02-12-2021, 12:34   #426

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
AWB??
AWB= Average white boat. A term sometimes used to collectively describe typical mass production boats like Bennies, Jennies and so on.

Jim
Old 02-12-2021, 13:15   #427

Ahhh, thx.
Old 02-12-2021, 14:00   #428

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
AWB= Average white boat. A term sometimes used to collectively describe typical mass production boats like Bennies, Jennies and so on.

Jim
Undoubtedly a sly reference to this

Come to think of it, all the Bennies and Jennies I've known sail really well in weather that feels like AWB's music sounds, but I've never sailed one in weather that sounds like this so what do I know?
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 15:25   #429

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
Not to mention there’s a pretty big liability problem if these boats weren’t consistently capable offshore cruisers since the companies market them as such.

Interesting. Do you have a name/link?
Don't remember but he was here on CF or BDN some years back. The grid/liner got loose of the hull and he was stuck in Papeete as the manufacturer told him they don't cover as the boat was not designed for extended BW duty..
I have not seen most of the "AWB's" been advertised as true blue water boats, I think they carefully avoid stating excactly that..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 16:54   #430

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Undoubtedly a sly reference to this
Horrible song(s)!

If you are going to post something from that era, at least post a decent song. Lots of good music back in the day:

And just a few years later:

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 17:43   #431

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Horrible song(s)!

If you are going to post something from that era, at least post a decent song. Lots of good music back in the day:
AWB was because AWB.
I think my point in posting that was that Ina Gadda da Vida sounds like bad weather, but I'm like three metaphors and references too deep.

Since I'm on this thread now, I can say that though I've never crossed an ocean, I subscribe to the belief that without the skipper's preparation and foresight, no boat will avail in rough conditions offshore.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 18:13   #432

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Maybe we should break this into "boats you'd like to take following a longitude line" and "boats you'd like to take going downwind following a low latitude line." The boats that can go pole to pole would probably be of a slightly different caliber, perhaps what some are calling bluewater.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:23   #433

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Bluewater implies sailing in warm regions of the tropics along the trade wind routes, not up to the poles - that would be expedition boats.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:01   #434

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
I would argue the modern HR and Najad yachts etc have little in common with their previous models. They are not particularly built better then most other brands. They are fin keel and spade rudders and use all standard production deck , mast and engine systems.

You are paying for a “brand “ and very expensive manual labour techniques. Yes of course they’ll customise it all for you. Buts that not an indication the vessel is any better.

The same is true for many high end brands. I will accept there are some manufacturers specifically targeting expedition style yachts but these are in the minority not to mention eye watering expensive
& I would add
imho the supposedly "outstanding quality" of many upmarket brands is present mainly in the carpentrywork (because this is pretty easy to see even for the total layman), where the quality really counts - laminate schedule & workmanship, structural quality, that is hard to impossible to check for the layman, ... - on many of them it is just average.
examples: X-40: substantial, high-quality carpentrywork, hull-deck-joint: long selftapping screws protruding >1" (you really have to crane your neck to be able to see that)
Comfortina 42: keelbolt-washers smaller than First 40.7 (& her plates are meagre...)
Austrian 40' product aspiring to HR's perceived quality: outer layer isophtalic resin, remainder orthophtalic (they themselved said so in a yachting-rag test)
HR: which year did they stop having their hulls chopper-gun-laid-up?

As with many products today: "There is a brand victim born every day!"
Old 04-12-2021, 09:16   #435
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

There’s always a story or two. Given the 1000s of AWBs out there. But 100s are crossing oceans without issue. I mean a keel fell off an oyster and the company folded rather then pay compensation .

Simply because there is an incident of two dies not damm the whole production and in nearly all these situations there were motivating circumstances

A well prepared AWB will take you around the world if you know what you are doing. A fantastic long keeled “ submarine “ isn’t safe outside the harbour walls in the hands of a fool.

Tags
blue water, boat, water