Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 15:13   #451

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: What EXACTLY is a "blue water boat"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Kids should be able to ride public transport alone, from 6-7 y.o.
That would sure be nice. Where do you live?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 15:21   #452

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The Mahina Blue Water Boat List is still active.....updated April 2021.

http://mahina.com/wp-content/uploads...e-Cruising.pdf
Love to see my person unicorn, the Sirius 35DS, on there.

Curious why this one is omitted. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/co...-alan-williams

A mystery that only adds to suspicions about the subjectivity of this designation.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 15:27   #453

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Love to see my person unicorn, the Sirius 35DS, on there.

Curious why this one is omitted. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/co...-alan-williams

A mystery that only adds to suspicions about the subjectivity of this designation.
Guess you could check with john Neal.

https://mahina.com/

https://mahina.com/contact/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 15:57   #454

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
True, the 500 is stronger though and they did a 4x4 version at one time

Boat strength is not about hull thickness that’s merely weight
New stuff here! 🙂 As “Fiat 500 (at the bottom rating of any mini car at CR) is stronger than Toyota 4Runner (at the top of off-road at CR)”, this puts the your other claims regarding the topics in the right context.

If you’ll bother to watch the vlog you may find something…
Old 05-12-2021, 17:13   #455

Boat: Nordic 44

This is post number 455.

After all that has been said, "blue water boat" is a marketing term invented to entice boat sales period. The term is meaningless.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 17:29   #456

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
This is post number 455.
After all that has been said, "blue water boat" is a marketing term invented to entice boat sales period. The term is meaningless.
You're probably right, a better way might be to say;
A "Blue" water boat can withstand being swept by "Green" water.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 18:29   #457

Boat: Rafiki 37

The way I think of it is that a "bluewater boat" is like an "off-road vehicle" or a "whitewater canoe." While just about any vehicle can go off-road, or any canoe can run whitewater, there are some that are simply purpose-designed/built to be better suited for the task.

To me, a bluewater boat is one that is designed and built to manage the rigours of long-distance, long-duration travel through a hostile nautical environment. Not all boats are designed with this in mind. Many more are designed/built with crew comfort and recreation for short duration, short distance travel. Or are designed/built for racing and speed. Or are designed to be wonderful docominiums.

Point is that boats, just like cars or canoes, are designed and built with certain needs or objectives in mind. It's not that they all (or most) can't do everything, but in the case of bluewater cruising, not all boats are meant for this kind of activity.
Old 05-12-2021, 19:11   #458
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

This made it from Italy to Norther Ireland how blue do you want :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	249393  
Old 06-12-2021, 00:04   #459

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The way I think of it is that a "bluewater boat" is like an "off-road vehicle" or a "whitewater canoe." While just about any vehicle can go off-road, or any canoe can run whitewater, there are some that are simply purpose-designed/built to be better suited for the task.

To me, a bluewater boat is one that is designed and built to manage the rigours of long-distance, long-duration travel through a hostile nautical environment. Not all boats are designed with this in mind. Many more are designed/built with crew comfort and recreation for short duration, short distance travel. Or are designed/built for racing and speed. Or are designed to be wonderful docominiums.

Point is that boats, just like cars or canoes, are designed and built with certain needs or objectives in mind. It's not that they all (or most) can't do everything, but in the case of bluewater cruising, not all boats are meant for this kind of activity.
Excactly Mike!
Without knowing the designers agenda the first clue is the tankage and storage. If you need to load jerry cans of fuel and can't stow food supplies out of sight..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:34   #460

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

AFAIK our boat floats in water of all colours!

Graded Cat. A by the pretty useless RCD European system it is, of course, capable of crossing oceans and no doubt a circumnavigation. USCG certified build quality, for what that is worth.

We use it for cruising the North European seas and coasts. It is very suitable for this use, seaworthy, dry, with a more comfortable motion in comparison to lighter vessels. It had large fuel and water tanks plus huge internal storage.

IMHO, crew endurance is of far more importance than the boat.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:47   #461

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
IMHO, crew endurance is of far more importance than the boat.
Yes, this is often noted in these discussions. And while it's absolutely true, it also sidesteps the reality that different boats are better suited for "bluewater" travel vs others. It's not necessarily a question of build/design quality, although obviously this matters as well. It's mainly a matter of design/build intent.

No one would doubt the quality of an Audi A7 or a Porsche Cayman, but you wouldn't take one off on a remote logging road. So too with a beautiful flatwater canoe vs one designed for whitewater. Both can be top-quality and well built, but they are aimed to do different things.

I think TeddyDriver's mention of tankage and storage is a good example of what I'm getting at. A boat whose intent is for long-range, long-duration travel (part of my definition of "bluewater) will have large tankage and storage. It's not that other boats can't undertake "bluewater" travels. It's just that they likely weren't designed and built with this activity in mind.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:13   #462
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What EXACTLY is a "blue water boat"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
New stuff here! [emoji846] As “Fiat 500 (at the bottom rating of any mini car at CR) is stronger than Toyota 4Runner (at the top of off-road at CR)”, this puts the your other claims regarding the topics in the right context.

If you’ll bother to watch the vlog you may find something…

CR being an authoritative source given its North American origins

The 500 ( especially the older One ) is a very hard car to kill can be fixed with a screwdriver and parts are dirt cheap.

The point is why I made it. Real life experience is far better then reading consumer magazines

The same is true for armchair sailors discussing so called blue water yachts as meanwhile 1000s of AWBs safely cross oceans, sail in stormy waters and bring their crews safely to their destinations.

I’ve deliver Dozens of AWBs through conditions few leisure sailors will ever meet. Each boat has its advantages and drawbacks etc. It’s also a myth that the worse conditions are on the oceans , in my experience the Med near the Balearics throws up the worst conditions I’ve ever seen followed closely by Biscay in winter
( none of which have good shelter options ) both of these areas might be regarded as “ coastal “

This debate is sterile and has been going on here for years a largely North American minority opinion largely from a power boating nation obsessed with “ theoretical “ discussions about keels and rudders and displacement

Meanwhile the French are sailing the world in benny Jenny’s and so forth

Seriously have this discussion with a group of experienced French sailors , you’d be laughed out of the bar.

The same nonsense goes on about brass seacocks , yet I just saw a 20 year set of seacocks removed from a benny , the vivid were cut in two. Perfect condition. Real life trumps armchairs and “ theory “ every time.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:02   #463

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

Quote:

The same nonsense goes on about brass seacocks , yet I just saw a 20 year set of seacocks removed from a benny , the vivid were cut in two. Perfect condition. Real life trumps armchairs and “ theory “ every time.

20 years ago the seacocks and skin fittings/spigots fitted were better. Within the last ten years the quality of many skin fittings and seacocks of European boats has fallen. I blame the RCD code for this. It is a poor minimum standard.

A surveyor I know was looking at a Beneteau some three years ago when he noticed weep sign from a hose attached to a seacock. He grasped the hose and twisted to see if the hose was loose whereupon the spigot snapped off in his hand. The pink de-zincification was clearly evident. It was a DZR seacock - good - with a thin plumbing quality spigot for the hose - bad!

Fortunatly the boat was in the slings of the boat lift for survey.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:17   #464

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
CR being an authoritative source given its North American origins

The 500 ( especially the older One ) is a very hard car to kill can be fixed with a screwdriver and parts are dirt cheap.

The point is why I made it. Real life experience is far better then reading consumer magazines

The same is true for armchair sailors discussing so called blue water yachts as meanwhile 1000s of AWBs safely cross oceans, sail in stormy waters and bring their crews safely to their destinations.

I’ve deliver Dozens of AWBs through conditions few leisure sailors will ever meet. Each boat has its advantages and drawbacks etc. It’s also a myth that the worse conditions are on the oceans , in my experience the Med near the Balearics throws up the worst conditions I’ve ever seen followed closely by Biscay in winter
( none of which have good shelter options ) both of these areas might be regarded as “ coastal “

This debate is sterile and has been going on here for years a largely North American minority opinion largely from a power boating nation obsessed with “ theoretical “ discussions about keels and rudders and displacement

Meanwhile the French are sailing the world in benny Jenny’s and so forth

Seriously have this discussion with a group of experienced French sailors , you’d be laughed out of the bar.

You don't see the point, it's about the design parameters. Take a full crew on an AWB to sail over an ocean. Fill the tanks and stowe proviant where they are supposed to be and see how far you get before you need to regulate rations. If you have some leftovers for a week when it's done without regulating you had a BWB..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:26   #465
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
You don't see the point, it's about the design parameters. Take a full crew on an AWB to sail over an ocean. Fill the tanks and stowe proviant where they are supposed to be and see how far you get before you need to regulate rations. If you have some leftovers for a week when it's done without regulating you had a BWB..

This is just BS. Clearly you’ve never actually crossed an ocean

The fact is 40foot+ AWBs are taking their owners safely across oceans every year. Far more of these cross oceans then the rare semi custom stuff.

Far better to buy a 50 foot AWB and cross an ocean then use a 32 foot contessa. ( orca small HR)

The bigger boat will have acres of storage , bigger tanks , al the mod cons. Etc

Tags
blue water, boat, water