Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 21:57   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: What Do You Think Is the Current State of the Sailboat Market ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Not all people have gotten the message of the sellers market - I put an offer in at about 50% and the seller didn't bother to counter. We will see what spring brings ....
is not SELLERS market--is BUYERS market.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 22:33   #77
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

ooops, it's late, I think you got the gist of what I was trying to say.
Good case of mouth/fingers in gear before the brain got started
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 22:39   #78

Boat: in between boats

I am trying to have more patience. I waste alot of my time on yachtworld and craigslist looking at boats. Time I need to spend liquidating my junk. Everytime I think, "damn missed that deal", two more appear. Right now there seems to be a glut of good boats on the market here on the west coast and prices are dropping. My thoughts tend to be optimistic, for what I can get a 36 to 45 footer for now, I would hope to be able to sell for little or no loss in a couple or few years. If economy recovers, maybe make a little profit. If economy doesn't recover, thank god I have a boat. I am not a doomsayer, but it doesn't look good for a recovery anytime soon. Brokers still in the business have to say it looks like the market is turning, but reality states otherwise. Same with realestate. I don't know what the boat market will do in regards to the realestate market. I think there are more people out there like myself, thinking there is no profit in realestate, no interest on my savings, no investments I am comfortable with, what the hell, might as well go sailing. Invest in a pleasureable life that no one can take away from you. I can buy a sailboat cash and afford the up keep, and go anywhere in the world I want without having to pack. I can afford to buy a house cash, but not where I want to live. Then I will be stuck there. I've owned houses, and sailboats. Houses cost more to maintain, have more incremental expenses, ( power, water, trash, sewer, taxes, etc...) and go nowhere. I hate going nowhere.
I can't get the immortal words of Samuel Clemens out of my head, "In twenty years you will regret what you haven't done more than what you have". Maybe quoted loosely, but we all have heard it. Thank you Sam.
Larry
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 22:42   #79
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

many sellers have no clue as to the real selling prices of their boats in this market-- they try to sell as if they expect to regain an investment-- that aint gonna happen. when you wait until the boat you want has been on market over a year with few nibbles, then re-check the asking price-- it will probably have dropped some--- unless the owner really doesnt want it to sell.... patience is the best tool to keep.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 22:55   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post
My broker friend says the same.. but did he? That small, inexpensive boats (in the 600K - 1M range) are selling like wildfire, but the big expensive ones are at a stand still, except for a few.
These two sentences make no sense.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:17   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
I love Pearson's-how cheap?

I need a Hunter because I'm 6-6 and i need the headroom.

Whats the headroom in your Pearson.

And why is it still for sale?

If its such a nice boat?
It has been my boat for only 2 weeks now ..the po never tried to sell it and I was pushing it a little for him...dont really know head room ,would guess 6'2..It is in fresh water..could use some paint on deck and bright work but bottom was done 2 years ago with new thru hulls..ready to sail away...7500.00 FOB Charlotte NC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:43   #82

There are two strategies most sellers don't want to consider but in these times can be very helpful. First is to consider the actual cost of maintaining your boat either in a slip or on the hard. Then try to figure out when the market will recover to the point that you will be able to sell. Now calculate the total cost of waiting for a sale.

Consider a boat in a slip at $250/ mo for the next 24 months = $6000 plus! Deduct that from the price and try to move the boat sooner.

Second, most owners won't consider carrying a loan on the boat to sell it. But consider this, a $30,000 boat sells for $3000 down, 5% interest over 10 years; payments are $286.38/ mo. You earn $37,365 over the course of the loan and avoid $6000 maintenance cost above. A huge plus to your budget and some banks will service the loan for you for a modest fee no effort on your part.

Finally, make sure the way you show your boat is appealing to buyers. Pictures should be in focus and appealing. Clean up the boat so it looks good. If you can, get a survey or atleast a report from some knowledgeable person as to the condition of the boat and a list of what might need attention. Buyers want to know the truth and are far more willing to buy you boat with known "warts" then some boat they know nothing about. Buying is an emotional decision so make the buyer feel happy about the decision.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:08   #83
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrichter View Post
Finally, make sure the way you show your boat is appealing to buyers. Pictures should be in focus and appealing. Clean up the boat so it looks good. If you can, get a survey or atleast a report from some knowledgeable person as to the condition of the boat and a list of what might need attention. Buyers want to know the truth and are far more willing to buy you boat with known "warts" then some boat they know nothing about. Buying is an emotional decision so make the buyer feel happy about the decision.
I am shocked at some of the pictures that people use to sell their boats. You might love your dog, but a picture of him on the bed in your aft cabin is not going to bring the buyers. Also, don't have an ashtray on your salon table.....
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:16   #84

Boat: Rafiki 37

We've seen both sides of this market. Thanks to the great deals now available (especially in the US), we were able to purchase a new (old) boat that was financially unattainable just a few years ago. Of course, thanks to the same market, we are now having a hard time selling our other boat (a Grampian 34 centre-cockpit ketch).

Good time to buy, lousy time to sell ... what ya gonna do
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Do You Think Is the Current State of the Sailboat Market ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Also, don't have an ashtray on your salon table.....
Why not... my boats 'Smoker Friendly'.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:22   #86

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I am shocked at some of the pictures that people use to sell their boats. You might love your dog, but a picture of him on the bed in your aft cabin is not going to bring the buyers. Also, don't have an ashtray on your salon table.....
That's funny, my photo of our dog AND cat in our aft cabin bed is the one photo that has inspire the most interest from potential buyers. Check it out, she's really cute http://www.elysian.ca
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:11   #87

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

I'm seriously in the market for a solid 30 footer and have looked at a selection of FSBO boats recently. You would not believe how crappy some boats are being shown, nor how out of touch some owners are with the current market place. It is a great time to be looking and not to be rushed.

I suggested to one very tired-out owner of a steel beat-to-hell fixer-upper to offer it to a young person with skills for $100 and put in the deal that the new owner take you cruising for a week when the job's done. Didn't go over so well, but really - it could have made two people very happy.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:42   #88

Boat: Cabo Rico

If you can just zero in on the boat you want, finding the actual sales prices of boats sold, and then offer accordingly. Any seller that really wants to sell should accept actual SOLD BOAT prices as the real value.

Like Rumsfield said, "You go to market with the boat you have---not the boat you might want or wish to have at a later time."
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 14:00   #89
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Yes, this is from a genuine (UK) Broker's advert

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 15:26   #90

If you're buying, pick one that's got all the "right stuff" you want or are thinking of adding. Make an educated offer on the lower side of low. The seller can only say "no"; but it's a buyer's market and the banks don't like lending unless you've got gold ba\\s.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat