Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2010, 19:58   #1

Boat: On the hunt for a cruiser right now
What Could this Be ?

Hi all, this is my first post. I am looking at buying a 1969 Columbia 40' ketch. It looks like it hasn't been maintained for a few years. But I am a hands on kinda guy and the price is right. I have some concern about a few "bumps" on the side of the hull. You can see the bumps I am concerned about. Does anyone know what this could be? I have not been inside the boat yet, so I can't comment on that yet. Thanks in advance for any responces.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0217.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	20652  
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 20:06   #2

Boat: Able 50
Probably delamination.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 20:17   #3

Boat: Pearson 281
Chain-plate inside the skin of the hull... delam because of water seepage or mild steel swelling with rust(as had been the situation in my old boat) would be my guess.
Check to see how the chain-plates are attached, and if they are laid up in the hull check where they go into the laminate at the top. In my case the seal at the top of the plates where they went into the hull was lousy and had never been properly seen to allowing water to get into the laminate around the chain plates . It's fixable... but...
Whats the year and make of boat is this btw?
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 20:22   #4

The boat is a 1969 Columbia 40' ketch hull #53. I don't have much more info than that. So hard hard is is to fix delam?
Old 30-10-2010, 20:22   #5

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
The price is probably NOT right. This is the sort of boat that has a negative value. There is a cost to dispose of it to the present owner. Even as a gift, walk away from this boat. Other peeps will no doubt expand on this but don't go there.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 21:27   #6

I just checked at the Columbia Yacht Owners group and the Columbia 40 was built with an integrated steel skeletal structure. What you are seeing in those lumps is the layed in strapping for the shroud support and from what I can see at the website it was probably mild steel.
I agree, please save yourself some real heartbreak and walk away from this one. With that steel skeleton and a 40+ year old hydraulic centerboard you are looking at a serious can of worms
Enjoy the shopping and take your time. I promise there is a much better boat and a much better deal out there.
Good luck!
Old 30-10-2010, 22:05   #7

Butler, Thanks for the explaination. I knew the boat had a steel skeletal structure. It didn't cross my mind that this could be the problem...thats why I asked. Thanks for the comments and I think you guys and gals are right.....I need to walk away. Thanks for the help all!
Old 30-10-2010, 22:37   #8

Boat: Able 50
If you want to restore an old boat take a look at something from the Cal series. Lots to pick from.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 22:48   #9

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
This Forum never ceases to amaze me.
Where else can you tap into this kind of knowledge and experience, 24/7?
Well done guys!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 11:41   #10

Thanks everyone. What I am looking for is a boat for my wife and I to retire on and sail to where ever we deceide to go. I have about 5-6 years before I retire so I am trying to find a boat that I can live on and rebuild at the same time. It would be just me living in the boat as I work on it in soCal and my wife is on the cental coast of cal. I don't think she would go for living in a work in progress!
Old 31-10-2010, 11:48   #11

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
JamesM, I highly recommend going shopping without your check book. Look at features without worrying about price tags. Once you;ve looked at 20-30 different boats you will start to get a feel for what features are important to you. Now you are ready to make a list of possible boat models and really begin shopping.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 12:07   #12

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
JamesM... don't sell your other half short. I never thought that my partner would be up to living aboard while we refurbished our floating home in Ensenada, MX years ago. Next thing I know, she had the headliner battens out on the dock sanding away and learning spanish from the assorted dock rats watching her work. That was over 15 years and 1000's of cruising miles ago and we are still happily together. It was her home as well and she wanted to put her stamp on it... I count myself very fortunate to have someone to share the lifestyle with. Don't forget to check out San Carlos, MX for solid sailing craft. It seems that many folks sail down one way and either lose the dream or just can't bear to sail back up hill... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 13:36   #13

Mimsy and Capt Phil, thanks for the advice. I'm in the looking stage right now and do have to stay within my budget. But I understand what you mean by looking without a price tag. Look at features right now.
As far as my wife living on board it really won't happen due to our work. She lives at home in central Ca. and I live in SoCal due to work. So that will actually help I think!
Old 31-10-2010, 21:28   #14

James...
Not sure this is okay but If you are interested I know of a nice, SoCal boat worth looking at. Should be a pretty good buy
Feel free to send a private message.
Butler
Old 01-11-2010, 20:27   #15

Butler, is says I cant send you a pm. I would be interested. Try to send a pm my way.