Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 09:50   #1
cruiser

What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

What compares to the Pearson 32 323?

I really like the Pearson 32 323 but they are scarce and i am seeking help in finding a sailboat with a history of being roomy, solid and flexible as far as cruising/sailing/bluewater goes.

My budget is from $10,000 to $15,000

This will be my first sailboat so like Lizzy Bell said, i am looking for the things that i know i will need to be happy and roomy is one of them. Top of the list is engine, hull and standing rigging and everything else cascades from there.

I am thinking in size of 30 feet sailboat to 35 feet tops.

All the help and opinions and knowledge are appreciated!

CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 09:56   #2

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

I would look at the Canadian Sailcraft boats but they aren't going to be in your price range. Anything going that cheaply will likely need a lot work($$).
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 10:24   #3

Morning Capt,
My two cents ...I knew I wanted a Pearson ...older strong boat, nice lines, 32-35 feet.
I was in a budget also $18,000 or so. Well after looking at boats MANY ( you have to travel, too many no so honest brokers out there...you need to put eyes on a boat) I settled on a Pearson 35. Short story long ...many miles of travel, many disappointments ( they don't look like the pictures)., but you get a feel for what you are looking for.....so:
I looked for FOUR years, but when I found the one, made an offer in 10 minutes. (With all due digilance, survey etc).
It did cost me a few thousand more ...but I've done absolutely nothing to the boat...it's a 1985 in close to pristine shape.
Take your time if you are on a budget
Have fun
Bill
Maine_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 11:10   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine_bill View Post
Morning Capt,
My two cents ...I knew I wanted a Pearson ...older strong boat, nice lines, 32-35 feet.
I was in a budget also $18,000 or so. Well after looking at boats MANY ( you have to travel, too many no so honest brokers out there...you need to put eyes on a boat) I settled on a Pearson 35. Short story long ...many miles of travel, many disappointments ( they don't look like the pictures)., but you get a feel for what you are looking for.....so:
I looked for FOUR years, but when I found the one, made an offer in 10 minutes. (With all due digilance, survey etc).
It did cost me a few thousand more ...but I've done absolutely nothing to the boat...it's a 1985 in close to pristine shape.
Take your time if you are on a budget
Have fun
Bill
I think you hit it on the nail. Due diligence...and add fear, and anxiety and and all of a sudden i need a therapist!

That's exactly it, taking the time since i am indeed on a poor's man budget.
Thanks for your advice and input.

I hope i find my sailboat!
Old 17-12-2015, 11:37   #5

Boat: Ohlson 29

Yup, gotta be patient ...

I had my heart set on a Wauquiez Centurion 32. Not exactly a poor girls boat, but still ...
Long story short: wasn't going to happen. Too few around these parts, and the ones I did see ... Either way overpriced or way to neglected for too long (and still asking way too much).

So I went looking for another boat, and fell in love a few times only to not have my offer accepted, find major issues or just be too late and they were gone.

Then I saw an ad for an Ohlson 29. Priced to sell, since the owner was too old to take care of her and now that he'd finally decided to say goodbye, he didn't want the whole process to take forever. (He was the 2nd owner, had her for over 30 yrs).
I went to see her, made an almost (or outright) insulting offer and ... well, I'm living on her now

The reason my offer was so low was not cos of her being in bad shape - she's not. Her biggest issue is a crappy paint job on the hull. Easy fix. She was well loved and taken care of.

But ... 29' is too small for most people, these days people don't much like boats under 40' and with her crappy looking hull, she wasn't going anywhere fast. Especially not cos few people have even heard of Ohlson - at least around here. What people don't know, they usually don't want.
And the owner wasn't needing any money for a new boat, he was just looking for a good home for this one. So yeah - I figured I might just get away with it, and I did.

Happy ending? Maybe - I have forgotten all about the Centurion 32. I now have my heart set on a 36 hahahaha! I have so little room I have to go outside to change my mind so wouldn't mind a few more feet. Upgrading from 29' to 32' just seems silly to me, so the 36 it is.

But ... I do my little boat, and she'll take me wherever I want to go. So until maybe one day I can afford 50k euro's on a boat I don't need but simply want, Lizzy Belle and me (and the cat!) will be just fine

Moral of this too long a post: don't rush it. The right boat will come along, you'll see!

(On edit: and if you happen upon a C32: maybe not the prettiest boat, but built like a tank. Very well suited for blue water cruising. May want to go have a look in that case.)
Old 17-12-2015, 11:41   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

BTW have you checked out bluewaterboats.org for ideas and info? Also check the "boats to vote for list" for other good boats. Also atomvoyages.com has some good info, if you haven't seen it yet.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 12:06   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Yup, gotta be patient ...

I had my heart set on a Wauquiez Centurion 32. Not exactly a poor girls boat, but still ...
Long story short: wasn't going to happen. Too few around these parts, and the ones I did see ... Either way overpriced or way to neglected for too long (and still asking way too much).

So I went looking for another boat, and fell in love a few times only to not have my offer accepted, find major issues or just be too late and they were gone.

Then I saw an ad for an Ohlson 29. Priced to sell, since the owner was too old to take care of her and now that he'd finally decided to say goodbye, he didn't want the whole process to take forever. (He was the 2nd owner, had her for over 30 yrs).
I went to see her, made an almost (or outright) insulting offer and ... well, I'm living on her now

The reason my offer was so low was not cos of her being in bad shape - she's not. Her biggest issue is a crappy paint job on the hull. Easy fix. She was well loved and taken care of.

But ... 29' is too small for most people, these days people don't much like boats under 40' and with her crappy looking hull, she wasn't going anywhere fast. Especially not cos few people have even heard of Ohlson - at least around here. What people don't know, they usually don't want.
And the owner wasn't needing any money for a new boat, he was just looking for a good home for this one. So yeah - I figured I might just get away with it, and I did.

Happy ending? Maybe - I have forgotten all about the Centurion 32. I now have my heart set on a 36 hahahaha! I have so little room I have to go outside to change my mind so wouldn't mind a few more feet. Upgrading from 29' to 32' just seems silly to me, so the 36 it is.

But ... I do my little boat, and she'll take me wherever I want to go. So until maybe one day I can afford 50k euro's on a boat I don't need but simply want, Lizzy Belle and me (and the cat!) will be just fine

Moral of this too long a post: don't rush it. The right boat will come along, you'll see!

(On edit: and if you happen upon a C32: maybe not the prettiest boat, but built like a tank. Very well suited for blue water cruising. May want to go have a look in that case.)
I am glad that you were courageous enough to throw that price out there and that it was accepted that goes to show you that you never know what the other person is going to do. Congratulations! I have been a chicken in that many times i should have gone low but afraid to offend i went high and paid too much. I suck at negotiating.

I hope that your plans materialized and that you get that 36, it would be nice for you.

I was also thinking about a 35 footer but i am afraid that it might be too much boat for me to begin with. I also saw a Valiant 40, sailable but a project, but too much boat and with everything i have read about foot per $$ i got scared since forty seems so big and i do not want to get caught with a boat that everything is so expensive that it is going to drain me and leave me with no buffer to save for future repairs. I rather have an smaller sailboat and have the money to upkeep her nice.

I even looked at some 26's and 29's but for everything that i have read here and every where 30 to 35 is good and anything above that you are going to spend way more?

C32? I will take a look at that those too and see what's up with them. Are those Catalina 32. Sorry still learning.

Hey thanks
Old 17-12-2015, 12:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

On a tight budget, I'd say get around and meet as many people as you can, usually the best deals aren't advertised, you find a boat that the owner hasn't been down to it in a long time and just wants to get rid of it or someone who wants the old boat to go to a good home and doesn't need the money.
May not be all that common, but it does happen and the guys that go to all the trouble of cleaning it up, taking pictures, and listing it, don't usually give it away
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 15:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
I am glad that you were courageous enough to throw that price out there and that it was accepted that goes to show you that you never know what the other person is going to do. Congratulations! I have been a chicken in that many times i should have gone low but afraid to offend i went high and paid too much. I suck at negotiating.
There's always a chance your offer is refused - you can either offer more, or walk away.
I made it clear it was a 'take it or leave it' offer.

Also, I didn't just email a number, I motivated it so they understood I had given it serious thought and wasn't simply trying to get as much boat for as little money as I could.
I even said in my email they could probably get close to asking, if ... they took the time with selling her. I also calculated what that would cost

All in all, it was the combination of factors that resulted in him selling to me for that price.

Long story short: take all factors into account and if you feel your offer might not be accepted because it's too low: motivate why that's your offer.
It should be based on what the boat is worth in the market; just offering a very low price to see if you can get away with it might backfire. But even then, you can usually up your offer if you feel it's worth it.
Old 17-12-2015, 17:25   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
There's always a chance your offer is refused - you can either offer more, or walk away.
I made it clear it was a 'take it or leave it' offer.

Also, I didn't just email a number, I motivated it so they understood I had given it serious thought and wasn't simply trying to get as much boat for as little money as I could.
I even said in my email they could probably get close to asking, if ... they took the time with selling her. I also calculated what that would cost

All in all, it was the combination of factors that resulted in him selling to me for that price.

Long story short: take all factors into account and if you feel your offer might not be accepted because it's too low: motivate why that's your offer.
It should be based on what the boat is worth in the market; just offering a very low price to see if you can get away with it might backfire. But even then, you can usually up your offer if you feel it's worth it.
So when are you going to come down here and negotiate for me? I need you!!

I suck at negotiations, i get nervous, assumed it all and end up paying too much.

I would rather that it be "how much you want for the sailboat?" "Oh i want $100,000 for her" "I'll give you $12,500" "hmmm, ooooh, ok!" "Here is the money" "thank you". Done and now i am cleaning my sailboat!
Old 18-12-2015, 09:37   #11

Hey guys!!! First post!!!
What about an Endeavour 32/Ericson 32-3 or Pearson 323???
Anyone have any imput on those hulls??
Thanks,
Don
dtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 09:38   #12

Sorry, the whole damn thread is about the 323.
My bad.
Old 18-12-2015, 09:42   #13

Welcome to CF, dtuck!

If you want input in possible boats for yourself, it's best if you open a new topic with some more info, like where you want to sail etc. so people can give you advice that fits with your situation and plans.

Answering two questions from two different people in one thread gets confusing
Old 18-12-2015, 09:46   #14

You bet Lizzy. Thanks for the welcome. The Endeavor and Ericson suggestions were for the OP.
I am a total newb. Taking first saling lesson next Tuesday!!
Wish me luck.
D
Old 18-12-2015, 10:04   #15

Wishing you luck and .. have fun!

Tags
pearson