Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2015, 16:05   #46
cruiser

Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Yup, most of them do leak some (tho only a little and only under certain circumstances), and no matter how creative we get, it's hard to stop it completely. It's one of the subjects we love to discuss when we're enjoying too much wine and beer together

Everything has it's pro's and cons. Just like no matter what you do, whatever boat you end up with is a compromise.

But since I plan to go to where the coconuts are - which means around one month alone on the ocean - I went for keel stepped mast + fin keel + skeg hung rudder. Keel stepped mast wasn't a deal breaker, but a strong preference and I'm happy to report Lizzy Belle has one

Her rigging is also the heavy duty kind since she wasn't meant for sailing on the lakes (also hence her draft and bridge clearance or whatever that's called in English). Can't take her anywhere here in the Netherlands, haha!
Which is part of the reason I'm in Rotterdam, with an open connection to the sea.

Since you already paid a depost of $500 for your sailing lessons in Holland, you might as well start there and not throw away your money, methinks.

Not only do they leak, but i read that if your mast breaks and it is dangling over the side in rough seas that it is more difficult to get rid of it, Unlike the other mast that you simply unbolt and let go.

I also read that a keel mast (ok it is wrong said) it is better because if it breaks it leaves you with a stump to work with.

I appreciate your suggestion about taking the classes here, and it was $700, but i am debating all the pros and cons.

I hear, Florida, boats get a beating, i hear, buy in Michigan better sailboats, but not outfitted for cruising. I hear buy in Florida sail in Florida, way more boats, more choices, and possibly better boat with more equipment for the money. I hear, buy in Florida might get lessons for free included in the buy.

To be honest the only reason to be here in Michigan would be to buy a nicer sailboat, but needing a bunch of equipment that by the time i get it all the amount of money spent will be staggering.

Florida is winning the bid so far. Plus i hate the cold and i am ready. But i need to wait anyways.

Considering everything at this moment.

Florida=warm!
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 20:17   #47

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

There is more to an engine than its hours. I learned that the hard way. Volvos run a long time, but parts are expensive when they are finally needed. My friend bought a boat with a Volvo MD7a, a fine engine with low hours, but since it was 25 years old or so it had a lot of corrosion gunk built up and could not run cool. We pulled it out and a mechanic friend took the engine apart, cleaned it out, adjusted the valves (a BIG help) and replaced a lot of parts too. We put it back in and it purrs like a kitten again, BUT here we are three guys who have messed around with boats and don't mind doing a lot of work ourselves. To hire someone to do it would have been a couple thousand probably. Moral is: Hours on engine is only part of the story.

There are many perfectly good boats with deck-stepped masts. Keel-stepped masts may leak a little, but it's a boat, there may be leaks! I wouldn't buy a boat based on what will happen in a dismasting really.

Here is another thought: there is a thing called "search tempest" for craigslist that I have heard of. You might use it look in the northeast for a good boat and plan on learning and cruising down the ICW.

Or do your shopping in Texas and the gulf coast?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 20:44   #48

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
Not only do they leak, but i read that if your mast breaks and it is dangling over the side in rough seas that it is more difficult to get rid of it, Unlike the other mast that you simply unbolt and let go.
Almost, but not quite
This is what happens when you're basing everything on what you read somewhere - you don't fully understand the issues which makes it hard to make choices.

But by all means, go deck stepped - not a major issue and one less leak to annoy you. There might be plenty of others, and some will keep you searching for the source for a long, long time. Those are the ones to worry about, not the few drops from a mast when the rain and wind are just so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
There is more to an engine than its hours. / My friend bought a boat with a Volvo MD7a,
//
Keel-stepped masts may leak a little, but it's a boat, there may be leaks! I wouldn't buy a boat based on what will happen in a dismasting really.
I have an MD6A. Great engine, very basic, but yeah ... parts
But like you said, if you're willing (and able) to do most of the work yourself, it's fine.
Then again, that's true for pretty much every part of a boat. Doing the work yourself means it's affordable, hiring people to do so - not so much.

Nope, keel stepped wasn't a dealbreaker for me either, but I do prefer it for the more obvious reasons.
I am counting on the 'not very likely to happen' factor for both keel and mast.
But if one has to go, then please let it be the mast - and it usually is
Don't much like the idea of going turtle ...
Old 19-12-2015, 21:25   #49
cruiser

I wanted to thank you to everybody here because it has helped me to see and understand things that otherwise i would have smacked into. I decided that after reading all of your warnings that i decided that it was wiser to move down to florida.

i just found out that a ticket on the cheap from Chicago to Miami is $99 bucks and non stop. I will send my stuff via UPS and that solves the problem of the wordly belongings. It is sad to see so much clothes go and nice clothes too, salvation army it is.

I am going to keep my mind open and check everything that comes my way. I am going to look at a load of sailboats. I am going to take my lessons down there or wiggle free lessons through the buying of the sailboat.

I have thought about it and i think is best than buying a sailboat up here in a rush, then take 6 classes, and then in the fall when the weather is not so nice? Head out of Lake Michigan with no experience all the way to the eastern seaboard and all the way to Florida. A very long trip.

And like Lizzy said, "all that and without knowing your capabilities" can't ignore stuff like that. I think i am asking for it to do a trip like that in a hurry without any experience at all. But with the few lessons and a few months of practice in lake Michigan, and i don't think that's enough.

Thank you to all of you very much for being a pain in the ass in a good way, i appreciate the wisdom. I tend to be knuckle headed sometimes but hey i am a freaking Puerto Rican what do you expect. I am going to keep you posted as what happens. Now i feel like more relax and i can concentrate in selling my stuff. Anyone needs a John Deere tractor? LOL!
Old 19-12-2015, 21:44   #50

Whew.

Good on you!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 22:22   #51

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I really hope you keep the thread going and keep us posted! There are plenty of people, with a similar dream, who will want to hear how it all goes for you!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 14:41   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I really hope you keep the thread going and keep us posted! There are plenty of people, with a similar dream, who will want to hear how it all goes for you!
I will thanks, right now i am concentrating in selling all my stuff. I am continuing reading about sailboats and ordered a few books in Amazon since i like to read paper, i am kind of old school, sometimes.

I have also been looking at the sailboats down in Florida, you know, Craigslist and others and for what i have seen so far, there seems to be a glut of beat up sailboats down there, i am worry. You look at the sailboats up here and they seem really nice and clean, in Florida they look grimy?

I was thinking about everything and Lizzy could not be denied and everybody else too. You guys probably saved my life!

I once took a dare and almost died so i am a little wiser and know that it can be deadly to take an adventure without being competent and ready and like the other lady said, Janet? the sea can kill me and no one knows that better than me.

I am grateful for the forceful message thanks you to all of you!!!!!
Old 20-12-2015, 19:35   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
I will thanks, right now i am concentrating in selling all my stuff. I am continuing reading about sailboats and ordered a few books in Amazon since i like to read paper, i am kind of old school, sometimes.

I have also been looking at the sailboats down in Florida, you know, Craigslist and others and for what i have seen so far, there seems to be a glut of beat up sailboats down there, i am worry. You look at the sailboats up here and they seem really nice and clean, in Florida they look grimy?

I was thinking about everything and Lizzy could not be denied and everybody else too. You guys probably saved my life!

I once took a dare and almost died so i am a little wiser and know that it can be deadly to take an adventure without being competent and ready and like the other lady said, Janet? the sea can kill me and no one knows that better than me.

I am grateful for the forceful message thanks you to all of you!!!!!
It wasn't Janet it was Ann T. ! Sorry for the mixed up!
Old 21-12-2015, 04:45   #54

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You may want to consider this:

No Reserve Watkins 36 Bluewater Sailboat Offshore Equipped Diesel Autopilot | eBay
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 11:37   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
WOW, that's a nice sailboat! I already bid on it! Talked to the owner i want it!
Oh my gosh what a sailboat! that's mine!

NOT!

Too much sailboat! Right Lizzy! Seriously! and out of my budget!
Maintenance galore! Yeap!
You need a maintenance man for that!
I couldn't live in something like that and be comfortable bringing fishing gear dripping with water, or fish on those counters. or throwing my feet up on those nice cushions.
Don't get me wrong i am an straight guy with a queer eye like they say but that sailboat will not fit the bill.
That's not a sailor's sailboat!
That's an office on the water, to do business in.
But thanks!
Old 21-12-2015, 16:18   #56
vjm

I would think the SA/D ratio on the Watkins would stop most folks. Depends on what you are doing with it and where, I suppose.

You might want to take a look at "Cost Concious Cruiser" by Lin Pardey, "How to Sail Around the World" by Hal Roth, and "The Sea Worthy Offshore Sailboat" by John Vigor, "The Voyager's Handbook" by Beth Leonard, "The Complete Sailor" by David Seidman, and "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship".

Do keep in mind when reading that some of these are dated, and everyone has their own viewpoints. Do not take it all as gospel. If you start thinking "I must have X feature" because you read it somewhere, look up the alternate view online and think about why the difference exists. For example, storm tactics for full keel heavy displacement boats can be quite different than for high aspect fin keel boats, so getting your mind set now that you must have a para-anchor overlooks the fact that you may end up with a boat for which such a system is useless. The goal is to understand why a para-anchor might work on one boat, in one storm, and why it may not for another boat or in a different storm. Just read so you can start asking your own questions and making your own analysis.

"Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" by Don Casey is good as well.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 16:39   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
I would think the SA/D ratio on the Watkins would stop most folks. Depends on what you are doing with it and where, I suppose.

You might want to take a look at "Cost Concious Cruiser" by Lin Pardey, "How to Sail Around the World" by Hal Roth, and "The Sea Worthy Offshore Sailboat" by John Vigor, "The Voyager's Handbook" by Beth Leonard, "The Complete Sailor" by David Seidman, and "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship".

Do keep in mind when reading that some of these are dated, and everyone has their own viewpoints. Do not take it all as gospel. If you start thinking "I must have X feature" because you read it somewhere, look up the alternate view online and think about why the difference exists. For example, storm tactics for full keel heavy displacement boats can be quite different than for high aspect fin keel boats, so getting your mind set now that you must have a para-anchor overlooks the fact that you may end up with a boat for which such a system is useless. The goal is to understand why a para-anchor might work on one boat, in one storm, and why it may not for another boat or in a different storm. Just read so you can start asking your own questions and making your own analysis.

"Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" by Don Casey is good as well.
Amazon here i come!

Thank youuuuu! for taking the time from your valuable time!
Total $80.64 at Amazon. Done! thanks
Old 22-12-2015, 07:26   #58

Boat: 40' Leopard

Best advice is buy a coastal cruisier like a catilina 27 and sail for a year close to you and then look at a bigger boat .
You will have a better understanding of what its all about and you won't make a tragic money mistake.
Good luck and happy sailing
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 07:49   #59

I owned a Pearson 365 for 11 years. Great boat. Sturdy and roomy for a 36. There are plenty in the market. Some good some bad. All worth bringing back to life. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
venture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 13:11   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post
Best advice is buy a coastal cruisier like a catilina 27 and sail for a year close to you and then look at a bigger boat .
You will have a better understanding of what its all about and you won't make a tragic money mistake.
Good luck and happy sailing
Thank you for your advice

I started wanting a 40, then after being admonished, here, i then thought a 38, then after being admonished, here, then i wanted a 35...more admonishment...a 32....now i am considering even smaller.

Now i am beginning to reconsider the size for the sake of learning how to sail proficiently and masterfully. I really want to be a badass sailor!

I know it is going to take time...thank you for your advice!

Tags
pearson