Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 11:17   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: What boats might fit these criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.D. View Post
........... I just really don't like those high compact center cockpits. I know they have their merits in high seas. I just don't find them comfortable. That's where you spend the majority if the time, and that just wouldn't work. Same for the Peterson's.
Take a good look at a Peterson 44. The center cockpit isn't high like many other boats. The downside is the passageway from fore to aft cabin is not as easy to negotiate.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 11:35   #47

Thanks for that info! Are you referring to the deck saloon version or the standard aft cockpit version? On the ac version, I really like the layout and cockpit design. Do they all have swing keels?
D.R.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 12:09   #48

The above comment was about the Moody boats.

The Peterson looks pretty nice. I just don't like how cramped the cockpit is. Personal comfort flavor, that's all. I'd still want to check one out, though.

Anyone been on a Shannon?
Old 24-07-2016, 14:59   #49

Boat: Tartan 4100

The Shannon 43 is a well built boat and suited for bluewater although it will be pricey in good condition and somewhat of a dated design, very traditional, very "salty". Great non-skid on the deck, almost too much....you might skin your knees when kneeling for anytime without some padding
Not sure what engine, but it might be a Westerbeke........Morgan Freeman's Shannon 43 was on the market recently, maybe it still is??? I think they wanted over $500K when I saw it listed......could be yours!

Just looked it up, $349K
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996...s#.V5U6SbgrLIU
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 15:19   #50

Ok, great! So, here's my narrowing list. On it, there are a few not discussed, and some that don't completely fit my original specs, but I'm still interested in looking at. Some have several models listed since they are all appealing, and I understand that there may be several variations within each boatyard. Pros and cons of all listed are welcome!

Amel <50
Benateau 41.1
Brewer Orca 45
Bristol 45.5 aft cockpit / ketch
Catalina 400 MkII
Dufour? 382 / 412/ 460
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 43 Deck Salon
Moody 45 aft cockpit
Nauticat 385
Passport 40 / 43 / 45
Swan <48
Tartan 4300
Old 24-07-2016, 16:49   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Just out of curiosity, why the insistence upon a Yanmar engine? After a lot of years in cruising, that would surely NOT be one of my criteria.

Jim
Old 24-07-2016, 17:22   #52

Availability of parts, less expensive than something like Volvo. But if you've got other perspectives, if love to hear them.
Old 24-07-2016, 18:22   #53

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

drd, I think that you will find that Yanmar parts are not significantly cheaper than other marine diesel spares. Their business practice is to protect dealers by having exclusive area rights, and this prevents one from easily sourcing parts and doing competitive price shopping. They do have a good presence in most yachting centers, but we've seen that in more out of the way places, if there is a dealer, their stock of parts tends to be small and spotty. One particular source of irritation with them is the regard of exhaust elbows as being a consumable, with frequent replacement a standard practice. Their newer engines tend to be quite high RPM designs, something that I dislike for yachting applications. With red lines around 3600, folks are advised to run them around 3000 or so, and I find this annoying and not particularly beneficial to engine longevity.

I'm not a particular fan of VP either, for some of the same reasons. In general, many of the popular small marine diesels suffer from these faults, with regional popularity driving parts availability. Not an issue if you don't go cruising to out of the way places, but it is a problem we face.

One solution is to use engines based on Kubota blocks... like Beta, Nanni and several other marinizers. The basic engine parts are available world wide, even in third world areas... from tractor and heavy equipment suppliers rather than marine suppliers, and there is a difference in attitude and in pricing in such vendors! The marinization bits are still specialized and vendor specific to each marque, and this can be an issue. These engines are typically lower speed designs, with potentially longer life expectancy.

So, bottom line for me is that no manufacturer is immune to supply issues, but that Yanmar is not particularly better than others, and IMO insisting upon one is not a good criteria for boat choice. Your (and other's) mileage may vary.

Jim
Old 24-07-2016, 18:32   #54

Thank you, Jim. That info is very helpful. I will definitely consider your points. I'm not attracted to Yanmar. Whatever works, is easy to maintain and repair, and is cost effective works for me!
Old 24-07-2016, 20:07   #55

Older Yanmars were much sturdier built than the newish electronics heavy models - thicker blocks, simpler design, etc.

As far as a possible choice for you to consider (still not knowing your budget or age parameters) is Ted Brewer's Mariner 47 (also built as Islander 48). There is one on yachtworld for $120K. A lot of boat for the money if the condition is as good as they say.

1980 Mariner 47 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 20:26   #56

Wow - that's beautiful....er, but was that a fireplace onboard?!
Old 24-07-2016, 21:04   #57

After a little price comparison, I've narrowed the list down:

Amel Marmu 46
Benateau Oceanis 41.1
Bristol 45.5 aft cockpit / ketch
Catalina 400 MkII
Dufour Grande Large 382 / 412
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 43 Deck Saloon
Passport 40 / 43
Swan 44

Still love the Tartan, but it's crazy expensive.
Old 24-07-2016, 21:12   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.D. View Post
Wow - that's beautiful....er, but was that a fireplace onboard?!
That's actually a heater. Theirs is just a little larger than most of ours. My Chesapeake Newport heater also doubles up as a 6" square fireplace.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 00:09   #59

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, D.R.D.,

With regard to your criterion for the v-berth to go all the way out to the hull, I disagree. The reason is that, ultimately, anytime the boat is heeled, your back will align better with a surface that is parallel to the centerline of the boat. To me, my criteria for berths to work at sea is if they can be padded up to be fairly narrow, so your body doesn't think it's going to fall out of the tree, and parallel to the centerline. If it isn't parallel, and you're on the downhill side, your body gets pulled by gravity along the side of the hull, till the top of your head runs into the bulkhead, at which point, you start jamming your neck. This is not good for us over time.

The two settees, if parallel to the centerline, make the two best sea berths on the boat. Most people do not sleep in the v-berth underway. I'm a little bit tough, but not that tough at all. The settees for me, if it's rough.

Just saying. You are likely to end up with one v-berth and two quarter berths. Just understand that for the under way times, whoever has the v-berth, unless it is two young children--kids are pretty malleable--those people will want to sleep on the settees underway. The one uphill with a lee board or lee cloth.

Ann
Old 25-07-2016, 06:45   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Ditto on the Stevens 47 and look at another S&S, the Sunward 46
Both center cockpit but meet everything else

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote