Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 21:13   #16

Boat: Spacesailer 20
Re: What boat is this?

I want to do long term/long distance cruising with the boat I purchase. I'm looking for a smaller boat that will be a good hull and rig to build from. The shoal draft concerns me, but my wife wants a boat that can go into shallow environs fairly easily.

It has a shallow draft with a lot of freeboard. This seems like a bad combination. Am I wrong about this boat?
Old 18-03-2015, 21:24   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
I want to do long term/long distance cruising with the boat I purchase. I'm looking for a smaller boat that will be a good hull and rig to build from. The shoal draft concerns me, but my wife wants a boat that can go into shallow environs fairly easily.

It has a shallow draft with a lot of freeboard. This seems like a bad combination. Am I wrong about this boat?
Where do you want to go?
Is it just you and the wife?
How much sailing experience do you each have?
What's the budget to buy and outfit?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 04:20   #18

Boat: Spacesailer 20

It is just my wife and I, and we are planning to sail in the South Pacific. Our budget is fairly low, so we are expecting to buy a smaller, older boat that will need updating and some repair and upgrading.

When I see a local boat that may suit our needs I ask the forum what people think to learn what the experienced cruisers opinions are.

Our experience is fairly limited, but our plan is to buy the boat and get several years experience before a tough passage. Both my wife and I have sailed mostly in multihulls. She likes the idea of a shallow draft and I'm not against it, I just want more knowledge.

(SIGH)
I'd rather be sailing.
Old 19-03-2015, 06:10   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
It is just my wife and I, and we are planning to sail in the South Pacific. Our budget is fairly low, so we are expecting to buy a smaller, older boat that will need updating and some repair and upgrading.

When I see a local boat that may suit our needs I ask the forum what people think to learn what the experienced cruisers opinions are.

Our experience is fairly limited, but our plan is to buy the boat and get several years experience before a tough passage. Both my wife and I have sailed mostly in multihulls. She likes the idea of a shallow draft and I'm not against it, I just want more knowledge.
A "fairly low" budget can mean different things to different people. To some it can mean $100K, or $50k, or $25k. It sounds like your idea of fairly low is around $15k or maybe lower. I, personally, would put very low at around $10k.

To me shallow means 4' or less. Generally you can be very happy with 5' or 5'6" almost everywhere. For the the canals of Europe you would want to be down around 4' or 4'6". In the Bahamas 5' would be nice but plenty of people go thru with 6'6" or 7' and don't feel unduly limited.

You are talking South Pacific so Bahamas might be on the route but Europe is not so let's say 5' draft, maybe 5'6" for a boat that was outstanding otherwise. Less draft would be nice but you would be trading that draft for decreased stability or increased ballast and displacement. Increased displacement means slower. Increasing the sail area to compensate for the displacement would work but you have decreased the stability by decreasing draft. Vicious little circle. This is an example of the adage that "you can't do just one thing", any change you make affects other parts of the boat.

Let's say you have $15k to buy and outfit the boat. In general you can expect to spend 1/3 to 1/2 the purchase price on outfitting. At the very low end 1/2 to 2/3 because at the low end price on many items does not scale linearly with size of boat. So let's say about $8500 to buy the boat and $6500 to outfit.

That means you should get a relatively small boat (25'-30') and outfit it very simply. Below 25' is false economy since storage becomes an overwhelming issue rather than just a major issue, even 25' is pushing it for a couple.

I'll write more later, need to make my lunch and go to work.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote