Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 15:46   #1

What Boat?

I've been reading this BB (along with some others) for a while now and you have all been instrumental in increasing my boat and cruising knowledge. Thank you for that.

I've noticed many posts that say, "I am looking at a (insert boat model here) to cruise around the world with." Everyone then weighs in with their opinions. Often the boat in question is not really suitable in most people's opinion or would need extensive refitting.

So my question is, given your knowledge and experience, what boat(s) between say 30 and 37 feet loa are the most fit for a circumnavigation (singlehanded)? What current production boats (right out of the box) fall into this category? What older boats fall into this? (with older boats let's keep the purchase price under $65,000) I'm talking about boats that would require the least amount of refitting. Again, this is given your experience and abilities. If the list is extensive then just give your favorites.

Thanks
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:52   #2
Kai Nui

Why, the one I have for sale of course! But seriously.... There are a lot of boats out there, and each one addresses certain things well, and other things not so well. Based on my own seemingly never ending quest for the perfect boat, sail as many different designs as you can, listen to all the advice you can find, then you decide what boat fits your needs,and forget what the brochure says you need..
Personally, I think cutters are the best rig for single handing, and ketch for double handing. double enders are the fastest cruising designs with a full keel, and very seakindly. A boat with a forward berth is a waste of space. Lancer puts the main salon forward, and the galley amidship, with the berthing aft. I am not fond of the boat, but the interior layout is brilliant.
Keep in mind that these are my opinions based on the boats that I have owned. I would imagine that just about everyone who posts will have a different view on at least one of these points.
Boat bum for a while around the local marina, and sea what fits.
Old 15-08-2005, 14:04   #3

Thanks

Thanks Kai Nui
You're right. I need to be focusing on the boat that most fits MY needs rather than the perfect boat for every condition. (though if you believe the brochures there are many perfect boats for every condition). Ok then, back to my research.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 22:38   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I think you would be better served to get a feel for the boats you can actually acquire. The perfect boat is too far away, too expensive, or not for sale today. Then there is the condition. The perfect wreck is not the boat you want. So is the model and name of the boat all that important up front?

The simple rule is cruisng requires that you carry a lot of stuff. You need a boat big enough to fit you and your stuff. If you want to be prepared and safe you need lots and lots of stuff. So when you rerach the point where you really know what stuff you need it's will be a lot easier and you will be a lot smarter to tell what you need. It does really work that way.

I think it is better to see lots of boats and sail as many as you can, spend more time on the water sailing and on the hook to just plain do it, learn it, and eventuially know it. It's all any one can do. The sailor and crew is as imprtant as the vessel. They don't really sail themselves or pick the course. It takes a person to do this stuff well. The masters hand sets the course.

Matching what you know to the vessel sets certain limits. In the end it really is about the money too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote