Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2021, 22:35   #1

Wink Westsail 33 or Sparkman & Stephens 36?

Would like to hear opinions on these vessels which seem pretty old at 1987 & 1989 respectively, seeking the experience of the forum to help before booking viewings, thanks for your input:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...sail-33/258959

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...hens-36/261395
Knocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 22:53   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Westsail 33 or Sparkman & Stephens 36?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocker View Post
Would like to hear opinions on these vessels which seem pretty old at 1987 & 1989 respectively, seeking the experience of the forum to help before booking viewings, thanks for your input:

You want opinions?

Here are mine:
The Westsail is a pretty good design for a full keel traditional boat. I have sailed them and enjoyed them. But it is not a lively sailor and will lack in all around performance. This boat will be responsive and solid, and best off the wind.

The Sparkman & Stevens is a great design and an excellent sailing boat. I much prefer the S&S to the Westsail. With this boat you can sail anywhere in any conditions, and you will not be relegated to motoring. It will be fast, safe, and fun. You will get all kinds of haters who will spout incorrect things about a boat like this. Ignore them.

It depends whether or not you like traditional or performance (assuming the condition is equal).
Old 29-05-2021, 23:38   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I agree with Wingssail above. I have sailed a lot on Westsail 33 (that is a similar version to the American 32 model, but built in Fremantle WA).
I have sailed the 34 and 39 S&S, not the 36 model. If I had a choice and condition, equipment and price similar, than I would pick S&S. These boats sail better, more easily, and although there is less room on a S&S 34 compared with Westsail 33. The 36 model should offer similar space down below compared with a Westsail.
I see the asking price for the S&S is $20 k more. I still would pick the S&S. The only reasons I can think of to consider the Westsail 33, and don't get me wrong, I like the Westsails
- sailing performance is of secondary importance
- you like classical looks
- live aboard
- cheaper

I see that the Westsail is very steeply priced (IMO), but then again this Covid stuff has driven up prices. Would you like to buy my boat? Just kidding.
Old 30-05-2021, 02:11   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

I would have the S & S any day, just a pity about the old Volvo diesel.......Lots of people have a love/hate relationship with their old Volvos.
The best thing about the Wetsnail is the newer engine, besides that they are really a small 32 footer compared to most modern yachts.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 08:44   #5

Boat: Pearson

The s and s works for me, I realize the price difference. BUT.......WOW
Old 30-05-2021, 09:02   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I would have the S & S any day, just a pity about the old Volvo diesel.......Lots of people have a love/hate relationship with their old Volvos.
To make matters worse its the turbo version. I have the 28ho version which is okay, but adding the turbo made them a bit weak and now scarce if you want turbo version parts.

Otherwise the S & S for me too, should be great fun to sail.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 09:12   #7

Those two boats are kinda like opposites I would say at a quick glance.

Both appear in good shape.
-The S&S almost looks like the old IOR racing design type. (Big bulge at the beam and pointy bow, narrow stern etc.) I would look close at similar boat sales and determine if the price is what it should be. In the US those styles have been pretty cheap. They were built to a racing rule, not necessarily to common sense.
-The WS is a big boxy build and if anything like the US ones will take you anywhere... but slowly except on a reach or downwind!
Personally I would be looking for something in between the two designs!

Is the S&S solid glass or cored?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 09:57   #8

It has to be the S & S. It is one of the finest yachts ever built.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 10:05   #9

Boat: Sailboat 51'

Agree with all the comments so far. The missing question is what are your plans with the boat? The S&S 36 looks to be priced a bit high so there may be some negotiation room there. Many people think my boat is an S&S design but it's a Kaufman and Ladd. Great sailing vessel.
Almost bought a Westsail myself a few years ago, liked the classic salty lines but then I came to my senses.
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 10:21   #10

Boat: Beneteau

Both are similar in living conditions below. Traditional and a bit dated. The Westsail is a boat I could not consider given the tiny cockpit and canoe stern. Despite what traditionalist tell you the cockpit is one of the most pleasant things on any boat and the reason for the newer designs expanding them. The canoe stern is simply too limited in the space it offers not only above deck but especially below. These limitations come into play when considering equipment that can or should be mounted back there. I'm also somewhat attached to my swim platform and the ease of boarding that it affords.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 10:58   #11

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocker View Post

Think I prefer the S&S as it looks to have better performance characteristics. Where do they get the 36 from? It's a 35' boat. Is this some new down under wombat measuring system we haven't heard about?
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 11:10   #12

I delivered a Westsail 32 from U.S. to Bahamas for a family and found the boat slow sailing, poor to windward and, most annoying of all, trying to motor into a in a steep chop the boat would hobbyhorse and the prop would cavitate. The prop is at the end of the waterline with no hull above it, so can suck air just when you need some thrust the most.
The S&S choice is easy, though I am always suspicious of 'extra reinforced stay wires' making the boat top heavy.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 11:24   #13

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Make an offer on that S&S. It looks like a winner!
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 12:07   #14

I’ve experienced both with the Westsail 33 nothing but a 32 at the water line. The Westsail is a very well proven blue water boat that has a sea-kind motion and be considered safe in insane sea conditions. The latest bit of craziness was a solo non-stop circumnavigation in 2017 by Jerome Rand using the Cape route with a stock 32 foot boat. With its full keel it will of course not point and will be slower than the S&S but since full keel boats can carry more sail that it’s not uncommon for them to cover 120 to over 160 nautical miles in a day depending upon the wind. Since the Westsail 33's were probably sold as kits the build quality will be all over the place. It will be important then to have it properly inspected before purchasing this boat.
The S&S is a pretty typical IOR era boat that’s trying to appeal to the weekend racer as well as the cruiser out there. It will be livelier to sail and will probably handle most sea conditions one would think one would encounter at sea. Having a blade keel and unprotected rudder it will be a lot more septuple to damage from hitting debris that the Westsail. All S&S boats were professionally built so build quality should be excellent and would make it a big plus when looking at the two boats.

If I was in your position, I think I would lean more towards the S&S. If you are looking to do long distance cruising though I would really investigate the load limitations on the hull as far as carrying a lot of stuff. The Westsail is probably less susceptible to overloading but once either of these boats’ steps beyond their water lines they become wallowing pigs of a boat.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 14:00   #15

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

S and S....... please. But take the wheel out. With the Westsail be prepared to carry extra provisions, and read lots of books.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail