Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 18:55   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n
Oh, I think the reason why is pretty easy. They want to believe that the choice that they personally made, for themselves, is the very best possible choice. So they have to convince themselves that everyone who makes a different choice--mo matter the different circumstances--really only made the WRONG choice. In their minds (dare I say small minds?) they believe that for them to be right, everyone who chooses differently has to be wrong.

It's an idiotic attitude, obviously, but there it is. You see it in virtually every internet discussion at some point or another. There seem to be a whole lot of people out there who are perfectly willing to make themselves look completely idiotic so long as they don't ever have to admit that they made a mistake. Now why THAT is, I don't know. But why people will lie about this or that to defend their own, personal preconceptions is easy. The one-word answer is, ego.
+1 the one word answer is, insecurity...

I looked a sail away W32. It is certainly a capable boat. The couple had sailed from Seattle. I ended up not buying because it didn't suit the sailing I currently do. 70% beer can racing and 30% coastal cruising. I figured that boat need to go places!

The only negative comment I will make is that for me the interior is cozy for a 32 foot boat. Compared to other designs where more interior space is the focus I think the beam is narrow in comparison to others. I could see 4 people on other boats long term but if I bought a W32 for long term liveabord I would consider it a great couples boat.

This is in no way a slag on the W32. Look at the docks. Manufacturers build what sells. Many buyers are like me. The boat is a social place and maximizing socializing is what many builders are building for. This is kind of correlated by the type of boats that charter companies buy...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 10:40   #62

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The only negative comment I will make is that for me the interior is cozy for a 32 foot boat. Compared to other designs where more interior space is the focus I think the beam is narrow in comparison to others. I could see 4 people on other boats long term but if I bought a W32 for long term liveabord I would consider it a great couples boat.
First time I've ever heard the W32 cabin described as a negative because of size. Most people claim the cabin is one of the largest for a 32 footer and attribute this to the beam being carried very far fore and aft. I've been on a couple of them and agree the layout is more suitable for a couple because of the lack of a aft cabin or quarter berth.
Old 19-12-2011, 16:36   #63

Re: Westsail 32, Opinions Needed !

[QUOTE=denverd0n;841165]Oh, I think the reason why is pretty easy. They want to believe that the choice that they personally made, for themselves, is the very best possible choice. So they have to convince themselves that everyone who makes a different choice--mo matter the different circumstances--really only made the WRONG choice. In their minds (dare I say small minds?) they believe that for them to be right, everyone who chooses differently has to be wrong.

Definitely something to be taken account of on the internet. .. and it is VERY strong on this forum for some reason. I have learned over the years that the devil is in the details, and everyone's details are different! I give an opinion often but try not to make it a statement that implies "it must be this way". Sometimes when I'm tired of typing, the words do get terse though! My strong opinions seem to change every few years anyway.... why force them on someone else! We all go there occassionally I suppose, but some far too often!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 13:15   #64

Boat: Westsail 28

I've owned and lived aboard a W32 and currently own and live aboard and plan to go cruising in a W28. I am very familiar and am totally enomoured with the Cape George's. If it were me, I would buy the W32. You won't be disappointed.
svzosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:10   #65

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

Having a rigid dinghy is important to me, so I hope to hear from current W32 owners about on-deck dinghy stowage.

On the foredeck of a W32, how long would you say an inverted rigid dinghy could be before it interferes with work and/or safety on the foredeck? The J measurement is listed at 15.8ft, but this obviously includes the bowsprit.
Conversely, what is the available length immediately abaft the mast to the fore side of the main hatch?
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:21   #66
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
Having a rigid dinghy is important to me, so I hope to hear from current W32 owners about on-deck dinghy stowage.

On the foredeck of a W32, how long would you say an inverted rigid dinghy could be before it interferes with work and/or safety on the foredeck? The J measurement is listed at 15.8ft, but this obviously includes the bowsprit.
Conversely, what is the available length immediately abaft the mast to the fore side of the main hatch?
Hint:

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:38   #67

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

Touche, Nick! I should have thought of that because there's a really nice light one being built in plywood over in Port Townsend by Russell Brown and his PT Watercraft company.

They are kit boats, and very sweet - I saw one at his shop last month, and I'm sure one will be on display again at the 2012 Port Townsend "Wooden Boat Festival" in September.

PT Watercraft, PO Box 1875, Port Townsend, WA 98368. 360-385-2645
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:04   #68

Ahoy Billy Higgins,
I carry a 7'2" rigid, pram, inverted aft of the mast. The transom is removable so that the dinghy stores a little lower to the deck.
A correction: The J measurement of the W-32 is 18'0". Not 15'8".
Good Luck.
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 19:35   #69

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Westsail 32, Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Paul, not to labor the point too much but its worth noting that the in addition to winning her class on elapsed time in the 90 race - which I was alluding to in my post, Saraband also did not finish last on elapsed time in the 88 race. That honor belongs to the C&C 31 "Sorcerer"... now do you ever hear people calling the C&C 31 slow and wet?

We owe it to people who read these posts to be honest....there are many who exaggerate or lie about certain models of boats for reasons unknown.
So it was 2 nd to last? The older race result listings are somewhat hard to read so I looked at the 1st w32 win I saw. Never knew there were 2. I think it is great that these w32s kicked ass in these races. So in the owe it to honesty category are you saying that the W32 is fast? I usually just use PHRF rating as a quick guide to how fast a production boat is.
Old 05-01-2012, 19:56   #70

I just think it's good that a model of boat exists, that makes my Bristol look fast.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 20:22   #71

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
+

This is in no way a slag on the W32. .
I am constantly on the lookout for something slightly bigger than my boat and agree with the above comment. As soon as you get over the 30' mark most boats will have a aft cabin or quarter-berth. If I was going to have my daughter or others on-board long-term it would be important to have the extra accommodations.

Nevertheless, I am admittedly a bit envious of anyone who purchased a W32 as their first boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westsail_32_drawing.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	35630  
Old 05-01-2012, 21:54   #72

PaulL. You, more than most, should know that the PHRF is a rating for boats racing. The boats are rated empty. A boat loaded for long distance is usually quite a bit heavier and therefore quite a bit slower. Please take another 16 minutes or so to explain to everyone here why the 16 boats, all with better PHRF ratings were beaten, boat for boat, by the very lowly Westsail 32, in that Pacific cup.
Thanks for your time.
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 22:35   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
PaulL. You, more than most, should know that the PHRF is a rating for boats racing. The boats are rated empty. A boat loaded for long distance is usually quite a bit heavier and therefore quite a bit slower. Please take another 16 minutes or so to explain to everyone here why the 16 boats, all with better PHRF ratings were beaten, boat for boat, by the very lowly Westsail 32, in that Pacific cup.
Thanks for your time.
Suhaili won the 1969 Golden Globe around the world race, and the Westsail is not far from a fibreglass version of her.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 23:21   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Suhaili didn't exactly win because of her speed.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:57   #75

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
Thanks for your time.
I don't know anything about this particular race. Boats win long races because they have top notch crew, an extremely well prepared boat, weather that suited the boat and a little luck. This is an accomplishment that the crew did 30 years ago.
You can knock any rating approach,they all have issues. Using PHRF as a first cut for boat speed performance works pretty well. If a boat rates 100 seconds a mile faster than another boat, then you can bet it is a lot faster in typical conditions - not all conditions. Since this is a cruising forum you might ask what typical cruising conditions are. They are light winds. Cruisers, in general, have more of an issue motoring too much rather than dealing with heavy air.